OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
8/3/18 4:38 p.m.

Got one/some in my attic....

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/3/18 4:41 p.m.

Probably not. Rats can defeat the roller on the bucket trap by hanging on the side, squirrels are likely too.

This guy would know

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/3/18 9:13 p.m.

I've never caught a squirrel in one.  Rats, mice, yes, but no squirrels.  A live trap might work.  I've caught squirrels in those before.  A 22 works best.  However, since the Global War on Squirrels started, they are getting pretty smart around my place. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
8/3/18 9:55 p.m.

Do squirrels have sleeping patterns like bats? 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
8/4/18 10:11 a.m.

what is good bait for a live trap ?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/4/18 11:00 a.m.

In my Chipmunk Relocation Program, I accidently caught one in my small Have-A-Heart trap.  Chipmunks will quietly spend the night, tree rats have a heart attack and die within an hour.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
8/4/18 11:06 a.m.

I have relocated 6 squirrels to the local park so far , 

They like my avacado tree and go after the small ones that never get a chance to  grow ,

When they first showed up 5 years ago they were cute , now I think of them as rats with a fussy tail !

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/4/18 11:16 a.m.

Oh, and find out where they are getting in!

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
8/4/18 11:45 a.m.

As for bait peanut butter should work.

And live traps are the way to go.

They get pissed when their in there but they take off when you let them go.

And do find out how their getting in or you're just going through the motions and will repeat everything.

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
8/4/18 1:09 p.m.

I tried several types of squirrel traps for in the house.  Finally gave up and had Rid-A-Critter come and seal up the house.  We live in woods and trying to keep them out of the yard is about impossible.  

Having said that, I had fair luck catching them in a variety of live traps but the best one - most productive - was a piece of PVC pipe about 4 feet long.  I cut out the the sides towards the bottom so the rat thinks it goes all the way through.  I cover the holes with wire mesh.  I put peanut butter and bird seed in the bottom and at the top rim of the trap the tree rat starts in, slides down the pipe and can't get out.  I always take them to the river to let them go.  NO!  Not to see if they can swim, but dump them off on the other side to make sure they don't find their way back.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
8/4/18 1:23 p.m.

Went to the local TS store the other day, to buy some BB's.   The woman at the counter asked if I was having a squirrel problem.  I laughed.  She suggested rat traps and peanut butter.  During squirrel season, a .22 is the ticket.   Deep/pan fried squirrel is tasty.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
8/4/18 4:26 p.m.

In reply to 68TR250 : can you post a photo of this device? I’m not sure I understand the description 

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
8/4/18 5:56 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

I'll try, I don't do so well uploading pictures.

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
8/4/18 6:04 p.m.

Well, let's see if this works.  It worked for me...Anybody see it?

https://imgur.com/a/I9F3jU8

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
8/4/18 8:00 p.m.

Well the link worked but the images didn't post. 

They should show now. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
8/4/18 9:48 p.m.

Thanks to both of you. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/9/18 7:10 a.m.

Canoe removed

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
9/9/18 1:38 p.m.

Relocate them over 10 miles away if you have overhead power lines near your house, otherwise they'll be back in 2-3 days 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4VW09Z8lXH4YhsPJAftjWvT43yAltteBduId4eVXCTRRwfQRUFl90qEY6LOZBcYe