1 2
Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
4/28/19 6:34 p.m.

Sold a horse trailer on FB marketplace. No drama, easy sale. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/28/19 6:55 p.m.

No.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
4/28/19 7:47 p.m.

I have bought a motorcycle and pickup off FB marketplace, and sold a motorcycle and car on there as well. Has been better than CL for me so far.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
4/28/19 9:00 p.m.

I have an ad out on FB right now. I'm still getting questions about things that I put in the ad, but I did get a few inquiries from outside the local Craigslist area.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
4/28/19 11:12 p.m.

Yes Facebook marketplace is the new way to sell. They have only plusses at the moment as scammers and spammers are still learning how to get around the Facebook website and phone app. I have seen the attempts appear then disappear. I think Facebook "could" succeed but I am not sure if they really want to get caught up in the mess that is online sales bulletin boards. 

We are using it exclusively.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/29/19 6:14 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

That couch is awesome! No wonder it sold so quickly. 

She had it when we met, it's like 45 years old.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/29/19 6:48 a.m.

Sold my wife's Jeep on FBMP.  Only real annoyance as someone else noted the inquiries in Spanish. FFS people, if Spanish is your first language at least use Google translate to compose an email inquiry. Spanish language messages just get deleted.

I just scored a motorcycle for about half the original asking price by inquiring about an 'old' ad. Seller still had it, needed cash in a hurry and was thrilled I could make it go away within 3 days. Photos and descriptions are often as bad as the worst on C-list. I've seen some deals on cars in the sub-$1500 category and a lot of dreamers in the $2500-$5000 category.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
4/29/19 9:14 a.m.

Almost exclusively. Craigslist has been vacated here. 

It is annoying though. When selling an item, it brings in people from “you’re like 6 hours away can you meet me half way for a $50 part or will you ship an item for free.” 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/29/19 9:22 a.m.

I use it. Thr craigslist flakes are all there now, though. Cant serm to get someone to take my money half of the time. 

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
4/29/19 9:25 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:

Here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, probably 80% of my ads get Spanish responses. That confuses me since my ads are all well written, in English, with zero mention of habla espanol.  Cragislist never had that problem.

And the low balling. Like, I would kick you damn ass in person if you insulted me that way. The keyboard makes people bold. 

I don’t get upset about low ballers. All you have to do is say “no”. Or, if I’m really feeling salty, I’ll say, “sure. I’ll hold it for 3 days at that price, no refunds”. But never wanted to kick anyone’s ass over it. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/29/19 2:54 p.m.
914Driver said:
Pete Gossett said:

That couch is awesome! No wonder it sold so quickly. 

She had it when we met, it's like 45 years old.

Lots of memories on that couch?  

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
4/29/19 4:48 p.m.

I've bought, and sold, on FB marketplace.  It has a lot of the same issues as Craigslist, but at least the people you are dealing with aren't completely anonymous.  My primary issue with FB marketplace is the search engine blows chunks.  

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
4/29/19 5:40 p.m.

Yea the lack of search booleans and other search features is pretty annoying. 

Another issue is how pushy some folks can be, and how much they dislike you changing the price of an ad.

I sold an item awhile back and had TONS of people interested, which was surprising. I had a few folks offering more than my listing. To sort out of chafe, I raised my price on the ad. Well then I got nastygrams from people saying I was starting a bidding war - no, I just realized my price was too low. I still sold them for what I wanted. 

One thing that was annoying, but I think is now resolved is that Facebook Marketplace used to post all of your For Sale ads on your wall - so all your friends knew that you were trying to sell a set of heels in size Mens 13. Or gigantic black...suit. Or that bed frame with built in cuffs. That was annoying. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
4/29/19 7:19 p.m.
pheller said:

One thing that was annoying, but I think is now resolved is that Facebook Marketplace used to post all of your For Sale ads on your wall - so all your friends knew that you were trying to sell a set of heels in size Mens 13. Or gigantic black...suit. Or that bed frame with built in cuffs. That was annoying. 

If they were *really* good friends, they'd have known you had that stuff already... 

logdog
logdog UltraDork
4/29/19 7:45 p.m.

I have noticed in my area it is common to put a picture of what the pile of rusty parts they are selling would look like if it was fixed.  Usually this is used as the lead photo along with something along the lines of "This is what it could look like" in the ad. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/29/19 10:08 p.m.

Sold some stuff. Totally easy transaction. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
4/30/19 6:08 a.m.

I have bought and sold a bit through it without any major issues- have to admit that being linked to your fb profile is interesting, though.  My new friends have taught me a lot about chemtrails and government mind control, so that's neat I guess.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
4/30/19 3:01 p.m.

I'll try selling some stuff this spring a summer, maybe even post on both CL and FB to see which brings a sale soonest?

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
4/30/19 4:21 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I'd almost join FaceBalls for it.

Almost.

This is me too.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
5/2/19 7:39 p.m.

Apparently the new hotness in my area is for people to list entire cars in the auto parts section instead of the cars for sale section.

They list them as parting out (parts way over market value) or $price whole, clean title. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0VqDldRrnTjdukRWOuGt2KoXfzjHvP8ujZdswUj86F3KjKTv1lQa9RR0gc7xhOdw