1 2
EricM
EricM Dork
12/2/09 9:32 a.m.

I take mine to Autozone. They ahvae a big tank there. From there I do not know where it goes, I wonder if they just dump it in othe ocean. I should look that up.

TJ
TJ Dork
12/2/09 9:43 a.m.

I've always thought that they pay someone to come and take it away. Then that company cleans it up and recycles it in some way.

Might be totally off base here - no actual knowledge on this - only opinion.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
12/2/09 1:14 p.m.

I guess my line of thinking was more of if you can burn it in a heater, can it be burned in a car as fuel? But that's what brainstorming is for. Trying to figure out what's possible and what's not. Thanks for the input.

TJ
TJ Dork
12/2/09 1:43 p.m.

How about letting it settle for a while, running it through a filter and adding it to diesel fuel?

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
12/2/09 1:56 p.m.

The first thing I'd want to do is filter it and centrifuge it. Then measure the viscosity of what you have. From there you can decide where to go. If you clean it up enough you might be able to reuse it as motor oil. The centrifuge could do a good job, but I'm pretty sure they are pretty low capacity. Maybe 250ml or less.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku HalfDork
12/2/09 2:04 p.m.

the troulbe with most home uses is more supply than demand. I like the waste oil heater idea, but what if the oil is contaminated with coolant , gas, or anything else that ended up in the one drain pan for all fluids?

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette HalfDork
12/2/09 2:11 p.m.

Attach burlap bags to trees soaked in burnt motor oil they use it like suntan oil , throw some corn around , dig hole pour dry cool aid into it . Erect hunting stand 50 yards from pit wait for feral hogs to come and scratch back and waller shoot and skin then eat . Hogs love burnt motor it gets rid of buggles on their skin . Do not pour on ground for hog waller pit .

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
11/8/19 1:49 p.m.

zombie canoest has been removed

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/8/19 2:22 p.m.

10 years. Wow, canoes are desperate. 

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
11/8/19 3:21 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Yes, but it's a good bump. I've used 1 - 5 of Curtis's ideas and I think #6 sounds good. Right now I've got jugs of waste oil standing by to use as 'kindling' in my woodstove. It works great even on wet wood.

FieroReinke
FieroReinke Reader
11/29/22 10:00 a.m.

I use a little of it each year to stain the wood deck on my trailer rather than using commercial water seal.  Helps prolong the life of the wood decking. 

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
11/30/22 11:42 a.m.
Per Schroeder said:

Or spray it on the bottom of a car, run it down a dirt road to 'rust proof'

Ever work on a car that was rust proofed like this?   Yuck.  You can't touch ANYTHING on the underside of the car without being slimed.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/30/22 11:44 a.m.

If used motor oil rustproofed cars then old Mopars would last forever.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
11/30/22 1:41 p.m.

The shop that we take our cars to for inspections has a waste oil burner for heat.  I have 6-8 gallons to take him but I never get around to it.  

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
11/30/22 9:15 p.m.

Current market it can be sold, actually when this thread was first made it could be also. That's what autozone, jiffy lube and anyone else who takes it for "free" does with it. Between 2009 and now there were some times where you needed to be moving 3000 gallons or more for them to pay for it though....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nXDjlYNhGXrDC37izq5EylKWjfR125JaZhMXsfoQPxoNIgLeHYdH87Za0VfSF02N