1 2 3
Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/23/09 10:31 a.m.

anyone here try it?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Concrete-Countertops-for-the-Kitchen---Solid-Surfa/

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
7/23/09 11:00 a.m.

Not good for the kitchen since they are porous enough to harbor germs. They also stain more than does stone. So lot's of maintenance and sealing

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
7/23/09 11:11 a.m.

You can seal the bejesus out of it and always use a good plastic cutting board; nothing dulls the edge of your favorite chef's knife faster than concrete.

OTOH, it should likely last forever.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
7/23/09 12:56 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote: OTOH, it should likely last forever.

Well, except for the cracking part. But wait! I'm told that's part of the beauty of the concrete counter tops.

I'd not hesitate to use them in the bath, but I've talked to people who have them and they are WAY too much maintenance for the kitchen. Stains are an everyday occurance in the kitchen

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/23/09 1:33 p.m.

I though about doing some for my kitchen when I redo it...but it just looks like way too much time and effort involved. If it was something analaogous on an automotive project, I'd still do it. I'm not so enthusiastic about counters though.

Clem

nderwater
nderwater Reader
7/23/09 3:00 p.m.

Friends of ours did a quick and dirty concrete counters when they renovated the kitchen in their 1940's bungalow. Setup and install were quick and cheap, but they did spend several days applying the sealer. They've been happy with the results.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Reader
7/23/09 3:33 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote: OTOH, it should likely last forever.

Or until your wife gets tired of it in 10 years and wants something else, or you go to sell your house at that time and your realtor tells you that concrete makes your kitchen "dated" and you should change it for whatever the new hotness is in 2019. Then you have to deal with trying to remove it. Something to consider down the road....

BAMF
BAMF Reader
7/23/09 10:27 p.m.

A friend of my boss does concrete counters. So my boss made a mold for a bathroom sink. He claims they rarely do any special cleaning to it and it looks new.

Dan G
Dan G Dork
7/23/09 11:47 p.m.

I'm moving into a new apartment this weekend. Its in nice shape except for the kitchen counters. They're a hideous shade of brown, like saddle leather. The apartment is rented, so its not like I'm going to renovate anything, but I've decided I'm going to attempt to paint them a faux granite finish. I was skeptical at first, but I've read some really positive results from non-skilled people. I think the trick is in the final step, a thick layer of glossy resin called Envirotex that really sells the illusion of granite.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf999197.tip.html (scroll down and look at the before/after shots)

I'm not much of an artist, but hopefully it comes out looking ok. At least the current look has set the bar really low.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/24/09 9:12 a.m.
Dan G wrote: I'm moving into a new apartment this weekend. Its in nice shape except for the kitchen counters. They're a hideous shade of brown, like saddle leather. The apartment is rented, so its not like I'm going to renovate anything, but I've decided I'm going to attempt to paint them a faux granite finish. I was skeptical at first, but I've read some really positive results from non-skilled people. I think the trick is in the final step, a thick layer of glossy resin called Envirotex that really sells the illusion of granite. http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf999197.tip.html (scroll down and look at the before/after shots) I'm not much of an artist, but hopefully it comes out looking ok. At least the current look has set the bar really low.

That seems incredibly cheesy, but the results look fantastic. I'm intrigued.

andrave
andrave Reader
7/24/09 10:28 a.m.

A friend of mine lived in this mansion (think 5000 sq feet) that he and his roommate (a contractor) built to their tastes. They put in concrete countertops and had a big party... EVERYONE was like "ohhh these are so unique and nice and blah blah" I thought they looked like E36 M3. His had been sealed up so they weren't porous at all... but they just looked kinda crummy to me.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
7/24/09 11:52 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I though about doing some for my kitchen when I redo it...but it just looks like way too much time and effort involved. If it was something analaogous on an automotive project, I'd still do it. I'm not so enthusiastic about counters though. Clem

imagine its your garage floor?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/24/09 12:32 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Not good for the kitchen since they are porous enough to harbor germs. They also stain more than does stone. So lot's of maintenance and sealing

Granite, stone, quartz, and any other natural material are also porous enough to harbor germs. They all need to be sealed.

I do them all.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/24/09 12:35 p.m.
Dan G wrote: I'm moving into a new apartment this weekend. Its in nice shape except for the kitchen counters. They're a hideous shade of brown, like saddle leather. The apartment is rented, so its not like I'm going to renovate anything, but I've decided I'm going to attempt to paint them a faux granite finish. I was skeptical at first, but I've read some really positive results from non-skilled people. I think the trick is in the final step, a thick layer of glossy resin called Envirotex that really sells the illusion of granite. http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf999197.tip.html (scroll down and look at the before/after shots) I'm not much of an artist, but hopefully it comes out looking ok. At least the current look has set the bar really low.

Painted countertops sound like a really terrible idea, but I've never heard of Envirotex, so that might make the difference. They do look good.

andrave
andrave Reader
7/24/09 12:37 p.m.

Oh and btw his conrete countertops were not smooth and polished like the ones in the link, they were urban style, kinda rough edges, visible cement, etc.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
7/24/09 1:18 p.m.
Strizzo wrote:
ClemSparks wrote: I though about doing some for my kitchen when I redo it...but it just looks like way too much time and effort involved. If it was something analaogous on an automotive project, I'd still do it. I'm not so enthusiastic about counters though. Clem
imagine its your garage floor?

Changing oil at the kitchen sink...in my mind right now

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 New Reader
7/24/09 1:43 p.m.

we had pink counters with a brown sink in our old house. My wife painted the counter a eggshell color with latex wall paint and then sealed it with several layers of polyurethane. We lived there for two more years, rented the house for a year and sold it to my brother a year ago. They look like eggshell Formica and have held up perfect except for one small spot the size of a dime that the renter messed up by putting a hot pan on the bare counter. No one is going to confuse them for high end counters, but no one has guessed that they were painted for $30 either.

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
7/24/09 2:11 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: we had pink counters with a brown sink in our old house. My wife painted the counter a eggshell color with latex wall paint and then sealed it with several layers of polyurethane. We lived there for two more years, rented the house for a year and sold it to my brother a year ago. They look like eggshell Formica and have held up perfect except for one small spot the size of a dime that the renter messed up by putting a hot pan on the bare counter. No one is going to confuse them for high end counters, but no one has guessed that they were painted for $30 either.

I am curious to learn more about painted counter tops. We have a rental house we are going to spruce up to sell. I want to paint both the counter tops and the cabinets. All are laminate.

I have seen the concrete counter too. The people that did it left a little 'roughness' to it. Also had a lot of sealant. End product was pretty awesome.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
7/24/09 2:38 p.m.

I want to do the stamped floor concrete deal for the hunting camp cabins in keaton beach , need to score some of those stomp rubber mats while the housing/construction market is down . Just scored window walls <<< big freakin window for free >>> that will cut down on construction cost . http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/mariesigns/?action=view&current=024-4.flv Keaton beach fl

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/24/09 4:16 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: we had pink counters with a brown sink in our old house. My wife painted the counter a eggshell color with latex wall paint and then sealed it with several layers of polyurethane. We lived there for two more years, rented the house for a year and sold it to my brother a year ago. They look like eggshell Formica and have held up perfect except for one small spot the size of a dime that the renter messed up by putting a hot pan on the bare counter. No one is going to confuse them for high end counters, but no one has guessed that they were painted for $30 either.

Wow, that's a surprise.

Did she sand the sheen of the laminate first? No peeling? Latex polyurethane?

Polyurethane is not FDA approved, however it has not been proven problematic either. The manufacturers simply don't submit it for testing.

Dan G
Dan G Dork
7/24/09 5:42 p.m.

Here are the basic instructions for painting laminate countertops:

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Paint-Laminate-Countertops---4-Easy-Steps&id=107890

Basically:

1) sand/scuff/clean original surface. rough it up to receive paint

2) use a bonding primer like Klitz

3) paint the granite design

4) coat with clear. Some use poly, but the "Envirotex" stuff does not contain VOCs and is "enviro" friendly. It should be safer to use around food than some of the nasties in a regular clear poly.

alex
alex HalfDork
7/24/09 5:53 p.m.

I came for the concrete counters (I've been thinking of it for the new house, but it looks like waaaay too much hassle to build and maintain), and now I'm totally intrigued by the painted laminate. My dad has what's basically a teardown house on some property out in the country, which he wants me to renovate to sell. Maybe I'll give it a shot out there.

EDIT: I read through that link. Dan, you can basically replace Step 3 with 'paint however you damn well please,' then proceed to step 4, 'seal the crap out of it.'

This opens up a wealth of possibilities. Maybe my little half bath off the kitchen needs a hot rod theme. Paint the counter flat black, get somebody to come out and stripe it, clear it, throw some vintage rock n roll posters on the wall, call it a day...

Man, this has my wheels turning.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
7/24/09 6:08 p.m.

Some tenants in one of our rental houses actually used regular latex wall paint to cover the countertop. They also painted the stainless steel sink and the faucet.

Needless to say, it all had to be replaced.

Epic fail.........

nocarbud
nocarbud New Reader
7/24/09 7:53 p.m.

Before you do anything with concrete countertops, look this book up. This guy is IT when it comes to concrete countertops. I met the guy at the National Kitchen and Bath Industry show a few years ago. Very interesting guy. Very down to earth, and he knows EVERYTHING about concrete counters. I was going to put them in my house, but the time factor in getting my kitchen done (I was doing it by myself.) forced me to get acrylic countertops that looked like a concrete finish. (don't judge me, it was what the ex wanted.) I've learned to like them, but the real deal would have been much nicer. I'm going to build a bar with concrete top, and I'm going to put them in my next house as well. but definately get this book... http://www.contractorguides.com/concoun.html

Spitsix
Spitsix New Reader
7/24/09 9:18 p.m.

link

Our Concrete bathroom counter has poured in fiber optic lights!

Scott

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LTXbvbcuxZNHH7JJVJ7rsPhZgLdYt3QX0R4fPjNPtQAPoh4g8EH3Ynk4GHprohFC