m4ff3w
m4ff3w SuperDork
3/5/12 12:02 a.m.

I'm stuck in Dallas (Richardson) this week for some training. Anything worth doing on the cheap in the evenings?

I'll probably just do some unrelated studying in the evenings, but I've never spent time up here and if there is something worth seeing/doing I might get out.

drmike
drmike Reader
3/5/12 8:18 a.m.

There's a couple of indoor go-kart places, or there were when I lived there five years ago...

Believe it or not, The Fort Worth "Stockyards" is a nice place to visit: http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/

Don't know what you're looking for, though.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
3/5/12 8:26 a.m.

Stockyards are a long way from Richardson.

I lived there for decades and there's not a lot to do nearby, you have to drive to almost anything. You could take the train from the Eismann Center to downtown and visit the West End. But be careful, I don't know what's happened to the West End in the 4 years I've been gone but it wasn't always the safest place to be after dark.

It's funny Dallas talks about doing stuff like revitalizing downtown, but Fort Worth quietly just does it. FW is the place to be - lots going on there from a fun downtown area, to a great cultural district to the stockyards. Dallas, well, it's just talk.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
3/5/12 8:57 a.m.

When I have to go to the Messoplex for work, I usually make a round of the stores not available locally.
Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, Ikea, Fry's Electronics, Cheaper Than Dirt ... Even if I don't buy anything, it's good to know who has what.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill Reader
3/5/12 12:01 p.m.

Hit the Pick-n-pull! Get all the goodies you can't find in San Antonio.

Actually, I tried fried alligator for the first time in Dallas.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w SuperDork
3/5/12 2:58 p.m.

Oh, cheaper-than-dirt, I didn't know they had a storefront.

Sadly I don't have any tools for PnP.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5P0cWuTn4S4xyGvl6ME17K1Tunf78VNBFtwWIFh9MUykgrROAhwO5ReE4bqyoJbK