ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/25/22 11:13 a.m.

I'm looking at installing a sun shade/sail on my deck.  Something like this:

The house-side of the sale would need to mount to the fascia below my gutters.  I want to make sure I can sink an eyebolt into the end of a truss.  But my house has vinyl trim there and I'm having a hell of a time locating where the trusses are behind the fascia board.  Is there an easy way to remove a section of the siding to see up under there?

I tried going through the attic to look, but that section is partially blocked off with cardboard to hold back the blown-in insulation which is like knee deep.  I can't see anything from the attic entrance, and I don't dare try and wade my way through the insulation because its only a matter of time before my foot/hand goes through the drywall ceiling.

Pic of the edge of my house:

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/25/22 1:03 p.m.

What kind of soffits do you have under the eves?  If the house is vinyl, usually the soffits are vinyl.  Many times you can wiggle out one section to look.  On most homes there is at least a 2x6 running horizontal along the ends of the trusses behind the vinyl... so you may be good to go along any portion of the fascia.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/25/22 2:40 p.m.

The soffits are vinyl, so is the fascia.  I tried to just pop one section out, and it berkeleyed up the mounting channel :(. Will grab a pic when I am back home.  If the soffit board is 2x6 you think that is strong enough?  I would at least want to sink a screw into the truss on either side so it can't pull out if it is just nailed in.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
6/25/22 3:13 p.m.

I can't see the pic of your house, but can you measure the spacing of the trusses while inside the attic, and then just start on one end outside, measuring (maybe every 16") and marking as you go? Should get you into the ballpark anyway.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/25/22 3:45 p.m.

Weird, the pic didn't load when browsing on my phone either, but its here on my desktop.  Going to try again in this post:

Before I tried to remove:

After :(

I was able to mark the location of one in that spot, but given the house construction I'm sure I trust that accuracy over any distance.  If I could figure out how to get the soffit back down correctly, I'd happily confirm the location of both trusses and the size of the fascia board.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/25/22 5:18 p.m.

I put a few of these up for my wife at her school.  They grab a ton of wind, make sure all anchors are solid.  I've had to replace a few anchors and upgrade them when they pulled out of brick facade. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/25/22 5:29 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I put a few of these up for my wife at her school.  They grab a ton of wind, make sure all anchors are solid.  I've had to replace a few anchors and upgrade them when they pulled out of brick facade. 

Yeah, this is why I want to tie it into the truss.

The deck side is another matter lol.  I've got the corner posts of the railing extended, but the plan is really to just replace the whole damn deck by the end of the year and account for this in the plan.

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
6/25/22 5:51 p.m.

You should just be able to push up on the soffit and feel the trusses.  I can't see the pictures, but vinyl soffit usually kind of floats in it's channels.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/25/22 5:53 p.m.

Picture attempt #3.  Not sure what is up with the forum.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/25/22 9:19 p.m.

My neighbors have one but only connected at three points, doesn't slap and self destruct as four pins do.

Theirs is drilled through the soffit into a rafter, unclip one and it's ready for a storm.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OqbfgmSNKfgeYdBoJTbAQVP4NM7vhzV8nKl6kUiVzTAgnJTfP62mbA3mteCMQ7qT