1 2 3 4 5
MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/3/20 8:51 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
MrJoshua said:

Step 9) Phase 3 large scale trials (1+ years). 

A year plus means significantly longer than 1 year for just the trial stage prior to FDA approval. Where are we on this timeline? 

I'm not sure exactly where that number came from,

From your post.

I wasn’t allowed to say anything until today, but it's now okay for me to share that I have volunteered for the Covid-19 vaccine from Pfizer. The vaccine is the one that has been developed in Russia. It is in 6 different stages and I received my first dose this morning at 06:20 am, and I wanted to let you all know that it is safe and I’m ok, with иo side effects whatsoeveя, and that I feelshκι я чувю себя немного стрно и я думю, что вытл осные уши. чувству себя немго страо. Comrade.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/3/20 8:54 p.m.

I will likely be getting the vaccine somewhere in the earlier phases because I work in healthcare and we are considered essential. I am skeptical of everything so I am reluctant to go early but the choice will likely be made for me. If I have no serious side effects I will be very glad I got it.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/3/20 8:54 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

smiley

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
12/3/20 9:02 p.m.

Cool. Can you help me find a Lada Niva?

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I would love one iof those. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
12/3/20 9:11 p.m.

Must get Moose and Squirrell. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/3/20 9:22 p.m.
MrJoshua said:
ProDarwin said:
MrJoshua said:

Step 9) Phase 3 large scale trials (1+ years). 

A year plus means significantly longer than 1 year for just the trial stage prior to FDA approval. Where are we on this timeline? 

I'm not sure exactly where that number came from,

From your post.

My post, which was stolen from a molecular virologist (or so they say). 

I don't know the answer to this, myself. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
12/3/20 9:27 p.m.

Maybe down the road. Seeing what inadvertent damage guess work in a white coat can do when they AREN'T on a time crunch hasn't given me much faith in anything they do while going at break neck speed. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/3/20 9:28 p.m.

Yup I'm getting it as well. My job has me traveling to Asia and other places regularly.  I'm going to guess Many countries won't let you in unless you can prove you were vaccinated. Singapore dosent give religious exemptions. 

Once available I'm sure my company will make it mandatory to get. 

Rons
Rons Reader
12/3/20 9:30 p.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

I think I can sum this up in the old shop managers mantra - Good, fast , or cheap you can have any two but not all three.

Edit: I'll get it as soon as I can but I don't believe I'm near the front of the line.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/3/20 9:30 p.m.
Zachary said:

This “vaccine” is not a vaccine in the traditional sense. It is an experimental injectable technology that has never been used before in humans. I wouldn't be considered an "anti vaxer", but I've got no interest in playing guinea pig with big pharma, especially when they are exempt from any financial fallout from adverse effects from this experiment. 

And then there’s the fact that the coronavirus vaccine trials themselves are a documented sham. The vaccine candidates are not even being measured on the basis of whether or not they can prevent infection, but whether they can reduce symptoms such as coughs and headaches in patients who have already tested positive. 

And there’s the fact that, right after Pfizer's announcement of a successful trial (and subsequent media extravaganza), Pfizer’s CEO and executive vice president both sold millions of dollars worth of stock in the company.

Nope, I'm going to stick with Vitamin D, fresh air, exercise, and a healthy diet.

Not saying that any of this is not true, because I honestly don't know. But I would like a source, since it contradicts everything I've heard about these vaccines.

Yeah, I'm getting it ASAP.

wae
wae UberDork
12/3/20 9:36 p.m.

I suppose I'll get it eventually just like the annual flu shot or whatever, but it's not something I'm going to go stand in line for an hour to do or anything.  I also totally understand that it's probably pretty safe.  But the walkway in the Hyatt Regency was supposed to be safe as was the Therac-25.  It has never seemed like a good idea to me to be the first guy on my block to do or get anything.

grover
grover Dork
12/3/20 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Zachary :

It's mRNA adaptation, it's honestly not super novel. We got lucky that it's so similar to other things that were already researched well and designed. 

(my degree is in biochemistry and I've worked on some RNA things, I don't claim to be an expert- but I don't think this requires it. )

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/3/20 10:05 p.m.
Zachary said:

....And there’s the fact that, right after Pfizer's announcement of a successful trial (and subsequent media extravaganza), Pfizer’s CEO and executive vice president both sold millions of dollars worth of stock in the company....

Sounds nefarious.  But.....  executives in public companies like that have no control over their stock sales (by law I believe)

Also, millions of dollars?  Hah!  Do you have any idea how much some of these guys stocks are worth?  I used to work for a large pharma company and I looked up what the CEO made off of his managed stock sales that year.... it was 240 million dollars...

Zachary
Zachary New Reader
12/3/20 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Happy to oblige. I am the same way, show me the proof!

There is a lot of info around about the new mRNA vaccines becoming available, but essentially they have never been approved for human use and they work very differently from traditional vaccines. They have had some clinical trials in Phase 1 for other viral infections. There is some precedent for testing them in people. But they have never been used on a wide scale, certainly not world wide under emergency use authorization. 

The Secretary of the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex M Azar III granted the companies selling and basically anyone involved in virtually any other activity related to any COVID-19 vaccine immunity from liability for any injuries caused by these vaccines. Prior to his current position, Secretary Azar was a senior executive for the major pharmaceutical company Eli Lily for a decade. Here is a linky for that: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/03/17/2020-05484/declaration-under-the-public-readiness-and-emergency-preparedness-act-for-medical-countermeasures

Here is an article where you can read about how vaccine trials aren't being measured on the basis of whether they can prevent infection: https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2020/10/27/covid-vaccine-trials.aspx

and here is Pfizer's CEO and executive VP making bank: https://www.investopedia.com/pfizer-ceo-sells-stock-same-day-as-breakthrough-vaccine-announcement-5087140

Zachary
Zachary New Reader
12/3/20 10:21 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

You are correct. Million buck is chump change for pharma execs, and there are some protocols in place to keep insider trading from happening. I don't know how effective those protocols are, just found it humorous that they were selling off when the good news spiked the share price.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/3/20 10:41 p.m.

I'll get it - mostly because I'm fairly certain it'll make my life/job easier to deal with - I really need to be in NH right now for work, but cannot because of all this. 

Considering I have worked on a few US based projects involved with the manufacturing of the vaccine, I'm not too concerned about where it's made.  

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
12/3/20 10:43 p.m.

I'm genuinely curious. What proof will folks be able to show that they have been immunized? An ID card? A stamp? Tattoo? RFID? Once that has been sorted, how will such proof be acquired? If a business* decides only to cater to those who have been immunized, what prevents folks from refusing to give personal medical info out? What prevents forged immune-cards. what about those who cannot be immunized for medical reasons?

All I'm saying is that "immunity" isn't going to be a free ticket to returning to normal life. At best, it's a small step towards that goal. At worst, a fraud-fraught bureaucratic nightmare. 

*I fully support the rights of any individual or business to engage in business or not engage for any reason they see fit. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
12/3/20 10:58 p.m.

Ready for this crap to be over with.  When its available to me I'll take it.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/4/20 12:25 a.m.
Zachary said:

....Here is an article where you can read about how vaccine trials aren't being measured on the basis of whether they can prevent infection: https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2020/10/27/covid-vaccine-trials.aspx...

That article appears to be behind a paywall for me.

In general though, I am pretty certain NO vaccine is supposed to prevent infection.  Their entire purpose is to arm your immune system to fight off and destroy any infection you get.  So, no reason to test for something it's not supposed to do..

Also, it is interesting to note the Dr, who's site that is described as:

born July 8, 1954) is an American alternative medicine proponent, osteopathic physician, and Internet business person. He markets dietary supplements and medical devices,[2] some of which are controversial. Until 2013,[3] Mercola operated the "Dr. Mercola Natural Health Center" (formerly the "Optimal Wellness Center") in Schaumburg, Illinois.[4] He wrote the books The No-Grain Diet[5] (with Alison Rose Levy) and The Great Bird Flu Hoax. On his website, Mercola and colleagues advocate a number of unproven alternative health notions including homeopathy and opposition to vaccination. These positions have faced persistent criticism.[6] Mercola is a member of the political advocacy group Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, which promotes scientifically discredited views about medicine and disease, and several other alternative medicine organizations.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola

I am not sure this is the guy you should be taking critical medical advise from...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
12/4/20 12:37 a.m.

In reply to Zachary :

Sorry, I have trouble believing in alternative health sites like Mercola.  If they worked it would just be health care.

Got any peer reviewed articles that aren't from a quack?

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
12/4/20 2:22 a.m.

I'm probably gonna get it when I can. If there's long-term effects then I guess it's unlikely we'll know them for years, and I don't want to keep living in fear of getting covid for years.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/4/20 5:05 a.m.

Reading through this I've now gone from the wait and see to never camp. I guess it's true, all the bickering CAN change people's minds! 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/4/20 5:06 a.m.
slowbird said:

I'm probably gonna get it when I can. If there's long-term effects then I guess it's unlikely we'll know them for years, and I don't want to keep living in fear of getting covid for years.

I am in this same camp.

1 2 3 4 5

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
LGCSs1gypbff0C2zzaTxUDiIX0YCG1vYEJdMKbQizQMoxwKYJeQqXzvxv4xKbNkf