1 2
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/28/19 7:37 a.m.

I've seen it mentioned here, but no first hand accounts.    Until now.

SWMBO wants to redo the front living room so the huge couch, two chairs, ottoman and coffee table are gone.  The lady next door uses FB all the time.  Trish threw it on there last night, nice photos for $350.  Got six inquiries in two hours, guy is coming today (< 24 hrs after posting) to pick them up.  The furniture will be in the garage by the time he gets here, trust no one.

So, one experience and it feels pretty positive; and never got the "Hey yo, I gots a cord o' firewood here...." guy.

Dan

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
4/28/19 7:46 a.m.

I've pretty much replaced craigslist with FB marketplace.   The amount of scammers is pretty much nill in comparison.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/28/19 8:06 a.m.

My wife sells household and kid items on FB marketplace.

There are more 4x100 wheels on there than Craigslist.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/28/19 8:21 a.m.

I'd almost join FaceBalls for it.

Almost.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/28/19 8:35 a.m.

I've found some good deals on FB marketplace as a buyer, but so far, I have been afraid to list anything, especially kid stuff. I may create a second account just for selling things.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/28/19 8:36 a.m.

I think that the advantage to FB Marketplace as a seller is that it blasts photos out to people who don't yet realize that they need your crap.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/28/19 8:37 a.m.

I've pretty much switched from CL to FB marketplace as well. Pre-move, we got rid of a fair amount of our stuff using marketplace. Yes, there were some timewasters, but I'd say there were fewer than via CL.

Recently sold and bought a motorcycle via FB marketplace, which also worked out fine. Same common sense applies with scams, but I find it easier to determine if it's a scammy account on FB than a scammer on CL. Not that the latter are hard to spot.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
4/28/19 8:58 a.m.

I would probably be off of the damned Facebook if it weren't for Marketplace.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
4/28/19 9:03 a.m.

I've only used it a couple of times, but so far so good. I like the fact that you actually have to use your name.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/28/19 9:59 a.m.

Not sure if I like using my name.  This was Trish's first foray into on line transactions, I think it's time to coach her on picture taking.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
4/28/19 10:07 a.m.

I bought my '61 Apache on FB marketplace.

Sold stuff.  Bought stuff.  It's just another site.

Weird people are everywhere. Except here.  You guys rock.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
4/28/19 10:10 a.m.

Bought my last 2 Subaru’s and all the dumb E36 M3 I am going to put on the good one from FB marketplace, tbh the interactions are much better and generally much less sketchy then Craigslist (generally.)

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/28/19 10:21 a.m.

I totally use the FB account of Mrs 84FSP for the marketplace...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
4/28/19 11:18 a.m.
914Driver said:

Not sure if I like using my name.  This was Trish's first foray into on line transactions, I think it's time to coach her on picture taking.

That couch is awesome! No wonder it sold so quickly. 

dj06482
dj06482 UltraDork
4/28/19 11:30 a.m.

We've bought and sold a bunch over FB Marketplace, and I prefer it (minus the poor ability to search/set alerts when buying) to CL.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/28/19 11:52 a.m.

I've sold a few things through marketplace now with decent results. I've honestly had more issues as a buyer than a seller. People just straight refusing to answer messages usually.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
4/28/19 12:49 p.m.

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1028928243968649/

Can someone pass his info to me? Or my info to him? I need some engine parts and can buy now!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/28/19 1:53 p.m.

Just posted NA 1.6 Miata turbo OBX manifold and downpipe on there for $100.

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
4/28/19 2:07 p.m.
Daylan C said:

I've sold a few things through marketplace now with decent results. I've honestly had more issues as a buyer than a seller. People just straight refusing to answer messages usually.

Been lookig for wheels, suprising lack of details. Ditto for cars for sale around me. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
4/28/19 2:35 p.m.

Others have said you need your Facebook account to have friends in order to post on marketplace , 

I guess I could dedicate a computer to Facebook only , finds some friends  :)  but what else is needed ?

I hate Facebook having access to my  computer and cell phone so need to isolate the Facebook account somehow.

Any ideas ?

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
4/28/19 3:23 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Others have said you need your Facebook account to have friends in order to post on marketplace , 

I guess I could dedicate a computer to Facebook only , finds some friends  :)  but what else is needed ?

I hate Facebook having access to my  computer and cell phone so need to isolate the Facebook account somehow.

Any ideas ?

Yeah, stop with the paranoia.  They already track you, whether you have an account or not.  Google is almost as bad.

use incognito mode on your browser, turn off all of the scripts and cookies you can, drop all of the ad networks you can get away with (noscript, adblocker, etc). and suck it up.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/28/19 3:37 p.m.

Here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, probably 80% of my ads get Spanish responses. That confuses me since my ads are all well written, in English, with zero mention of habla espanol.  Cragislist never had that problem.

And the low balling. Like, I would kick you damn ass in person if you insulted me that way. The keyboard makes people bold. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/28/19 3:58 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

For Firefox, “Facebook Container” keeps it reasonably well, err, contained. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
4/28/19 4:43 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:

Here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, probably 80% of my ads get Spanish responses. That confuses me since my ads are all well written, in English, with zero mention of habla espanol.  Cragislist never had that problem.

And the low balling. Like, I would kick you damn ass in person if you insulted me that way. The keyboard makes people bold. 

Yep, the lowballing is irritating.

Selling a set of 19” wheels for a BMW, $200. Shouldn’t be too bad, right?  That’s cheap for a decent set of wheels.

ive gotten $125 offers.  Some overly aggressive Corvette owner who wanted to meet at a tire shop across town, etc.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
4/28/19 6:08 p.m.

I’ve seen some screaming deals on FBMP. Haven’t jumped yet, mostly because I don’t have a truck.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UNQ9guiosKGsp6y1fkrYzmF9Xp4GW4cQg9c6MUaM7eyKQh82P5KniP3DtBXmZKX2