2 3 4
vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
7/1/16 10:01 p.m.
Nick (picaso) Comstock wrote:
Wall-e wrote: In reply to vwcorvette: I was surprised to grow up and find out that delis on every corner weren't common everywhere else.
And I have never stepped foot into a deli.

My Dad was a deli clerk for close to thirty years and nearly opened his own. My Mom also worked for a while in a deli. As did I and 3 of my brothers. I miss a good deli. Slightly dark, little room to move around, the potato salad is made by the wife of the owner, and Boar's Head is in the case.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
7/2/16 8:24 a.m.
Woody wrote: Eggs come in two sizes: Small and Regular. Small eggs can be easily identified by the words "Extra Large" on the carton. Regular eggs are also referred to as "Jumbo". If the "egg carton" in your fridge has the words "large" or "medium" on it, it means that you are out of eggs. There are seven acceptable things that can be found on top of eggs. The first, of course, is a chicken. The others include: salt, pepper, ketchup (not catsup), bacon, ham and cheese. If there is syrup near your eggs, then you probably woke up in New Hampshire.

No, bad Woody. Ketchup goes nowhere near eggs.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/2/16 8:57 a.m.

I was in the eastern part of Oregon last week and thought I would try grits with breakfast. Being Canadian, I've never had grits.

What is the appeal of corn, butter and sand mixed together? uGh...

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
7/2/16 9:13 a.m.

In reply to vwcorvette:

My dad had a 7up route when I was a kid. Most of his customers were delis. I spent many summers lugging soda down narrow staircases into basements. He and his helper had the route laid out each day so they would end up where they wanted lunch on a particular day depending on what their specials were.

Edit: I like my eggs scrambled on a roll with salt pepper and ketchup, and sometimes a could slices of roast beef. I get fresh eggs from a friend that are very large and have green shells.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
7/2/16 10:29 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: I was in the eastern part of Oregon last week and thought I would try grtis with breakfast. Being Canadian, I've never had grits. What is the appeal of corn, butter and sand mixed together? uGh...

Oh, man, you should know better than to bring up that kind of stuff. Next, you will mention the Elmers glue they call gravy down there...

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
7/2/16 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

If you ever find yourself in St. Louis, make sure to try a slinger.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/2/16 10:54 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: In reply to Trans_Maro: If you ever find yourself in St. Louis, make sure to try a slinger.

Looks good!

You sure they don't call it "The clogger"?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/2/16 12:00 p.m.

Or the Trotter.

Gary
Gary Dork
7/2/16 12:29 p.m.

I saw this thread pop up a few days ago but didn't read it until just now. Shame on me. Woody's original post is absolutely brilliant. A genuine classic initial post to kick off a great thread. It's currently 1:25 pm, I've been working in the yard for six hours and all I've had is a cup of coffee and yogurt at 7:00 am and a beer just now. After reading this thread I'm damn hungry. I discovered we have a dozen "extra large browns" (eggs of course) in the fridge, which if I understand correctly are merely "small." I'm disappointed. So perhaps due to that, I'm inclined to scramble them all and garnish with a half bottle of ketchup, which, I suppose, is a "small" bottle of ketchup.

captdownshift
captdownshift UberDork
7/2/16 6:21 p.m.
mndsm wrote:

Tabasco is an affront to all things condiment related. It makes a mockery of good hot sauce and doesn't even qualify as fancy ketchup.

Add Sriracha to that catagory as well, it's only purpose should be to flavor canned imatation pork.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
7/2/16 10:10 p.m.

Chicken cubes fried in a little butter and a lot of red hot. If the pan starts to dry out, add a little water as you go to keep it from burning. Add fresh garlic at the end and crack a couple of eggs and stir it in. Serve on a roll or as a main course with rice or couscous. Best Buffalo chicken sandwiches you ever had. Marinate a steak in hot sauce, fresh garlic and Italian dressing. Pan fry and add an egg on top after you flip the steak. Cover with a lid once the egg is put on top so it poaches as the steak cooks. I have chickens so I have to come up with unique ways to get rid of eggs.... huge eggs that don't fit into regular egg cartons.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
7/3/16 8:10 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: ... Oregon ... grits ...

Found your problem.

RevRico
RevRico HalfDork
7/3/16 8:30 a.m.

Ah I wish I had a picture to post. If you ever find yourself in Lincoln or Auburn California, go to Awful Annie's. It's a seasonal item, but they make a French toast Monte Cristo sandwich that is one of the best uses of eggs I've ever had. Ask for it crunchy if you're so inclined. "Crunchy" adds a dip in crushed cornflakes before the bread goes on the griddle. Stacked high inside homemade cinnamon swirl French toast, is enough ham egg and bacon to start a farm, for all of $7 including home fries and coffee, $10 if a mimosa is your breakfast drink of choice. The only redeeming quality of Lincoln, CA come to think of it.

Now where did I put that ham?

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
7/3/16 9:05 a.m.
captdownshift wrote:
mndsm wrote: Tabasco is an affront to all things condiment related. It makes a mockery of good hot sauce and doesn't even qualify as fancy ketchup.
Add Sriracha to that catagory as well, it's only purpose should be to flavor canned imatation pork.

I found out that Tabasco can go bad. Found three mini-bottles in the back of the cupboard, used one on scrambled eggs yesterday. It came out chunky and brown and tasted funny. (Of course I ate it. I'm not throwing away perfectly good eggs.)

Sriracha is overrated but a decent substitute for Tabasco if you want something mild. I put it on rice, meatloaf, and mashed potatoes.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
7/3/16 9:39 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote: ... Oregon ... grits ...
Found your problem.

Oh yeah, I cringed when I saw that! We lived in North Carolina for 6 years, so N.C. grits, yeah. Smooth, lightly textured, mildy seasoned with butter or a touch of full cured ham... and over medium eggs on the side.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
7/3/16 10:43 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Bacon & Egg baked in a muffin tin.

Thanks to this thread I made these this morning. Very tasty! The whole gang approved and I looked like I knew my way around the kitchen.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/5/16 8:55 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
914Driver wrote: Bacon & Egg baked in a muffin tin.
Wow. I've got to try that.

So I did. It didn't come out looking nearly as good, but it tasted great. Next time I think I'll need to pre-cook the bacon a bit so it turns out nice and crispy, instead of putting raw bacon in the muffin tin, cracking an egg into it, and popping it in the oven.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/5/16 9:04 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

Put the bacon on the bottom.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
7/5/16 12:09 p.m.

One of the best breakfasts I've ever had was a skillet with
Eggs
Hash browns
Cheese
BBQ brisket

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
7/5/16 12:23 p.m.

The best use for grits (and a great use for eggs, to the original topic) is Grits Casserole. The basic recipe is 1 cup of dry grits (which you make in 3 cups of salted water, cooked slow, and stirring constantly or it WILL clump) and a dozen scrambled eggs, a half-stick of butter and a cup of cheese. Mix it all together in a well-larded 9x13 baking pan, dot with more pats of butter (the other half a stick), sprinkle another cup of cheese on top, cover with foil, and bake at 375 until the top is golden brown and it's bubbly underneath.

The great thing about Grits Casserole is you can mix in anything else you want. Usually I'll crumble in a half a pound or so of sausage, some peppers and onions, garlic, and whatever else happens to be in the fridge that's on the verge of being tossed out.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/5/16 12:23 p.m.

Spray a muffin tin with Pam.

Drop a disc of bread into the bottom of the cup.

wrap bacon around the inside of the cup.

Drop in one egg.

Bake 350' for about 10 minutes.

Foolproof.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/28/20 4:41 p.m.

Necrothread. I saw a clip of Gordon Ramsay on facebook and realized that I've been scrambling eggs wrong my entire life. 

I didn't do it exactly like him, no crème fraîche, but wow. So much better than the rubber I've been feeding myself for the 24ish years that I've been making eggs. I recommend looking up the videos - but, basically, cook it in a sauce pan and not a frying pan, use a ton of COLD butter, beat it for the entire time its cooking, and keep putting the pan on and off the heat. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
4/26/22 5:35 p.m.
2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5xwBKCKcN63GUlvaCcX6foT6ldlusI6DhHs8I2g1OvCJ4wouU1J3IHVEMIJ57Jvu