Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
5/19/22 11:03 a.m.

The vent from my dryer points out into my covered patio and everything ends up with a coating of dryer lint. I was thinking of making a box to cover the vent with an HVAC or car air filter on it so that the lint would get trapped but still let the dryer vent. 
Anyone done anything similar? Any other suggestions or off the shelf solution?
Thanks

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
5/19/22 11:13 a.m.

Pantyhose.  Scrunch it all up around the vent, leave 4-6 inches hanging, when the hanging part gets full, pull off another couple inches.  Eventually dump that leg in the trash, grab the other leg and start over.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
5/19/22 11:14 a.m.

Are you able to snake a hose from the vent exiting into the patio to exit outside of the patio? i.e. just extend the vent hose. Alternatively, my parents used to run the dryer in the kitchen (only place with an outlet for one up until last week), and they dryer came with a lint catch box. You'd fill it with water and the top was vented and had a small charcoal filter or something similar. 

Did your dryer not come with one? 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/19/22 11:14 a.m.

For many years our dryer was in the garage. We had an attachment for the end of the hose that had a thing like a water dish that caught the lint. Worked decent and had to be cleaned and refilled regularly.  I'll edit in a pic or link when I find it.

Pic:

wae
wae PowerDork
5/19/22 11:15 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Pantyhose.  Scrunch it all up around the vent, leave 4-6 inches hanging, when the hanging part gets full, pull off another couple inches.  Eventually dump that leg in the trash, grab the other leg and start over.

That's a great idea, but I think you're supposed to take the legs out of the pantyhose before you use it...

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
5/19/22 11:16 a.m.

The HVAC filter sounds like an interesting idea because it could be large. The best thing would be to get it to discharge away from the porch. There are very specific rules on dryer vents because clogged vents cause a lot of fires each year. I think hard pipe vent length is 15' and a 90* bend counts as 3'.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/19/22 11:22 a.m.

I too am in the early stages of considering venting my Dryer not outside but rather down into my cement floored crawl space.  This would be an electric dryer so no Carbon Dioxide like a gas dryer.  I'm then considering running an automatic dehumidifier in the crawl area and its collected water could run directly into my sump pump crock.   

There are indoor dryer vents with filters.  Sample: https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Polyester-Upgrade-Filters-Electric/dp/B095KG5FPT/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B095KG5FPT&psc=1

I have not researched enough to tell a good one from a bad one.  

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
5/20/22 12:18 a.m.

Thanks for the replies - one of those indoor lint traps looks like it would do the job.

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
5/20/22 1:02 p.m.

I can speak to this as the house i moved into has this exact model- https://www.amazon.com/Tjernlund-LT4-DEDPV-Dryer-Booster/dp/B00YFQ03KW/ref=asc_df_B00YFQ03KW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309789297054&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17487243228364792794&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061301&hvtargid=pla-571147965995&psc=1

It works pretty well, and we have the same issue with our vent going out to the patio with no good way of re-routing it. It still allows for good airflow, but basically its a secondary mesh screen, so you don't have to buy more filters over time. 

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
5/20/22 3:28 p.m.

In reply to LifeIsStout :

Thanks

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wQfuJIDAcsFNIf7S6Qtf2poV3EccrLYGoTmW45t2Cak1Cf0GoiT1OOrauycVWzS0