1 2 3
stroker
stroker Reader
5/6/10 9:58 p.m.

Just re-upped my CCW and I'm thinking of getting serious about a semiauto instead of my L-frame. I'm about to dive into a 1911 Commander but I'm going to give youse guys a chance to submit alternatives.

Da conditions are:

1. No tactical tupperware--all metal frame (aluminum or steel) only. Prefer stainless or aluminum.
  2. Major caliber: 38 Super, 40 S&W, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP only.
  3. Single stack preferred but not essential.
  4. Only established designs--no zinc Llamas or discontinued Eurocrap.
  5. Prefer single action, but DAO is okay.
  6. Smallest, lightest package possible.
  7. Max price used or new $500.

Whaddya got? I can't come up with much.

Will
Will HalfDork
5/6/10 10:06 p.m.

The answer is usually 1911. I have a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II, but that's outside your price range. Look for a Rock Island Armory model or maybe a used Springfield. I doubt you're going to get aluminum in your price range, and I can almost guarantee you won't get stainless.

And you should give polymer a chance. The HK USPc is a great .45. If you like 1911s you'll like a USP.

I'd avoid .38 Super and 10mm. Both tend to be expensive to buy, and the ammo is also rather hard to find compared to 9mm/.40/.45.

lewbud
lewbud Reader
5/6/10 10:23 p.m.

If you can steal a Colt Commander for 500.00 I'd jump on it. Like Will said, your price range is a very limiting factor. Might be able to add Taurus to the list, possibly a used (very) Smith and Wesson.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/6/10 10:24 p.m.

If you want to pull the trigger and go bang every time, go Glock....sorry but that is my recommendation

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
5/7/10 12:20 a.m.

yeah, 1911 commander will set you back a minimum of $350, check in shotgun news for deals though. Keep in mind if you use a 1911, for the most reliable operation your going to want to use standard ball ammo, otherwise you could have jamming problems. Not that its a bad thing, its cheap ammo and punches big holes in targets. As for the above recommendations, Glocks are fine, but are double stack, which you stated you didn't want, H&K's are expensive, Smith & Wesson is fine for revolvers but stay far far away if they are semi auto's. S&W's have been having problems over the recent years with reliability, you can find them for really cheap in shotgun news. Taurus makes good guns, good quality and for cheap.

A cheap 1911 is even better if you don't mind doing your own gunsmithing work. the jerry kuhnhausen series of books are the best out there to learn how to fix up your gun. He has videos that are excellent as well, but he drone's on and is rather boring. And if you need help in the gunsmithing department, lmk. I went to school for it.

Otherwise Good Luck!

Andrew

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/7/10 2:07 a.m.

Single action? I'm thinking only "cowboy" style revolvers came in that. You know, cock the hammer, shoot, cock the hammer...Unless there's a different terminology that escapes me. Right?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
5/7/10 2:52 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Single action? I'm thinking only "cowboy" style revolvers came in that. You know, cock the hammer, shoot, cock the hammer...Unless there's a different terminology that escapes me. Right?

A single action revolver, yes.

A single action semi self-cocks after the first shot.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse New Reader
5/7/10 6:36 a.m.

Bought a S&W 40P last year, have put a few hundred rounds through it, love it. Its got a polymer grip but all the mechanicals are stainless. Easy to use and clean. Paid $400 lightly used with a case, trigger lock, and two 10 round clips (and picked up a pair of 15 round clips for another $30 each).

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
5/7/10 7:32 a.m.

Ruger LCR in .38 special

I carry an H&K UCP .40 S&W but you said no "tupperware". I won't belabor the point but it has perfect balance, is very light (won't pull your pants down with a full mag), never jams, and is very tolerant of poor cleaning practices. It rawks. Like Dokken.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/7/10 7:38 a.m.

Don't carry unless you are prepared to use it.

Don't pull it unless you are prepared to fire...

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
5/7/10 7:50 a.m.

I like my keltec p32, although it doesn't meet any of your requirements!

Joey

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
5/7/10 7:50 a.m.

Double post.

Joey

miwifri
miwifri New Reader
5/7/10 8:05 a.m.

40 S&W gives you a lot of options for ammo and is pretty comfortable in double or single stack models depending on your hand size. Recoil with the 40 in a small gun is more manageable than with some of the others. Of the options you've given, this would be my choice for CC.

81gtv6
81gtv6 HalfDork
5/7/10 8:12 a.m.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
5/7/10 8:18 a.m.

I bought my 1991A1 Compact about 10 years ago for a song and a dance... I traded at a gun show and basically got it outr the door in the box with both orignal mags (one never even slid into the gun)for $360. I still feel guilty. I've put about 1800 rds through it and am still happy.

stroker
stroker Reader
5/7/10 8:25 a.m.
81gtv6 wrote:

Already got one. If I'm going to carry something that big I'll do the 1911.

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
5/7/10 8:31 a.m.

I talked with sarco this morning, they're in jersey. They are importers of various firearms, including the rock island armory 1911's. They say they have a couple complete guns in stock and ready to be shipped out to your nearest FFL holder. I believe for $360 plus $7 for transfer fee...

Andrew

81gtv6
81gtv6 HalfDork
5/7/10 8:52 a.m.

In reply to stroker:

I had to sell mine about 8 years ago and have regretted it ever since so any excuse I get to post it up I take.

( Want to sell yours?)

stroker
stroker Reader
5/7/10 11:38 a.m.
81gtv6 wrote: In reply to stroker: I had to sell mine about 8 years ago and have regretted it ever since so any excuse I get to post it up I take. ( Want to sell yours?)

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/handguns/browning/p/argentine-fm-90-hi-power,-9mm-excellent-condition/cPath/16_477/products_id/4231?SID

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette HalfDork
5/7/10 12:02 p.m.

taurus 7 shot revolver 357 super loud flame out barrel scares crap outta anybody great for hog hunting also

unk577
unk577 New Reader
5/7/10 1:45 p.m.

Kahr PM9, PM40, or PM45. Poly frame but can't find much else that can be concealed as well and still have stopping power and accuracy.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
5/7/10 2:22 p.m.

I got rid of a PM9 a few weeks ago. I didn't like it at all.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
5/7/10 3:41 p.m.

best CCW ever..

Will
Will HalfDork
5/7/10 4:46 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: taurus 7 shot revolver 357 super loud flame out barrel scares crap outta anybody great for hog hunting also

Only problem is that the tiny stubby barrel creates massive recoil and offers no ballistic advantage to .357 compared to .38 special. That massive flame you see comes from all the gunpowder that's not being used to accelerate your bullet.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette HalfDork
5/7/10 5:13 p.m.

The heart or hind leg is great for stopping a hog , offcourse behind the ear . It's nice when you can get just the one shot off . I have 7 shot 7 inch barrel taurus with big ahhhhhhhh redneck holster The snub nose would be for conceal

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7mVZ00r2Layv9JfpwvU6v9yypwLXmrwHWgNUMyQxDC25eXw9mgmsRgEw4wWmtPWO