SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/12/19 9:35 a.m.

Considering they have never heard words, do they have conversations in their head? Would it be in words? 

Hmmmm.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/12/19 9:54 a.m.

No. I think in vibrations.

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
11/12/19 10:00 a.m.

Do people think in words before they learn to speak? To read?

Doubtful I think.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
11/12/19 10:04 a.m.

What do blind people see? How do their imaginations work?

All the deaf people I know, all 3 of them, lost their hearing as they aged or due to work, so they're not really helpful with the original question. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
11/12/19 10:11 a.m.

THINK in words?  Yes, like anyone else who can read and write.  What's likely NOT the same is having the 'voice in your head' concept, or 'hearing' a word you see written.  I'm only half deaf though, can't answer for someone who never heard language spoken.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
11/12/19 10:13 a.m.

I would suggest that peoples interpretation of a thing/idea/whatever is more of a fundamental set of senses than words.

If I say "Don't think about cheeseburgers", your understanding of what I means is probably an image/smell/feel/sound/taste more than the word C-H-E-E-S-E-B-U-R-G-E-R.

Any lacking or muted senses leave the others to have more influence in your understanding of the thing...

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
11/12/19 10:13 a.m.

Words and Language matter for thought even for hearing people. Here's a Ted to consider:

https://www.ted.com/talks/lera_boroditsky_how_language_shapes_the_way_we_think?language=en

Edit: Just found his after not finding the Ted I was looking for:

"Do deaf people hear an inner voice"

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
11/12/19 10:45 a.m.

They don't sign in words, so I don't think they think in words. Their communication is much more advanced than ours in most every way I can think of. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/12/19 10:47 a.m.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
11/12/19 11:03 a.m.
aircooled said:

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/12/19 11:13 a.m.

I just asked my deaf friend, but he acted like he didn't hear me.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/12/19 11:26 a.m.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/12/19 10:58 p.m.
Hungary Bill said:
aircooled said:

wrong movie, Dave

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
11/13/19 5:01 p.m.

Both my wife's parents were born deaf. They think in words just like anyone else.  But they done use 

Within the family there's more signing words the actual spelling words. They don't use words like : is the of are as stuff like that

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
REMeO3dmp7ptflrutyOsiDoduNIiaTtiDPSRXTpMZYm5ToOjEFYVAuow1JMnZg0o