1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
7/8/08 10:33 a.m.

I had to replace a toilet in the house, and my wife commented that she was surprised that the new one did not come with a porcelain toilet seat. She thought all toilets came with a porcelain seat, and people changed to plastic or wood if they preferred. I asked if she had ever seen a porcelain toilet seat, and she swore that she had them in her house as a kid.

She googled Porcelain toilet seats, and found a blog all about toilets, their use and their seats. (I am not making that up: http://www.poopreport.com/Debate/Content/material.html if you are interested) There are people on the board that swear they like porcelain toilet seats, but I cannot find one for sale anywhere in the US or Europe. really don't think they exist.

Can anyone prove or disprove the existence of porcelain toilet seats? I have not seen one in my 40 years, in the US or abroad, but I am open to the possibility.

MitchellC
MitchellC New Reader
7/8/08 10:40 a.m.

It seems like porcelain would be prone to breaking/cracking. I'm not about to treat a toilet seat with loving care...

Duke
Duke Dork
7/8/08 11:08 a.m.

I've never seen a porcelain toilet seat in my entire life, and I've lived in houses pushing 200 years old that haven't been renovated since the '30s. They've always been wood, bakelite, or plastic.

If you slipped and let a porcelain toilet seat drop onto the rim, it would shatter.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/8/08 11:08 a.m.

I buy a lot of toilet seats. Uh, I work for a property management company. Yeah. All of the seats we buy are wood. I think at my house, they're all plastic. I don't know about porcelain.

Supercoupe
Supercoupe New Reader
7/8/08 11:09 a.m.

maybe she was just sitting on the rim because they couldn't afford a toilet seat

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/8/08 11:27 a.m.

^^^^i bet trump has solid gold toilet seats

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/8/08 11:57 a.m.

From: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92319389

You can't put a price on a dream — at least not all of it. An entrepreneur in Hong Kong says he grew up obsessed with gold. He became an apprentice goldsmith, then a wholesale jeweler. He built a house full of gold. Now that gold prices are soaring, the Wall Street Journal says he's melting it down. But no matter what the price, the man says he will keep his solid gold toilet.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/8/08 12:06 p.m.

Thanks doc, I needed a good laugh.

arg, I'm going to both cabelas and sportsmans guide to try and find the acrylic toile seat with bulets in side the acrilic, but no luck finding it , now im sad.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/8/08 12:40 p.m.

Seems it might be a wee bit cold in the winter.

Kramer
Kramer New Reader
7/8/08 1:20 p.m.

I doubt porcelain would last through the duty cycle.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH Dork
7/8/08 2:12 p.m.

I've seen wood, plastic, even padded vinyl ones...but never porcelain. I don't think that would work well anyways. Imagine how cold it would be...

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
7/8/08 2:23 p.m.

I have also seen metal ones when on ships.. but no porcelain.

maybe she thinks of the black bakelite?

Gimp
Gimp Dork
7/8/08 4:27 p.m.
Kramer wrote: I doubt porcelain would last through the duty cycle.

You said duty...

Kramer
Kramer New Reader
7/8/08 4:42 p.m.
Gimp wrote:
Kramer wrote: I doubt porcelain would last through the duty cycle.

You said duty...

I'm glad someone caught this. Finally. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who is so immature...

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/8/08 6:28 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I have also seen metal ones when on ships..

If you think getting your TONGUE stuck on cold metal would be bad...

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
7/8/08 10:24 p.m.

as I have said before.. you never realize how cold you really are in the winter until you have to stop and use the restroom.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver New Reader
7/8/08 11:09 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: as I have said before.. you never realize how cold you really are in the winter until you have to stop and use the restroom.

2 words, space heater

5min and its almost 90* in there

(and yes, it stays on the opposite side of the bathroom from the shower and also away from the sink)

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
7/9/08 12:48 a.m.

I was more referring to your hands after being outside for a while.

Wall-e
Wall-e SuperDork
7/10/08 9:14 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I was more referring to your hands after being outside for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3QKtMFeFcY

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/10/08 9:16 a.m.

My favorite toilet seat was the padded one that grandma left in our cottage when she moved into a living assisted facility. My brother and I moved into the cottage (in Inverhuron, Ontario) and we learned to sit just right, so that the large crack didn't "bite." Mom and Dad come up to visit, we were at school, Mom sat the wrong way on the toilet. We came home to a new seat. Oh, she hated the matress that I had (she took a nap after the toilet seat incident). New matress as well.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
7/10/08 9:18 a.m.

The white ones that look like porcelain are really some wood product.

GSmith
GSmith Reader
7/10/08 5:15 p.m.

You can get a white "bakelite-like" one that's solid plastic and heavy that will pass for porcelain for about $35 at Lowes.

Our toilet's right next to the shower; the wood ones last a year at best before bubbling - this one is holding up really well and looks as good / better than the white coated wood ones anyway!

Mike_M
Mike_M New Reader
7/10/08 11:54 p.m.

I've worked at home improvement retailers for the last five years or so (and my current store specializes in high-end, special order stuff, so we can get just about anything), and I've never seen a porcelain toilet seat.

Aside from the issue of getting damn cold in the winter, I can't imagine one holding up if it was closed in anything but a gentle manner.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/8/18 7:05 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe removed.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
9/8/18 9:55 a.m.

I really need to start checking the date of the first post before I spend time reading an entire thread. 

1 2
Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
of3WbEN8mExs5VMbDxN3o0rFbD0Xzw4Pd6bKTpI50hYFMvvWErvEyt4L1y08BIl2