4 5 6 7 8
Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/4/20 12:39 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/4/20 12:39 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:
ProDarwin said:
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

you should be way more concerned about petting any stray cats/dogs than about random wildlife you may encounter. 

*tries to pet Grizzly Bear*

DONT PET THE BEAR!

You're supposed to hug the bear. 

To be fair, he isn't "hugging" that bear. 

Unless that's what the kids are calling it these days. 

That's Super Troopers isn't it?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/4/20 12:49 p.m.

Hard pass from me. 

WonkoTheSane (FS)
WonkoTheSane (FS) SuperDork
12/4/20 12:58 p.m.

But like a lot of others, I'll be in the lowest-risk group so it'll be next year.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
12/4/20 11:41 p.m.

Our friend's husband died on Thanksgiving from COVID. 35, father of three girls, no previous respitory issues, lived in Honduras for almost a decade prior, only went to the hospital once while he was down there, ironically enough, for rabies shots. It wasn't like he died of a stroke or something, either, he got a bad fever, got the cough, could barely breath, went the ER, got sedated, went on a ventilator, died two weeks later. 

So yea, in Matt's memory, we'll brave the vaccine. 

preach
preach Reader
12/5/20 2:41 a.m.

I am not sure I will get it. I don't get a flu shot ever.

I also do not really get sick, but I think I had the covid in January. I guess the CDC tested donated blood from early Dec '19 and found COVID-19 antibodies in a number of states, one of which was neighboring MA.

2019 I worked all year and about 800 hours of overtime and I did not take a single hour of sick leave. I just do not get sick much.

In early Jan '20 I got so sick I did not leave my bed for 48 hours except to go to the bathroom to void or to get a couple handfuls of water from the sink. I do not remember all of my symptoms but I had to sit up because I could not breathe well and my whole body was racked with pain.

Since then I have been in one of the hottest zones in the US for months on end (7.5 months in San Diego County), I have flown across country twice and I have driven through 20 some states CA to NH round trip staying in hotels each way. I feel like I have given this virus every opportunity to get me due to the amount I have traveled.

I would go get tested for the antibodies, but my hypochondria will not let me go near a testing facility as I could easily expose myself to the virus there.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/5/20 3:09 a.m.
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:
ProDarwin said:
eastsideTim said:

For anthrax, it seems like there is still a lot going on as to whether it was safe or not, to the point where it is only recommended to people who are likely to be exposed.

Ok, taking this off topic a bit.  

Why do we not get the rabies vaccine?  Our pets do, but we don't.  Its the deadliest disease in existence with a 100% mortality rate.

Not sure its the same thing but I got bit by a dog when I was 5 or 6. My mom never found the dog and as a precaution had me take the vaccines. It was like 20 shots! Sucked big time. 

I get 4-7 a day. Every day. You get used to it. I've been a Guinea pig in over 30 medical trials for diabetes. Not exactly the same thing as Covid, but I am still here.

Something to consider: big pharma wants to make money on this. Of course. And continue to make money, with booster shots, yearly updates, etc...It does them no good to kill their clients. 

That said, as a pilot I've been taught to never fly the A model of anything. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
12/5/20 7:24 a.m.

I get a flu shot annually and I'll get the C19 vaccine soon as it's made available to me. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
12/5/20 7:24 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Not only that, but if moderna gets their vaccine approved by the fda, it will be the first time they've ever done that. They've never actually produced anything that has been released for use. They are a start up with a worrisome CEO and no track record. So I dont want that one. I may get the Pfizer one, but I have no health issues or anything, so I'm not trying to jump to the front of the line.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
12/5/20 7:41 a.m.

I took an informal poll at work yesterday. 100% of the respondents said the same thing. Development was too fast, I don’t trust the safety. I’ll wait. Age range 28-65

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/5/20 7:50 a.m.
gearheadmb said:
Appleseed said:

Not only that, but if moderna gets their vaccine approved by the fda, it will be the first time they've ever done that. They've never actually produced anything that has been released for use. They are a start up with a worrisome CEO and no track record. So I dont want that one. I may get the Pfizer one, but I have no health issues or anything, so I'm not trying to jump to the front of the line.

I bet you will not have an option to choose which one you get. 

Its like when you get the flu shot. They tell you what brand you got just in case u develop an allergic reaction and that's it. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/5/20 8:18 a.m.

This is from a news article yesterday: 

Americans will likely experience at least one side effect from the COVID-19 vaccine, but doctors say that’s normal and you should still get vaccinated.

In Moderna’s Phase 3 trials, the company said the most common side effects were fatigue, muscle soreness and aches, joint pain, headache, and pain, redness or swelling at the injection site.

More than half of Moderna’s study participants had side effects from the vaccine in Phase 1 trials, according to a preliminary report published in July in the New England Journal of Medicine.

In Pfizer/BioNTech Phase 3 trials, the probability of getting fatigued or a headache was 3.8% and 2%, respectively.

It doesn't sound like a big deal to me, no different than what may happen with other kinds of shots.   The side affects are minor, and not everyone will get them. 

A coworker and friend died of it this week...I'll get vaccinated as soon as I'm able, this thing isn't going to just go away on its own.

Scotty Con Queso said:
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado said:

Gonna get vaccinated so hard.

This guy just won the thread. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/5/20 8:43 a.m.

I was listening to a radio talk show where they interviewed one person who was part of the trial.  He complained about severe muscle pain and fatigue for a day and warned everyone not to get it because it has microchips in it.  He "saw the microchip in the syringe" and "now my radio won't pick up certain stations."  Saw.  A microchip. Now it's blocking radio stations. He didn't explain how a microchip large enough to be seen with the naked eye could fit through a 0.033" 18 gauge hypo needle, but dag nabbit, he can't get the Clemson game on the radio after getting a shot, so, there's that.

I don't care if the side effects are vomiting, diarrhea, and sounding like Ethel Merman for a week.  I'll get it.  Mom is 74 and on her third round of cancer.  If I can have some muscle pain for a day on the chance that I might not give her a disease that will killer her in 10 days, yeah.  I'll get it.  If I can tolerate being ouchy for a day to be part of the global solution, I'm in.  Even if it's a big hoax and I'm just getting saline, I'll get it.

12/5/20 8:45 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

This is from a news article yesterday: 

Americans will likely experience at least one side effect from the COVID-19 vaccine, but doctors say that’s normal and you should still get vaccinated.

In Moderna’s Phase 3 trials, the company said the most common side effects were fatigue, muscle soreness and aches, joint pain, headache, and pain, redness or swelling at the injection site.

More than half of Moderna’s study participants had side effects from the vaccine in Phase 1 trials, according to a preliminary report published in July in the New England Journal of Medicine.

In Pfizer/BioNTech Phase 3 trials, the probability of getting fatigued or a headache was 3.8% and 2%, respectively.

It doesn't sound like a big deal to me, no different than what may happen with other kinds of shots.   The side affects are minor, and not everyone will get them. 

A coworker and friend died of it this week...I'll get vaccinated as soon as I'm able, this thing isn't going to just go away on its own.

You can't turn on the TV without seeing some ad for a psoriasis medication that doesn't include the exact same warnings.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/5/20 9:08 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Saw.  A microchip. Now it's blocking radio stations. 

What's that old saying:  "I want some  of what he's smoking."  frown

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
12/5/20 9:19 a.m.
gearheadmb said:
Appleseed said:

I like the moderna one.

First: their goal isn't to make money but to solve a problem and they intend to sell it at cost.  
Second: theirs can be kept in a refrigerator rather than 87 degrees below zero.  
Third: Turns out that if the first vaccine is at 1/2 strength they have the same effectiveness as others.  All of them require 2 injections. But the idea that the first one is going to be easier I like that.  

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
12/5/20 9:24 a.m.

If something sounds too good to be true...

Where have I heard that before?

12/5/20 9:26 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
eastsideTim said:

For anthrax, it seems like there is still a lot going on as to whether it was safe or not, to the point where it is only recommended to people who are likely to be exposed.

Ok, taking this off topic a bit.  

Why do we not get the rabies vaccine?  Our pets do, but we don't.  Its the deadliest disease in existence with a 100% mortality rate.

I'm not an epidemiologist, but I'll explain it the best I can.  The short answer is that rabies can be vaccinated after exposure.  If you, as a human, get bitten by a drooling raccoon, you have the mental wherewithal to seek a rabies shot.  Animals don't.  If your dog gets rabies from a little mouse bite it gets from walking in the yard, or licks the roadkill of a rabid cat, you may not notice it until your dog's brain is jello and that's about the time it bites the neighbor and starts lawsuits, neighbors getting shots and medical treatment for a ripped arm, yadda yadda.

Actual death rate (that is, the percentage of mortality) has very little to do with vaccine recommendations.  The big number is the R0 (R-naught) value.  This is a number from 0 to whatever that represents the ease with which the contagion is spread.  For instance, something like SaRS has an R0 of about 4.  Whooping cough has an R0 of about 5.5.  Measles is about 18.  This number is a mathematically calculated number based on the speed of the spread.  It is calculated by averaging the number of cases versus the number of new cases, then even more new cases, and so on.  It can be boiled down to an average of the number of people who will be infected by someone with the disease.  Covid-19's R-naught value is around 2.5, which doesn't seem like much, but it began as about R-20 before it was discovered.

Other factors such as transmission vector are considered.  With something like HIV, it is most commonly transmitted sexually.  Not everyone has sex with a new partner every day, so it is relatively easily contained. HIV (even though in its early stages had an incredibly high mortality rate) did not warrant the need for a vaccine.  The R0 was low, education could slow the spread, and since it wasn't easy to transmit, it didn't warrant (in the eyes of the government and medical minds) a shift away from other, more important medical needs. Things like Flu, Covid, colds, and other respiratory things can be transmitted by the air.  Everybody breathes.

Actual total deaths are also factored in.  Since 1960, 127 humans have died from Rabies, or about 2 per year.. (source: CDC)  That number isn't on medical radar.

So, if you have something like Rabies that kills 99.9% of those it infects, it doesn't require vaccination because it is so rare that humans get it.  In the case of Covid, people are poo-poo ing things because it only kills 0.4% so it's just like the flu.  But it isn't.  The vector here is the key.  With the Flu, you get sick and stay home and infect no one because you are unlikely to be contagious unless you have symptoms.  With Covid, you can be contagious for up to 14 days before having any symptoms.  (The CDC actually just updated that to 10 days after further research with contact tracing).

What this means (and we're seeing it in the numbers) is that rampant spread is happening because you can spread it without having symptoms.  This is a whole new paradigm.  The death percentage is pointless.  Take a representative population.  One person has the flu.  It spreads to 1/4 of the population and 0.4% die.  Take that same population and one person has Covid.  It spreads to 1/4 of the population and 0.4% die... but then 14 days later, we discover that 3/4 of the population actually had it all along and another 0.4% die.  Then 5 days later, we realized that an addition 10% of those we thought were clear were just asymptomatic and they gave it to another 30% of the remaining population.

The problem isn't the percentage.  It's the spread.  If you have a disease that kills 0.4% and it hits 15% of the population like the flu, bummer.  It wiped out some folks and then moved on until next year.  If you have a disease that keeps hitting the population over and over for years at a time, each time taking 0.4%, it's an extinction-level infection.

The flu is like a pot of water on the stove.  Since it is highly seasonal, it's like turning on the burner for an hour a day.  You lose a little to boiling/evaporation, but you have the rest of the day to refill the pot.  Covid is like that same pot, but on medium for 23 hours and then turned up to high for an hour.  Then, couple that with the fact that there aren't enough resources to keep the pot filled (not enough medical research, personnel, and beds), and it's a problem.

The distilled version is... it's a means of controlling mass death.  Rabies doesn't kill humans for the most part.  It kills 100% of those it infects, but it's incredibly hard to get it.  Covid kills only 0.4% (1 in 250 is still a scary number to me) but it's incredibly easy to get.  That is why Covid has killed 1.5 million in one year compared to 2 people per year from Rabies.  It's math.  Two people get rabies, two people die.  65 million get Covid and 1.5 million die.

Covid kills a crapload, and the way it spreads means that if we don't get it under control, we won't have to worry about global warming because we won't be here to witness it.

12/5/20 9:43 a.m.

Another thing that gets me is the lack of reporting on just how bad the US is at fighting this.

We have ranked #1 in covid cases and deaths for a long time.  We are worse than India.... a country with 4 times the population, less-developed medicine, but half the cases and half the deaths.   We have 8 times the number of cases per million, and 8 times the number of deaths per million of our next closest country in the ranking... a country with less medical tech than we have.

Remember how in the beginning it was all about Italy?  They have 1/5th the population, but 1/10th the cases.

Source

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/5/20 10:21 a.m.

I don't care if the side effects are vomiting, diarrhea, and sounding like Ethel Merman for a week.  

You say that like it's a bad thing:

War is hell.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
12/5/20 10:52 a.m.

Interesting reading in this thread, although there seems like a strong dose of politics mixed in with real science, faux science, and opinion.

I'll be getting the vaccine when available, as will my family. I'm guessing we'll have at least the preliminary results of the California study on the vaccine use in children by the time we're able to get the vaccine. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
12/5/20 10:55 a.m.

Another thing that gets me is the lack of reporting on just how bad the US is at fighting this.

We have ranked #1 in covid cases and deaths for a long time.  We are worse than India.... a country with 4 times the population, less-developed medicine, but half the cases and half the deaths.   We have 8 times the number of cases per million, and 8 times the number of deaths per million of our next closest country in the ranking... a country with less medical tech than we have.

Remember how in the beginning it was all about Italy?  They have 1/5th the population, but 1/10th the cases.

Source

Why do you think that is? And I don't ask that rhetorically. I mean look at India for example. That country is super crowded and you can't tell me they are doing better at staying home than we are. 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/5/20 11:29 a.m.

FWIW, my wife and I are in the high risk group (over 70 with respiratory allergies and asthma), and my wife's degree is in biology with a medical technology emphasis.  You bet we will get the vaccine, and at the first opportunity.

12/5/20 11:32 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

I don't care if the side effects are vomiting, diarrhea, and sounding like Ethel Merman for a week.  

You say that like it's a bad thing:

War is hell.

And stop calling me Shirley.

4 5 6 7 8

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
OgfRCQqbjsViDt1djGicuvbGOykSr3E74MAoUG4FgeR2mZ2PqNjmg4r2DQizo7vJ