1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/12/18 9:56 a.m.

First time I've seen this.  I have an email with an offer to buy a baseball bat that I was looking at for my son.  Bought a different one last week.  Today I get email from this seller with money off his bat.  Wow.  You'd think if they're going to allow such e-marketing, they'd at least make it sophisticated enough to know that you'd already bought a similar item.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
9/12/18 11:05 a.m.

Was it from the seller or eBay?

AFAICT, there is no way to directly contact an individual who has merely looked at your item, but eBay is able to send out mass emails to anyone they want.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/12/18 11:37 a.m.
Cooter said:

Was it from the seller or eBay?

AFAICT, there is no way to directly contact an individual who has merely looked at your item, but eBay is able to send out mass emails to anyone they want.

The email is definitely from ebay and not the seller directly, but it's an offer to sell at a lower price than what it was when I looked at the item.  Exact wording is "_______ is delighted that you're interested in this item and has sent you an offer:"

Might be a way to change in marketing preferences, but who has time to figure that stuff out?  I know that I did not knowingly sign up for it.  No big whoop.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc HalfDork
9/12/18 12:02 p.m.

Was it in your watch list?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/12/18 1:19 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

Was it in your watch list?

You sir, are brilliant!  My wife put it in there.  I was thinking it was merely viewed.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
9/12/18 1:22 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

eBay now allows sellers to send out an "offer" to everyone who has their item on a watchlist.   I was just given the opportunity to do exactly that about a week ago.

I declined eBay's wonderful new "opportunity"

Dave
Dave Reader
9/12/18 1:49 p.m.

Browse eBay not logged in - solves it.

Will
Will UltraDork
9/12/18 6:27 p.m.

Ebay occasionally sends me an email saying someone has an item I'm selling on their watchlist or in their cart. They tell me that if I lower the price by 5%, they'll send that person an email letting them know.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lw2zIpcyH34elCW3zFYpkiqfV4CSCdAJwZxS9kYucGbW2YTIUqs7frorgAXCVcCO