1 2 3
Wally
Wally MegaDork
9/19/13 7:24 p.m.

The hinge has worn out on my trust Samsung flip phone so I need to replace it. I'm thinking a smart phone because I see how useful they are at work and soon we will be able to do a lot of the things the POS handhelds they gave us can't. I was thinking I could be one of the cool kids with an iPhone but while I was there I saw the MotoX. I liked it, especially the long battery life since I can get stuck at work for long hours without being able to recharge. I don't know anyone who has one though and I know nothing about smart phones as far as why I should pick one over the other, or any of the other phones on the market. I am mostly going to use it to talk, and probably send the occasional picture, google maps and run a bus tracking program that we are releasing that should be compatible with all phones.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
9/19/13 8:24 p.m.

The Apple guys are going to tell you to get an iPhone. The Android guys are going to tell you to get a Moto X. I've never used either one so my opinion is worth squat on those.

I would suggest looking at the Samsung stuff too. My daughter and son use the S3, the wife uses the S4 and I carry a Note 2. They have all been very good phones.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
9/19/13 8:29 p.m.

In reply to Wally: If you have an " i " device I say stay with it and get the Iphone. You will know how everything works on it. If not, MOTO X! After market goodies not as good as the " I " stuff but nothing does.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
9/19/13 8:34 p.m.

I'm not a huge fan of Motorola hardware. I'd vote for android in general- as I am also morally opposed to Apple. I've had EXCELLENT luck with Samsung handsets, and my current Nexus 4 (made by LG) has been a good phone as well. I refuse to own another HTC handset, I've warrantied every single HTC handset the wife OR myself has had in the last 3 years. Take that for what you will.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
9/19/13 8:36 p.m.

In other news- check out XDADevelopers.com. They do all the android handsets, and you can read for what people are doing to them, experiences they have, etc. Apple....well it's apple.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
9/19/13 8:38 p.m.

I'm in the same boat, need a new phone boat. I'm fed up with Motorola and the Droid series. Once I get the go ahead from the wife, the phone plan has to be modified, I am gettin a Iphone5. Piss on it.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
9/19/13 8:39 p.m.

People that like apple, like apple. I get it. They just work. It's just not something I'm interested. I'd rather have a slightly shakier platform on the condition that I can do damn well what I please to it. Plus, my screen is still bigger than an iPhone5.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/19/13 8:44 p.m.

But what if you are an app junky? What if you don't want a phablet? I am in the "need a new freaking phone" camp, and I'm almost in the "can afford a new phone" camp too.

This thread is relavent to my interests.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
9/19/13 8:49 p.m.

App junky- go android. WAY more free apps. You can get a smaller screened android- but let's face it, I'm ham fisted and usually trying to do 50 things at once, so the bigger the screen, the better. I damn near bought a Note 2 over this phone, but figured that screen was a little overkill.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Dork
9/19/13 9:01 p.m.

Android vs. iOS is almost as bad as politics or religion.

I have to admit, I'm kind of amused by all the Apple folks complaining about iOS 7's look. It must suck to have no control over that.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
9/19/13 9:06 p.m.

Just retired my slowly dying iPhone4 for an HTC one and a few hours in to the love affair Its a great phone!!

Don't get me wrong I LOVED my iPhone and would get another in a heart beat, but just wanted to give something different a try for the hell of it, will keep you up to date on the change.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/19/13 9:38 p.m.

If you just want your phone to be a phone, get the Apple. If you want to mess with it all the time and modify it, get the Android. It's the Linux equivalent.

Janel had both an Android (work) and an iPhone (personal). She just ditched the Android for a second iPhone and could not be happier. She doesn't want to mess around with the look or root the phone or anything like that, she just wants it to WORK. I'm happier with it too because I'm the designated tech support.

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
9/19/13 9:43 p.m.

i beat the hell out of my iphones and they have done well by me.

siri is stupid.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
9/19/13 9:52 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: If you just want your phone to be a phone, get the Apple. If you want to mess with it all the time and modify it, get the Android. It's the Linux equivalent.

I would argue that just like the Linux equivalent, to get it to work for what you need you MUST mess with it.

I bought a Samsung S3. Coming from an Iphone 3gs I am disappointed. The S3 is slow, laggy, and pisses me off in general whereas the 3GS was a lean mean operating machine that I didn't have to mess with.

I use a phone for 4 things: phone calls, text messages, TONS of internet browsing, and pictures. The iphone is perfect for this, and doesn't require me to get my hands dirty with a device I just want to work.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
9/19/13 10:16 p.m.

I've had great experiences with Motorola products, and I'm typing this post from an atrix mb860. My phone is a bit over two years old and has just recently started having problems from a dead spot on the touch screen. I bet that if I replaced the digitizer it go for another year or more. Before that I got about almost five years out of a Z3 razr, when I was done with it I gave away. For all I know it could still be working.

I'm watching the motoX with great interest, but I refuse to pay a premium to be an early adopter. Also I want to let some time pass to ensure that any bugs are fully worked out first. My first ATRIX only lasted about two weeks before literary burning up, but it was replaced under warranty without fuss. Its replacement, as I said, has two years of steady use and held up well.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
9/20/13 4:25 a.m.

I just converted my wife off her Iphone (she had 2) to a Samsung S4. We noticed every time apple released a new Iseries device, hers started acting up almost immediately.

But again, Iseries stuff if you DON'T want to customize ANYTHING besides wallpaper. Droid if you like to play, touch and feel a little bit more.

Also, on the droid side? the Google Now feature is really freaken cool. A little scary too as it "learns" where you go and gives you travel time updates depending on traffic (including accidents that JUST happened), weather, construction, etc.

http://www.google.com/landing/now/

bluej
bluej Dork
9/20/13 6:37 a.m.

Posting this from a moto x. I've always been an android and non-apple guy. I appreciate what the iPhone is/does, it's just not for me.

Two phones prior I had a droid X (first 4.3" screen iirc) and it's the only device I've ever had last the entire time till renewal (20 months). The sg3 I had in between would not last, lots of issues w/ cracking and breaking the screen. So durability was a big concern for me.

So far I'm liking the sturdy feel of the moto x. It's an improvement in basic function over all previous androids I'd messed with. The current moto line up is the first heavily influenced by Google since they bought Motorola and it shows in the improved overall user experience.

My advice: can't go wrong with either. Spend some more time playing with each at the store and whichever you like better, just get that and don't worry about the android vs. apple thing.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
9/20/13 7:07 a.m.

Since it seems to be generally agreed that you can not go wrong with either, the next consideration is accessories. I believe that in general, Wally is in an outdoor climate most of the time. You may want to look into availability of a strong and weatherproof case such as a Lifeproof case

The "newest phone" may be very limited on case and accessory selection.

Amazon is also a good source for discounted cases.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
9/20/13 7:21 a.m.
mndsm wrote: App junky- go android. WAY more free apps. You can get a smaller screened android- but let's face it, I'm ham fisted and usually trying to do 50 things at once, so the bigger the screen, the better. I damn near bought a Note 2 over this phone, but figured that screen was a little overkill.

Posting this from a Note 2. It isn't overkill. I love this phone.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Dork
9/20/13 8:17 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote: I would argue that just like the Linux equivalent, to get it to work for what you need you MUST mess with it.

Well, I don't agree with that at all. Maybe in the early versions of Android, but it's quite mature at this point. My 72-year-old non-tech-savvy Mom just got a Razr M, and while she's not using the full capability of it, she's able to call, text, browse the web, and take pictures with it, which is all she wants.

Besides, given Android's market share and how few of those owners actually do mess with their phones (root them, load alternative ROMs, etc.), there are an awful lot of people who haven't messed with them that seem to be happy. At least they keep buying Android devices.

I bought a Samsung S3. Coming from an Iphone 3gs I am disappointed. The S3 is slow, laggy, and pisses me off in general whereas the 3GS was a lean mean operating machine that I didn't have to mess with.

Well, obviously everyone's experiences are different, but I'm at a loss to how a mid-2009 phone like an iPhone 3GS could feel faster than a mid-2012 phone like a GS3. The GS3 is light-years ahead in every area of technology. You want to talk iPhone 4S or 5 vs. GS3, yeah, I can see that.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/20/13 9:15 a.m.

It's all about having the right OS. And if the user's impression is that one phone is faster, that's what really matters.

My recommendation for a tough iPhone case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B9AS80E

I've got this along with one of the other highly rated supercases, and it's got far superior tactile feel, excellent sound quality and is a lot tougher.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
9/20/13 9:26 a.m.
mndsm wrote: I refuse to own another HTC handset, I've warrantied every single HTC handset the wife OR myself has had in the last 3 years. Take that for what you will.

My HTC Rezound has been flawless for the last 4 years. 2 with my wife and 2 with me.

Keith Tanner wrote: If you just want your phone to be a phone, get the Apple. If you want to mess with it all the time and modify it, get the Android. It's the Linux equivalent. Janel had both an Android (work) and an iPhone (personal). She just ditched the Android for a second iPhone and could not be happier. She doesn't want to mess around with the look or root the phone or anything like that, she just wants it to WORK. I'm happier with it too because I'm the designated tech support.

I didn't mess around with the look of my HTC or root it or anything. I just use it and the apps. Same with the Droid X I had before this. I wanna know who's making theri lives harder by messing around with the phones. Mine have simply worked. I only moved frmo the Droid X to the Rezound to get 4G, which means I'll probably be using the Rezound for at least a couple more years, so long as 4G still works and is supported.

The camera is great, the fact that I can sync it to my iTunes and get all my playlists is great, and it has more than enough apps available. My wife's iPhone 5 is nice, too, but i'm not really seeing anything it does better.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/20/13 9:34 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I only use apple. If battery life is a big concern, the iPhone is not for you

Huh? My iPhone 5 has GREAT battery life.

If I use it HEAVILY like hours and hours of internet/facebook/instagram it will still last all day.

Moderate use will see two days of battery life. And that's with 25mb+ down LTE.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/20/13 9:47 a.m.

Samsung GS3 user here. Lean mean operating machine is pretty much this device's mode of operation. Does everything fast, battery life is quite good, not a single hiccup.

I'm not a super user nor do i have any interest in hacking the E36 M3 out of my phone. Works just fine as is, i DID download new texting, internet, and email clients, but it wasn't really necessary.

My only complaint is that the new Google Navigation is berkeleying balls. I hate that everything has to go through Maps.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/20/13 9:54 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: I didn't mess around with the look of my HTC or root it or anything. I just use it and the apps. Same with the Droid X I had before this. I wanna know who's making theri lives harder by messing around with the phones.
mndsm wrote: I'd rather have a slightly shakier platform on the condition that I can do damn well what I please to it.
Tom_Spangler wrote: I have to admit, I'm kind of amused by all the Apple folks complaining about iOS 7's look. It must suck to have no control over that.
1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HlQLzSGP9LUPymsJaf9OurP7MMbnF34irvmyBYATQmRVmQjneuTk3mhP9a25O9vk