1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/25/21 10:56 a.m.

So, continuing with the RX-7 engine rebuild, I have come to the flywheel.  After cleaning it up, it seems to be in pretty good shape.  No broken teeth or other damage.  If I rub my fingers over the friction surface, I can feel very slight undulations, so I'm guessing a resurface might be a good thing?  Can any good shop do this?

I probably wouldn't bother if I was putting the old clutch back on, but a new clutch is here and standing by for installation, so I want to do it right.

Pic of flywheel:

fly

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/25/21 11:10 a.m.

My local transmission shop does them for me while I wait. They keep track of the amount of material they remove and include a flywheel shim to compensate.

Not expensive at all.

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
4/25/21 1:39 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

Nice!

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

If you can,  find someone to resurface it.  The new clutch will grab better with the new surface.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/26/21 2:07 p.m.

Done!

Sadly, unlike some people, I did not have pictures of the shop proprietor in bed with another man's wife, so I paid $60.

done

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/26/21 2:11 p.m.

80 bucks here, Never heard of the shim before but I can see the argument for it.

I would not do a clutch job without because of the PITA factor if it is  not right.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
4/26/21 2:48 p.m.

After my last ring gear flip I tried a new way to resurface a flywheel.  You see I work right near the machine shop where we have a large surface grinder or two.  It worked really well, no pics.

We just sold our Blanchard grinder, the machine that provides the nice swirl pattern, turns out that a clutch doesn't even care.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
4/26/21 3:07 p.m.

I've done them on a lathe, had them done on a brake lathe, done properly on a grinder, and also with a flap disc on a 4" angle grinder, and done nothing.

They all worked fine.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/26/21 3:18 p.m.

I just hit my own with a flap disc or roloc and send it (drag racer), for customers the machine shop up the street charges $50

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BYk4u9hI8DaHnfM8swlitjw64iHJbqGrL1c1LeHe9XGugnnHRT2TSfw15oHdKGpm