btabacchi
btabacchi
3/5/10 12:55 p.m.

Exciting stuff going on in Columbus, Ohio.

If you have a moment please check out the proposed new $30 to 40 million multi-sports arena and Auto Technology center that includes 1/2 mile race track to be constructed on the former Cooper Stadium site. The graphics and video show a grass infield, but one of Ohio Valley Region-SCCA own (Jon Beerman) has approached the developer and suggested that they entirely pave the infield area to accommodate autocross events - and they have agreed!!! So if the project becomes a reality OVR may have a pretty cool site to hold events in future. This is a unique concept is much more than simply a race track, and it has very real potential to become a real deal - the developer already has the option to buy the property, the desire to do it, and the ability to privately fund it. They are working to address neighborhood concerns and zoning issues before they pull the trigger.

Check out the proposal and watch the video here: www.cooperparkcomplex.com

As always though, there is a local group that has formed to resist the proposal due to potential noise concerns. However, the developer is also spending over 5 million on a 35' foot sound wall to encase the track portion of the facility. Another effort to show support for the proposal is being led by several OVR members and is gaining steam - including an online petition to reflect support for the proposal.

Check out www.coopertalk.info for a link to the petition.

If you read the info and support the complex please take a moment to ad your name to the petition. We feel that the facility has potential to draw spectators and enthusiasts from all over the region so you don't have to be a local resident to support the effort.

Thanks,

Bruno Tabacchi Ohio Valley Region-SCCA

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Dork
3/5/10 10:24 p.m.

wow looks nice, sighn'd it too

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku Dork
3/6/10 10:22 a.m.

One more sig to support

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/6/10 11:31 a.m.

Signed

81gtv6
81gtv6 Reader
3/7/10 4:25 p.m.

Done.

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
3/7/10 5:15 p.m.

signed, hope it goes through

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
3/8/10 7:50 a.m.

Signed. Would like to see it happen.

I live about 1 mile (as the crow flies) from here
http://www.sanduskyspeedway.com/
Trust me, it can be loud!
Sure, there are no 35ft walls but I really expect that is going to cut down very little noise.

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
3/8/10 6:56 p.m.

In reply to jrw1621:

Thanks for the support and signatures. Another feature of the facility intended to limit noise is the track grade itself. It will be lowered 7 to 10 feet which in effect puts the track in a bowl. This combined with the walls, and the fact that two interstate highways separate the complex from the nearest residential areas, should go a long way towards keeping the peace.

The developers are really looking at this as a template for the design and construction of similar venues throughout the country. There is some really innovative thinking here that could eventually become a very positive factor for the entire motor sports community.

Hopefully more will join the effort to support the proposal and help spread the word.

Thanks again, Bruno Tabacchi

BeerMan
BeerMan
6/14/11 11:47 a.m.

Hey Everybody,

I want to bring this project back into the news. We have FINALLY reached the point where the Columbus City Council is ready to hold hearings on the Cooper Park Complex. As Bruno mentioned in his original post, this new motorsports complex is going to be a really cool site where we can host many different kinds of activities. The biggest immediate benefit will be to the AutoX community. It obvioulsy won't have the acreage of some of our national event sites, but it will feature a stadium atmosphere that is unique to our activity.

A big public hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, June 21st in Columbus, OH. to gage public opinion. As we approach that date, the city has told us that they will be closely monitoring incoming phone call and Emails about Cooper Park. So please go to www.cooperparkcomplex.com and click on the link to have an Email sent to our city voicing your support. There are also phone numbers listed for you to leave a viocemail in support of the project.

It doesn't matter if you live far away from Ohio. We want to prove to Columbus that this new motorsports facility will draw attention from other regions as well. Please help us push Cooper Park Complex over the top.

Thanks for your support,

Jon Beerman

Ohio Valley Region - SCCA

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
6/14/11 12:26 p.m.

+1

Even better if my company can be involved in it's construction! I know we've done some preliminary budgets and estimates for somebody, just not sure who.

Between this and the promising outlook of autox at the Wilmington Air Park, there could be a lot of new racing opportunities in the central/southwest Ohio area!

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
12/21/12 12:19 a.m.

Just thought I would post an update on this, it's gonna happen!!! The development has received the cities blessing, purchased the site, completed a ceremonial ground breaking and earth moving should begin soon.

The development has received a new name; Sports Pavilion & Automotive Research Complex (SPARC). Here's a link to the updated website. (note that Michael Waltrip has become involved with the project)

www.sparcohio.com

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
12/21/12 5:08 a.m.

Awesome, potential site for the Ohio $2013 challenge

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
12/21/12 5:12 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Awesome, potential site for the Ohio $2013 challenge

OK $2014

logdog
logdog HalfDork
12/21/12 5:52 a.m.

I was still living in Columbus when this was first proposed. I dont remember what all the ideas for Cooper Stadium where but I remember reading the list in the Dispatch and thinking this would be the absolute last thing Coleman would let happen. Im very excited to see this happen. The West Side needs all the help it can get.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2EkPfEa1z7piXQXjGr9FqJuz8wiR7VEk29iKYcTwAl77bmCuLXylP84Pdwvlw68G