1 2
bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
11/25/20 12:03 p.m.

Three provinces over. Seems pretty Orwellian to me. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/25/20 12:06 p.m.

Yep, except they're running plates to look for repos. 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/25/20 12:14 p.m.

Nope, but that appears to be a private vehicle and anything in public view is more or less legal to film.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/25/20 12:14 p.m.

Thats certainly something.  Almost looks like a troll or hiding in plain sight.  

iansane
iansane Reader
11/25/20 12:16 p.m.

I'm fairly certain the regular police cruisers around here all run at least one, if not multiple, license plate cameras during normal patrols.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
11/25/20 12:17 p.m.

Not advocating any sort of disobedience here, but those cables are just out in plain sight and it would be a real shame if they got unplugged every time that thing stopped moving.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
11/25/20 12:18 p.m.

Not here that I’ve ever seen

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/25/20 12:28 p.m.
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
11/25/20 12:34 p.m.

Never seen them for By Law enforcement, regular cop cars have 'em all the time.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/25/20 12:37 p.m.

Lots of them here.  Excellent revenue generator.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/25/20 12:39 p.m.

We have them here. Don't work if ya don't have tags cool

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
11/25/20 12:46 p.m.

I have not seen them while driving around So Cal .......But they probably have smaller ones on the light bars.....

And I never have seen a Private Company scanner car.....

But I have seen 4-5 of the Google , Microsoft and another mapping car with cameras on the roof.....

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
11/25/20 1:31 p.m.

Repo companies send them out but usually not quite that obvious.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/25/20 1:37 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I have not seen them while driving around So Cal .......But they probably have smaller ones on the light bars.....

But I have seen 4-5 of the Google , Microsoft and another mapping car with cameras on the roof.....

The have them on a LOT of freeway on ramps and freeways.  Not talked about a lot, but they even mentioned them in a news item a year or so ago (some idiot lighting things on fire).  I don't know if they use them to enforce tags or repros, but they definitely know when and where people are going.

Here is an article on wanting to install them in NorCal:

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/12/11/regional-freeway-license-plate-reader-network-coming-to-highways-4-and-80/

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/25/20 1:39 p.m.

We don't have anything hideous like that, but police cars and especially tow trucks run them.

Rons
Rons Reader
11/25/20 1:56 p.m.

City of North Vancouver uses that technology with fewer cameras. City of Vancouver relies on a large crew on foot, bicycle, scooter and car.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/25/20 2:15 p.m.

Assuming Canadian law enforcement has specific license plates like they do in the US, that would appear to be a civilian car?

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
11/25/20 2:18 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

That is a municipal employee.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
11/25/20 2:19 p.m.
aircooled said:
californiamilleghia said:

The have them on a LOT of freeway on ramps and freeways.  Not talked about a lot, but they even mentioned them in a news item a year or so ago (some idiot lighting things on fire).  I don't know if they use them to enforce tags or repros, but they definitely know when and where people are going.

Here is an article on wanting to install them in NorCal:

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/12/11/regional-freeway-license-plate-reader-network-coming-to-highways-4-and-80/

many of the ones at freeway on ramps are smog sniffers.....

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/25/20 2:24 p.m.

I've not seen a car like that. A number of the Columbia city cops have them and they have lots of them at fixed locations (light, signal, & power poles) around the more heavily traveled intersections in the city. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/25/20 2:28 p.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

In reply to stuart in mn :

That is a municipal employee.

A glorified hall monitor.

Funny how every time the city / province / country goes looking for money, the only answer is to pick on the taxpayer some more. The solution is never to trim the fat or stop waste.

A taxpayer is like a cow. If you milk the cow too often, you might get kicked.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/25/20 4:24 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

or if you're still running John Welsh's tag on the Q45

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/25/20 5:29 p.m.

We have them here for scofflaw towing. Once you owe the city a certain amount of parking fines a private company can boot or impound your car, the plate readers troll for hits, boot the car and call for a tow. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/25/20 5:58 p.m.

Hell no, I've never seen one

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/25/20 6:38 p.m.

I think the "Stay back 5 meters" notice is just a suggestion that would invite frequent tailgating.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GGar5J77V0PV5m2T41EWm2Wsp4tf3bd3yBpktoaqxJFUbREaPvpF8LFBHwI8QbW4