1 2
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/15/19 9:22 p.m.

Lemon party?

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
6/15/19 9:28 p.m.

Booze n weed. Dart board or pinata for fun prizes.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
6/15/19 11:41 p.m.

We combined theater people (my wife), and vet school people (me) for some really fun parties.

We read ancient Greek comedies by Aristophanes. Clouds, Lysistrata, and Frogs.

What was socially acceptable at that time isn't today, so it needs to be a pretty liberal and open minded crowd. This stuff is seriously vulgar by contemporary standards.

Really funny, and was a huge hit. The crowd got bigger every time we did it, to the point where we had to limit the number of people invited.

For our wedding rehearsal dinner, we set up a table full of craft supplies. Most of the people didn't know each other, so we drew names. You had to find out details about the person whose name you drew, then make a custom hat for them, without giving away who you were paired up with.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
6/16/19 6:09 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Canadian politics at a party? Lol

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/16/19 7:10 a.m.

If board games,  Oregon trail is massively fun. 

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
6/16/19 11:48 a.m.

Ok.  I have procured pictionary cards and cards against humanity from a friend.  I also have an easel and a dry erase board.  Plus I set my TV/receiver to accept all bluetooth and casting so we can play DJ.

We MIGHT get a break with the weather.  It says 60% of thunderstorms starting at 2pm all the way til late, but also says total accumulation is to be less than 1/4".  To me that sounds like a front is moving through and we might get a stormy blast for 15 minutes, then stoke up the fire and go back outside.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
6/16/19 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Some years ago I saw a modern adaptation of Lysistrata staged by a theatre group here in Richmond on the campus of VCU.  I had read the play in a lit class years before, so I knew what to expect.  It was over-the-top hilarious with the male members of the cast sporting huge swinging phalluses. 

Even so, I'm not sure I agree with your statement about it being more "vulgar" than contemporary art.  We're plenty vulgar today.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
6/16/19 7:03 p.m.

How's the party going?

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
6/17/19 8:52 a.m.

Happy to report the party was a huge success.  We never got to the games, just great conversation.  It ended up being a good mix of people.  It got started around 5 and the last person left at 11... right when the rain started.  Perfect weather.

12 people decimated 7 lbs of brisket and an 11 lb smoked turkey, and they all brought great food.  Toward the end of the evening, we all sat around the fire and watched the projector shining on the side of the garage.  I was playing "Moving Art" which is on Netflix.  It's just HD footage of pretty things like coral reefs, deserts, forests, etc.  We were giving voices to all the fish on the reef.  Actors.

Thanks all.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
6/17/19 8:55 a.m.

Thanks for the update! It's been fun to follow this thread.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/17/19 9:29 a.m.
Curtis said:

We were giving voices to all the fish on the reef.  Actors doing one hitters.

Thanks all.

Fixed it. 

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
6/17/19 9:38 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
Curtis said:

We were giving voices to all the fish on the reef.  Actors passing two bowls and a bong.

Thanks all.

Fixed it. 

Re-fixed it.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/17/19 11:59 a.m.

I’m 56 years old and quit 30+ years ago but with it becoming legal in the future and seeing a bunch of brass one hitters at a gas station recently I’m starting to ask myself how can a one hitter hurt once in a while?

The problem is that it turns into a one hitter 40 times during the day.  

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
6/17/19 12:50 p.m.

I harbor a strong dislike for games and activities at parties.  The activities should be conversation, good food, and maybe getting a good party buzz on.  My favorite party activities have been things like "can you fix this lawn mower" or "lets all take down this tree and split the wood".  Games tend to just get in the way.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/17/19 4:55 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I’m 56 years old and quit 30+ years ago but with it becoming legal in the future and seeing a bunch of brass one hitters at a gas station recently I’m starting to ask myself how can a one hitter hurt once in a while?

The problem is that it turns into a one hitter 40 times during the day.  

Never done it, and I'm sort of in the same boat. From what I understand it could help a lot of what is causing me drama. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/17/19 11:00 p.m.

My wife's "horsey people club" has a christmas party every year and the "mandatory fun" party games are just awful. Just let people talk and get to know each other.

Last year they had all of us write something someone might not know about us on a slip of paper a couple weeks before the bash. On party night we all got a list of these facts and had to go around asking folks and whoever got the most names correct "won".

I started admitting to random things just to keep it interesting. 

"Why yes, I did own a burmese python"

"Yes, I did run a nudist colony for several years"

I still think my way was better.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/18/19 7:59 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

I woulda just made E36 M3 up from the beginning to add to the list. Yes I am in witness protection.  

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
6/18/19 11:49 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I once claimed to be the Junior Senator from Iowa at a dinner party (train).  Wearing a suit lets you get away with a lot of stuff.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M1KMtIbqjgqPaO5OS2z2x4EE1HCdFswly0RasJsgbWEAgjsWsw1L2UDEptEPKT1b