bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
2/7/12 11:08 a.m.

I've got a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500 Ext cab short bed 4WD with the 6.0 engine. I'm thinking about getting something newer and ran across a truck that is pretty much what I want, but has a Duramax. If I'm really nice to it, I can get around 17.5 mpg on the freeway with my current truck. This new truck is a 2007 2500HD crew cab 4WD. Anyone have any idea how the mileage would compare?

danvan
danvan New Reader
2/7/12 11:14 a.m.

i get about 22 on the hiway with mine if i am nice to it you would do better than that on the freeway,not alot of freeways in northren bc

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/7/12 11:23 a.m.

I have an '04 and a half LLY motor and I did that on purpose because the newer trucks got more emissions and less mileage according to a few people "in the know" on here that answered my questions. The older trucks have difficult to get to injectors (have to remove the valve covers) and make less power, some conjecture around HG failure as well..

So, having said all of that for no good reason... I get 23hwy, 18.5 cty, 15 pulling a 22' box trailer loaded with tools, race car and "stuff" as long as I keep the speed to 68mph or lower (under 2.1k rpms). Over that it falls drastically but makes cool smoke clouds. I am running the factory tune with no mods.

I have a friend with a new one (IIRC it's an '11) and he gets horrific mileage. Something like 15 hwy, 7 towing. I do not know if has any programming changes but that is down there with a big block gas motor but at a $7k premium price tag.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
2/7/12 11:30 a.m.

Yep, research the year to make sure it's one that gets good mpg, and get a tune. Oh, and typically duramax's get best mpg at around 1800rpm steady state cruising, so if you can make sure it doesn't have 4.10's that's always handy.

We just towed 4000kms towing 7000 pounds of trailer behind a 2010 crew cab 4x4 dmax (that was also fully loaded with tools, spare parts, and bodies, had the bed completely stacked to the roof of the topper) with a tune at 130km/h (80mph), we got 20L/100kms (12mpg). Pretty decent, considering we had cruise set and it didn't matter if we were going uphill we still did the 80mph, passed semis, and in general made good time.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
2/7/12 11:40 a.m.

Would a 2007 be before or after the fuel mileage dropped?

curtis73
curtis73 SuperDork
2/7/12 11:45 a.m.

I'm pretty sure 08 was when they did the DPF. My Dad's 08 has the DPF and he's getting 13-14 highway (dually w/ 4/10s)

His 04 is getting 22 highway (crew cab short bed SRW, 3.73s) and the worst he ever got was 14 towing 10k lbs in the mountains.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
2/7/12 12:23 p.m.

Granted it's a Ford and not a Chevy, but since my neighbor got his F-250 King Ranch with the little powerstroke, he's lucky to get 11 mpg. I think it might have something to do with the fact that he seems to think it's a race car.

2/7/12 12:26 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: I'm pretty sure 08 was when they did the DPF. My Dad's 08 has the DPF and he's getting 13-14 highway (dually w/ 4/10s) His 04 is getting 22 highway (crew cab short bed SRW, 3.73s) and the worst he ever got was 14 towing 10k lbs in the mountains.

I also have 2500 crew cab, 6.5 box, 3.73s.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
2/7/12 3:37 p.m.

Buy the diesel for the power, not to save money. I doubt you'll get paid back for the extra cash it'll cost to step up to a diesel.

As a reference, my 99 cummins gets 16-18 around town, 20-22 higway empty and 15 towing an extra tall horse trailer (about 7000 lbs). Given the opportunity, I'd trade for an equivalent value gas truck.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
2/7/12 3:58 p.m.

Deleting the DPF will equal an EASY 2-4mpg GAIN in mileage. Thank you EPA! Cacksuckers.

shaunp
shaunp
2/8/12 10:18 a.m.

2007.5 is when the millage drop would have happened. It's when DPF's were put on Duramax engines. I have a 2008 long bed , crew cab 4x4. Stock I averaged 14.7 city highway 75/25. Now with DPF ripped off 4" AFE turbo back exhaust and quadzilla stealth II program of 135 + HP I get an awesome fun to drive beast that gets 15 city 19.5 highway. Average is 16.5 mixed driving. Never heard of a duramax getting more than 20 on any trip ever for any reason. People talk so much BS online it's not even funny. I can see 21 - 23 on my trip computer on a 55 mph drive. Then you stop at one stop light or exit to get food and it's at 19.5 by the end of the 200 mile trip. I have run stock with no DPF tune, Econo no DPF tune, 50 hp no dpf tune. But the best millage comes from the highest HP tune 135 HP on mine. It is like driving a corvette truck. Cold air intake of course. Torque converter does slip a bit with this tune. 2008 Duramax with DPF on it 14.7 from me and several friends that have my year truck or newer. Remove DPF and you see almost 2 mpg more. Ihave 160,000 miles on my truck and have done brakes once and replaced one electronic gas pedal. Gas pedal failure on Silverado is common. Says engine power reduced. No throttle.Pull over disconnect both batteries 15 minutes then its fine after that. A week later it will do it again. Just replace assembly. Other than that it's the best vehicle I have ever owned. 2 mpg gain is the best gain I have seen on any setting in any driving conditions ever.

curtis73
curtis73 SuperDork
2/8/12 1:17 p.m.

Free up the intake, exhaust, and add a tune. That's about all you can really do.

I have a friend who put a Buick 455 valvespring under the acc pedal of his Cummins. It provides big pressure feedback at about 2/3 throttle. You can still mash it if you need the extra oomph, but it keeps him at 24+ empty.

curtis73
curtis73 SuperDork
2/8/12 1:19 p.m.
stumpmj wrote: Buy the diesel for the power, not to save money. I doubt you'll get paid back for the extra cash it'll cost to step up to a diesel.

In fleet maintenance its actually the opposite. when you consider fuel savings, resale value, maintenance, longevity, etc, the diesel always puts more money back in your pocket.

That gap is getting closed with the new gas engines getting better MPG and the DPFs sucking more fuel, but the nod still goes to the diesel.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
2/8/12 1:44 p.m.

Who's talking about a fleet? For non-professional use, the diesel option won't pay for itself especially considering the higher cost of diesel. Not to mention higher maintanence and part costs.

On the other hand, who doesn't lust for 800 lb-ft of torque?

2/8/12 1:56 p.m.
shaunp wrote: Never heard of a duramax getting more than 20 on any trip ever for any reason.

I have averaged 18.5 mixed city, hwy, towing over the last 25k miles. I routinely see 22 hwy empty, no cap, cruise set on 68. Stock tune. Stock 17" regular tires (no big ass ATs on 22s) in my '04 & 1/2 LLY, 2500, crew, short bed 3.73 gears.

It seems like it isn't all that uncommon in the paddock either. I hear cummins guys claiming 25 and get a little skeptical though.

2/8/12 2:06 p.m.
stumpmj wrote: Who's talking about a fleet? For non-professional use, the diesel option won't pay for itself especially considering the higher cost of diesel. Not to mention higher maintanence and part costs. On the other hand, who doesn't lust for 800 lb-ft of torque?

Meh - It does not cost that much more in maintenace except oil volume and one extra filter. Fuel is a push - it costs more but goes further. Premium on buy in cost should mitigate itself on longevity but that is not guaranteed. You are probably correct - but it isn't so much more that most people buying a truck that needs a 9800lb truck tag are going to start skipping meals.

If it died tomorrow - I'd buy another diesel because it makes for a much better tow and if it did cost me a slight bit more - its like adding up the cost of better coffee every day. It doesn't hurt that much.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
2/8/12 2:14 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Folgers instead of Great Value?

2/8/12 2:27 p.m.

I am an 8 O'clock Columbian upgrader.

codrus
codrus New Reader
2/9/12 12:00 a.m.

Mine gets 14 in city driving, 14 towing the Miata on the highway. I dunno what it does on the highway without towing -- never tried (I'll take the Audi instead if I don't need to tow). '02 Silverado 2500HD, crew cab SWB 2WD.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
2/9/12 9:40 a.m.

I drive my current truck everyday. I'm looking for a newer truck and came across one that has everything I want, is in my price range and has a duramax. I do tow up to 10k lbs at times. I wouldn't be buying it for the fuel savings. I'd be buying it for the reasons I just stated. I just wanted to make sure the mileage would be as good or better than my current truck, since I do spend a lot on gas. Sounds like as long as I get one before the mileage drop I'll be okay. Thanks for the info, guys.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
2/9/12 10:22 a.m.

I'm buying a 2001 Chebby 3500 dually with the Duramax from a good friend and he says he averages 18 mpg driving around empty and 12 mpg with a 36' camper in tow.

Granted I borrowed a friends new Ram 1500 with the Hemi and averaged 26 mpg on the highway thanks to cylinder deactivation and a little effort on my part. He couldn't believe I had done that well, but then again he drives like the world is a drag strip.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
2/10/12 12:46 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Was that RAM 4wd or 2, and what style cab and bed? I had always heard that the Hemi was not very efficient, even with the cylinder deactivation.

curtis73
curtis73 SuperDork
2/10/12 6:35 p.m.
stumpmj wrote: Who's talking about a fleet?

I'm simply referring to the fact that in my experience in fleet maintenance - hands down, no question, on the average; a diesel truck will put way more money in your pocket than a gas. Everyone gripes about the extra oil and more frequent oil changes, the extra maintenance (which these days amounts to changing a fuel filter once or twice a year), and the parts cost. But even when you take the purchase price, add the total cost of maintenance and repair over (let's say) 200k miles and then subtract the resale, a diesel truck puts WAY more money back in your pocket. I was simply mentioning it from my experience as a fleet maintenance supervisor. Our numbers (at least through 2005) showed an average of 20% less total cash outlay over the lifespan of a diesel vs. gas. If you include reduced fuel costs (at the time when it made a larger difference) that number was more like 35%.

I guess what I'm saying is; buy a gas truck for $20k, run it for 200k miles, and good luck selling it for $3000. Buy a Diesel truck for $25k, run it for 200k, and you can still usually get $15k for it.

My own personal first experience with one was a 95 F250 PSD. I bought with 60k on it for $10k. I wrecked it three times and just collected the checks without fixing it (cosmetic stuff) totalling $3000 which put my total investment at $7000. I sold it three years later with 135k on it for $7100. I enjoyed 22 mpg, and the only thing I ever had to replace was one GPR for $48. The rest was routine maintenance.

On the other hand, who doesn't lust for 800 lb-ft of torque?

Or how about a daily driven 1200hp/2100tq Cummins (and that's at the wheels) that frequently tows 15,000 lbs with 450k on the odometer?

... Looking for link.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HY0AML8CIewvFh7KwCEnwy7uETv1ArdUrXroqdmX6Hy4ACyU3tcb6NpX6Om9GL30