2 3 4
Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
10/31/12 4:14 p.m.
xflowgolf wrote: so aside from fancy local brews, what's left out there that's a traditional "American" style Lite beer that's actually still American? As noted, sometimes a good cheap light beer just hits the spot. Any major brands still American?

Depends on your location.
East/South: Yuengling
North/Midwest Schell's/Grainbelt South: Shiner
West: edit: Trumer

I'm sure there are others I just can't think of off the top of my head because I'm not from those regions.

Edit: Interestingly Shine is owned by/is The Gambrinus Company. They are based out of Texas. Along with Shiner, they also own Pete's, Bridgeport, and Trumer. So... Trumer Pils is now officially an American Beer (and is brewed in Berkeley, CA).

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/31/12 5:12 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
pilotbraden wrote: I have heard the green bottle lets in light for years. But how much light gets through a cardboard box? Is beer stored under bright light?
You would be surprised how fast light will make a beer go off. On a warm sunny summer afternoon a glass of IPA in a clear pint glass that has spent 3 minutes in full sunlight will taste different than a fresh pour.
And thats why I keep all my beer glasses in the freezer.

I'm confused how a cold glass prevents light penetration?

xFactor
xFactor Reader
11/1/12 6:30 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
pilotbraden wrote: I have heard the green bottle lets in light for years. But how much light gets through a cardboard box? Is beer stored under bright light?
You would be surprised how fast light will make a beer go off. On a warm sunny summer afternoon a glass of IPA in a clear pint glass that has spent 3 minutes in full sunlight will taste different than a fresh pour.

Just about any beer will taste different resting in a glass vs. straight out of the bottle. They open up, like wine does when you decant it.

later,matt

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
11/1/12 10:19 a.m.
xFactor wrote: Just about any beer will taste different resting in a glass vs. straight out of the bottle. They open up, like wine does when you decant it. later,matt

I am referring to the skunky "green bottle" flavor. At my happy hour spot in the summer time it is common to screw with guys going to the restroom by sliding their glass of IPA out of the shade while they are gone and pushing it back a few minutes later. Everyone notices the difference.

http://www.professorbeer.com/articles/skunked_beer.html

According to that site it takes less than 30 seconds for a well hopped beer to skunk up.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
11/1/12 10:23 a.m.
xFactor wrote: Just about any beer will taste different resting in a glass vs. straight out of the bottle. They open up, like wine does when you decant it.

Not quite. The biggest issue is that the larger mouth gets you more aroma. Most flavors are actually aromas. With a glass you get your nose closer to the aroma, and it also releases more bubbles that can keep that flavor being released. The wide lip of the glass also lets the beer hit your mouth more fully.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UltraDork
11/1/12 11:19 a.m.

For a few months the Kroger by my house has Schlitz in bottles for like $6. It was my favorite cheap beer but they have stopped carrying it.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
11/1/12 11:31 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
N Sperlo wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
And thats why I keep all my beer glasses in the freezer.
I'm confused how a cold glass prevents light penetration?

It doesn't. It keeps the beer colder for longer. But you're talking about unopened beer, aren't you? I hate drinking warm beer and thats what I was thinking.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
11/1/12 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

And at least I don't swallow as much air when drinking from a glass, which means less, well, you know...

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
11/1/12 2:42 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Beer has to age. "Fresh" beer is skanky beer.

I completely disagree with you, outside of the time it takes bottle conditioned beer to develop a good carbonation.

Unless a beer is designed to be aged (high alcohol, etc.) it will go bad.

Unless we have different ideas of what aging means? I am talking about aging like wine, not letting it be ready to drink.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
11/1/12 7:17 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: Beer has to age. "Fresh" beer is skanky beer.
I completely disagree with you, outside of the time it takes bottle conditioned beer to develop a good carbonation. Unless a beer is designed to be aged (high alcohol, etc.) it will go bad. Unless we have different ideas of what aging means? I am talking about aging like wine, not letting it be ready to drink.

This is correct. Technically, all beer needs to be aged a couple weeks, but this happens in the brewery. The vast majority of beers are meant to be drunk fresh, or within a limited span of time. There are beers that frequently taste better with a little bit of aging (a couple months), and there are some that are meant to be laid down for a couple years

Old beer will technically not "go bad" (unless it leaches metals or plastics from the cap or can or something), but the flavor will change and typically for the worse.

That said, there are some people who just prefer the flavor changes that a beer undergoes as it ages, even if it wasn't meant to. Nothing wrong with that.

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
11/1/12 7:51 p.m.

Mid atlantic local but still super good!!

Grizz
Grizz Dork
11/1/12 8:00 p.m.

Every Flying Dog I've ever had has tasted like E36 M3.

4eyes
4eyes Dork
11/2/12 1:42 a.m.

You clear-beer guys should try Shiner's Blonde, and Light Blonde.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
11/2/12 7:21 a.m.

Oh, worried about Corona being ruined by InBev too?

Dont worry we are safe.

Seriously. After the first one it tastes the same. And its cheaper.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
11/2/12 7:31 a.m.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/2/12 8:37 a.m.
failboat wrote: Oh, worried about Corona being ruined by InBev too?

How could InBev ruin Corona? It is already the gold standard for over-priced, bottom rung swill water.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
11/2/12 9:10 a.m.
failboat wrote: Oh, worried about Corona being ruined by InBev too? Dont worry we are safe. Seriously. After the first one it tastes the same. And its cheaper.

Years ago I drank that almost all the time. But sometime, maybe 10-15 yrs ago, they suddenly lowered the price, and when they did the taste went with it. I find it horrible now. I'm not a Corona drinker, but seriously, it tastes nothing like it.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qTOEX4saERI1LdhvPup2GNXjwk1lGqz0bFamhVnxO4U8q4PVjUkU9PGpsittYbnb