chaparral
chaparral Dork
1/18/21 3:03 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Wally, I agree with that article - it looks like WV is a week ahead of the rest of the country, and WV claims that its smaller pharmacies were faster at dealing the doses out than the chains were. If CVS or Walgreens added a week of dinking around, there's that advantage. 

iansane
iansane Reader
1/18/21 3:08 p.m.

My 76 year old mother is supposed to get the vaccine tonight. She just had her last radiation treatment from Cancer a month or so ago. She's more perturbed that she has to drive to a city a half hour or so away than anything else.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/18/21 3:09 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

How come we're all losing to West Virginia?

They were very good at distributing opioids.  Maybe that experience is helping now.   /s

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/18/21 4:07 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

This article explains it a bit. Some of it is they're the only state not relying on CVS and Walgreens and the pharmacy's they're using are already linked up with the nursing homes so things move faster with less issues, and by being a small state they have done flexiblity for dealing with problems that come up.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/07/954409347/why-west-virginias-winning-the-race-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-into-arms?utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=npr&fbclid=IwAR0SNExBM2MXKkxVKdJAW9W5jHaDHB30AssKsqNwx3Vb-2YYRjVmRsvsbCI

It was totally a joke, but that's an interesting article. 

Given the choice between waiting to get vaccinated and living in WV, I think I'll wait. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/18/21 4:28 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

Given the choice between waiting to get vaccinated and living in WV, I think I'll wait. 

Says the guy living in South Carolina.  devil 

(I joke, because I used to live in SC.)

I work with guys who live in WV...it's about an hour from where we live.  Really nice country, actually, and towns like Harper's Ferry and Shepherdstown are really terrific.  Honestly, I've thought about moving there. 

EDIT:  Not to mention Summit Point is there. 

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

My eldest married into a WV family. Trust me, don't go there. That's a whole 'nother level of hillbilly that SC can't even approach.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/18/21 7:14 p.m.

I asked myself the same question when I heard it. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/18/21 8:37 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

My main level of respect for WV derives from the fact that the state basically came into existence because it was a bunch of people who looked at what "regular Virginia" was doing back in the late 1850's and went, "uh, nah."

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/18/21 10:19 p.m.
aircooled said:

My guess is that West Virginia is generally pretty used to government based programs and have good infrastructure for that already.  Lack of huge metro areas probably helps also.

On a more personal level, I wonder if the use of small, local pharmacies also helps with some of the stigma related to the vaccine. I can imagine someone listening to the pharmacist they've known their entire life and lives down the road from them telling them to get the shot carries a lot more weight than any govt or media. 

chaparral
chaparral Dork
1/18/21 10:47 p.m.

It might be a joke, but it's also a helluva question to ask a senior politician from your state!

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/19/21 4:49 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Interesting point. Places like WV and very small, rural towns may the last places those relationships still exist. 

wae
wae UberDork
1/19/21 6:14 a.m.

My father-in-law, who is a doctor, got his first Moderna shot recently and called to encourage us to go get it.  Yeah, same guy who didn't want to get tested because they wouldn't let him see patients if he was positive.  He says the injection site was a little sore and he glows purple in the dark but otherwise no side effects. 

I'm not sure which one my parents will get, but they go in tomorrow for round one.  As far as I can tell, all of the vaccinations on KY are being handled by the hospitals and the local health departments.  At least in the three northern counties.  From all reports, though, our local hospital system has a pretty efficient set-up.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/19/21 6:38 a.m.

Mrs. mtn got round 1 of Moderna yesterday. Sore arm is the only side effect so far. 

We are still giddy that she was able to get it at all. In our county it seems to be luck of the draw if you're able to get it; she was only able to because her friend was trying to get an appointment for her father; when the first question that popped up was "are you a licensed healthcare provider", she decided to enter my wife's info instead of her father's, since it was clear that it was still healthcare workers only. Luckily they only looked at licensure and not current employment. 

Now my wife is feeling guilty, since she's not working right now. I feel great about it, as the entire reason she's not working is the virus, and the fact that the appointment was made at 11:30pm for 8:30am the next day. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
1/19/21 7:29 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
aircooled said:

My guess is that West Virginia is generally pretty used to government based programs and have good infrastructure for that already.  Lack of huge metro areas probably helps also.

On a more personal level, I wonder if the use of small, local pharmacies also helps with some of the stigma related to the vaccine. I can imagine someone listening to the pharmacist they've known their entire life and lives down the road from them telling them to get the shot carries a lot more weight than any govt or media. 

I think the local aspect where you know the pharmacy approach will aid in reducing vaccine fears.  Anything to get wider adoption and build confidence will speed the efforts.  Ohio is behind the pack - Dad is 1B which is the first group following first responders etc and still doesn't even have a date.  He worries it might not be till March.

APEowner
APEowner Dork
1/19/21 8:48 a.m.

My wife got the first Modena shot yesterday.  Her arm is sore today but otherwise she's her usual happy, healthy self.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/19/21 9:51 a.m.

My wife's second does happened Saturday. She was pretty tired and beat up this weekend, but feeling better now!

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
1/19/21 5:53 p.m.

Without getting into dangerous topics, and forgive me for being on-topic, but today about 85% of my, we'll call it "skepticism" regarding the vaccine was eradicated. 
I'll be pretty much last on the list, and personally I'm in no rush, but I'll say this:

When it becomes readily available, and convenient, I'll likely get poked. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/19/21 6:04 p.m.

A bunch of rich kids from North Dallas hacked the site and got in ahead of me. Yeah we were on that list. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wealthy-residents-got-disproportionate-share-of-vaccines-in-this-texas-county/ar-BB1cTQod?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

I just hope that Mrs. Snowdoggie and I get the vaccine before we get infected. With 3,000 infections a day and the new more infectious strain showing up here it's getting pretty nasty. You see a lot of people here not wearing masks. At least Mom got hers. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/19/21 6:09 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

when you get time, I'd love to know.

I guess I don't need it anymore. Got a positive test result back today.  I slept for a couple of days, have had some chest congestion, a cough, fever and chills. So far, not the worst "flu" I've ever had. S.O. gets tested tomorrow, and we're isolating extra hard. Good Times.

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/19/21 8:34 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

We'll be thinking good thoughts for you.  Here's hoping you have a mild case.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/19/21 9:17 p.m.

You're still going to "need" it.  There's no evidence that natural immunity guarantees you don't get a different strain.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/19/21 11:17 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

You're still going to "need" it.  There's no evidence that natural immunity guarantees you don't get a different strain.

Legit question here:

The flu vaccines, I've always heard "they" pick out the strain of flu that might be most likely to affect people, but you can still catch other strains.

Isn't this vaccine kinda like that also? Even if he gets the vaccine, he could stil get a different strain? (Hey, maybe with natural immunity to one strain, and a vaccine for another, he;s double covered!)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/19/21 11:35 p.m.

The initial guess it is very likely the vaccine will protect from the other strains, but you are correct, if it mutates enough and in the right way it might not.

I "think" the type of decease this is it might make a bit easier to cover more variations, don't really know though.

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
6N6HbOViOcRrbWCz1s0MeeEvbZgIFAzyXbTzHjcP8AB8OndG2OxcHdfjU510ZbN9