5 6 7 8
Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
5/17/13 7:41 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
joey48442 wrote: Wait, so, is 9mm or .40 better? Heh heh. Joey
The one you have on your hip is better~! I could relay the story from my CWP instructor about the priest who insisted upon carrying a 22 and was stabbed 63 times after emptying the magazine into the guy, but I think my choice of 40 is a decent one, and others choice of 9 is a decent one, especially with the right ammo.

I'm sorry, you're wrong. The correct answer is "Neither. .45 or GTFO".

rotard
rotard Dork
5/17/13 11:15 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
The one you have on your hip is better~! I could relay the story from my CWP instructor about the priest who insisted upon carrying a 22 and was stabbed 63 times after emptying the magazine into the guy, but I think my choice of 40 is a decent one, and others choice of 9 is a decent one, especially with the right ammo.
I'm sorry, you're wrong. The correct answer is "Neither. 10mm or GTFO".
Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
5/17/13 11:26 a.m.

In reply to rotard:

10mm is the equivalent of .39 caliber. Not that impressive .

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
5/17/13 11:40 a.m.

Actually, you're all wrong. The correct answer is "whatever you'll actually practice with enough to shoot well and have on your person (as opposed to in your dresser drawer or gun safe) if you need it."

That said, the XDS in .45 was almost enough to get me to leave my beloved 9mm for another. Then I priced ammo . . .

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
5/17/13 11:47 a.m.

I still would love to get a .22 conversion for the Springer.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/17/13 11:50 a.m.
kazoospec wrote: Actually, you're all wrong. The correct answer is "whatever you'll actually practice with enough to shoot well and have on your person (as opposed to in your dresser drawer or gun safe) if you need it."

Well I did say that...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
5/17/13 12:04 p.m.

45 ACP from Serbia, where they know all about killing people as they've been practicing since before history began, $21/box of 50 at Wally World.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
5/17/13 12:10 p.m.

I still have about 500rds of .45 left. I'm good for right now

joey48442
joey48442 UberDork
5/17/13 4:48 p.m.
rotard wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
I'm sorry, you're wrong. The correct answer is "Neither. 10mm or GTFO".

I'm sorry, my post was total trolling. Most days (though I have .40 and a couple 9mm, I carry a .32 I figure if it was good enough to kill hitler, it's good enough for me.

Joey

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/17/13 6:25 p.m.
Flynlow wrote: In reply to rotard: 10mm is the equivalent of .39 caliber. Not that impressive .

The exit wounds would say otherwise.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
5/17/13 7:10 p.m.

Carrying a .45 ACP Glock 21 4th gen today. Hybrid tuck holster with just a polo shirt covering. You can't see a hint of it.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/17/13 8:33 p.m.

Carrying a .45 ACP Ruger P345 today. Ambidextrous tuck holster with a thin T containing many moth holes covering. Couldn't see a hint of it either.

calteg
calteg Reader
5/17/13 8:58 p.m.

Carrying a 9mm Glock 19 today. Crappy IWB holster with a t-shirt. Maybe you could see it if I did jumping jacks or cartwheels.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/17/13 9:23 p.m.

Carrying a .40 S&W H&K USP today. Crappy Fobus holster with shorts and a t-shirt. It's not really visible but it is uncomfortable and bulky.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
5/19/13 6:24 a.m.

I carry an XD sub compact 40. It's a good compromise for me and the wife, fits her normal, fits me great with the extended mag. If I had to do it over again I would probably get it in 9mm for higher capacity and cheaper range days. I think I'm just biased toward 40 cal for no other reason than that's the caliber I carry at the day job.

stroker
stroker Dork
7/1/13 6:07 p.m.

finally got out and shot my new XDS this weekend. It's got a pretty good case of muzzle flip but the accuracy was good and it swallowed three full magazines of hardball without a hiccup. The magazine release is a bit sticky. That's the only gripe I have about it. One of these days I'll have time and ammo to go give it a proper wringing out.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/1/13 6:17 p.m.
Flynlow wrote: In reply to rotard: 10mm is the equivalent of .39 caliber. Not that impressive .

Hah, and the Grand Am has the same wheelbase as the McLaren F1. Same thing, basically.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/16/13 6:34 a.m.

Just wanted to update this. I got a IWB holster from this guy and my Glock 23 disappears behind a normal fitting T shirt, even with shorts. Amazing

www.ozarksholstercompany.com

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
7/16/13 8:20 a.m.

Carrying a S&W Model 64 .38 Special highly visible on my right hip. Oops. This isn't the open carry thread.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
7/16/13 10:30 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

This threads existence makes me want to go pick up another single action revolver and get a gunbelt made......just to make fun of the concealed part.

Oddly enough, I have been carrying my 1903/8 Colt pocket hammerless everywhere.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
7/16/13 11:56 a.m.

Wow, semi-zombie thread.

My update: I ended up buying a SW M & P Shield in 9mm for my concealed carry gun. I was fortunate enough to get one at a Gander Mountain grand opening, because most local shops had a waiting list of at least a year. So far, I really like it. Doesn't feel like a toy like most of the .380's I've shot in the past, but much easier to conceal than my Springfield XD compact. Recoil is manageable. It comes with an eight round mag which allows me to get my full hand on the grip and a "short" 7 round mag that leaves my pinky just touching the bottom of the magazine. With the "short" mag, it will pretty easily drop into the pocket of a pair of cargo shorts. The only downside is it is large/heavy enough that it sillouettes itself if you pocket carry it, so its not entirely concealed. A simple universal soft leather holster breaks up the outline pretty well. Accuracy is almost as good as the XD in a smaller, lighter package. Highly recommended if you can find one.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
7/16/13 12:21 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec:

You listed the exact reason I won't buy one of the tiny .380's. +1

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/16/13 12:44 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: Wow, semi-zombie thread. My update: I ended up buying a SW M & P Shield in 9mm for my concealed carry gun. I was fortunate enough to get one at a Gander Mountain grand opening, because most local shops had a waiting list of at least a year. So far, I really like it. Doesn't feel like a toy like most of the .380's I've shot in the past, but much easier to conceal than my Springfield XD compact. Recoil is manageable. It comes with an eight round mag which allows me to get my full hand on the grip and a "short" 7 round mag that leaves my pinky just touching the bottom of the magazine. With the "short" mag, it will pretty easily drop into the pocket of a pair of cargo shorts. The only downside is it is large/heavy enough that it sillouettes itself if you pocket carry it, so its not entirely concealed. A simple universal soft leather holster breaks up the outline pretty well. Accuracy is almost as good as the XD in a smaller, lighter package. Highly recommended if you can find one.

That is a pretty small piece. I've shot it before. Also, remarkably inexpensive for a nice gun. I didn't like it as much as the Glock, so I bought the aforementioned 23. I can easily conceal the 23, and the Shield is much smaller. Have you explored a few other holsters yet? I'm 6'1 160lb, and Sperlo is small carrying a bigger gun. You ought to be able to hide this thing.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
7/16/13 1:03 p.m.

I can conceal a full size 1911. Concealability isn't much of a factor for me, unless it's a full size battle rifle. Even then, a raincoat would probably take care of that.

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer HalfDork
7/16/13 1:06 p.m.

Just order an AleinGear IWB for my Glock 23 and one for SWMBO's Taurus PT111. We'll see how they work out. I have a cheap IWB for the G 23 but it is less than comfortable.

I had originally planned to get a Glock 19 but was unable to fined one and the 23 seemed to be a good alternative. So far, I like it.

5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7L0BaX4HXgcMvEGzyd9LuzQrkeWTIiPr9Qf9g3ZnW31DMw2FCj2syKohwRrsYxnW