1 2
Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
9/24/20 1:44 p.m.

Because the GRM hive knows everything I figured I'd ask here. 
 At work our flooring subcontractor managed to fill the floor drain traps with epoxy flooring. This was just discovered. The drain piping is thin wall PVC and is in the sub basement so no access from below. Is there anything that will clear out the epoxy without damaging the piping. 
 This is a hospital project so the epoxy flooring is industrial grade.  I'm not concerned with who or how this is getting paid for I just don't want to have to start cutting up floors in finished space.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/24/20 1:51 p.m.

There really isn't anything I know of that will chemically remove cured epoxy.

If it is just some minor overflow that ran into the FDs during installation, a good powered rooter might be able to scrape it out.  If it is a lot, you're probably looking at saw cutting the slab and digging down to replace the pipe.

I just had this happen to 4-5 drains on one of my projects but it was mostly some heavy dribbles and the broadcast aggregate.  The contractor was able to scrape the cured stuff out of the pipe.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/24/20 2:20 p.m.

Generally the purpose of epoxy is to prevent anything from being able to dissolve it.

Maybe if you could post the SDS for what they used something might be able to be done, but it is going to be a massive time sink because the solvent will dissolve only the current surface layer

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/24/20 2:50 p.m.
Duke said:

An lean oxyacetylene mixture should be able to do that, but not without damaging the pipe. And possibly the floors.

Are we talking constructed pipes or completely plugged?

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/24/20 3:16 p.m.

First off:

Most of the chemicals I know that will remove epoxy will also melt the PVC pipes. Any idea how deep the pipe is below the floor? If you are insane, you could drill out the epoxy part of the way down, stopping at the bend in the trap. At that point you'd need flexible cable drive with a rasp of some kind, and some way to direct it.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/24/20 3:37 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
Duke said:

An lean oxyacetylene mixture should be able to do that, but not without damaging the pipe. And possibly the floors.

Are we talking constructed pipes or completely plugged?

Chlorine trifluoride? :) 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/24/20 5:45 p.m.

I wonder how stuck it is?  If it's filled the whole u bend, it's likely jackhammer time, but if it's less than a whole pipes worth, it may not be stuck too well.  How far down is the trap?  Any hope of moving it with a long punch?

I think you, or the floor guys insurance, if berkeleyed here.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
9/24/20 6:56 p.m.

To be clear this isn't really my problem or responsibility but I'm trying to help out a coworker who's been tasked with finding a solution.

We had two of our labourers working on it today. They had no real success. It appears the traps are completely filled. No water is passing at all. The traps are approximately 3' below the finished floor. It appears we'll be cutting the slab and excavating.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/24/20 7:17 p.m.

Shotgun?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/24/20 7:45 p.m.
Wayslow said:

To be clear this isn't really my problem or responsibility but I'm trying to help out a coworker who's been tasked with finding a solution.

We had two of our labourers working on it today. They had no real success. It appears the traps are completely filled. No water is passing at all. The traps are approximately 3' below the finished floor. It appears we'll be cutting the slab and excavating.

I'd start small, if he knows which way the drain leads I'd cut a channel of 24"x6" (or whatever is adequate for the width) and see if its still clogged there.  From that point you should be able to get a decent sized drill in there and get most of it out

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
9/24/20 7:47 p.m.

Call the epoxy company.  This can't the first time.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
9/24/20 7:52 p.m.

In reply to Scott_H :

The flooring contractor is on site. They had no suggestions.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/24/20 9:07 p.m.

well, I will be following this thread for more amusement.  I do know that Epoxy breaks down under UV,  but how much and how long?

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/25/20 9:40 a.m.

The only chemicals that I know uproot epoxies are petroleum-based (Kerosene, gasoline) and obviously nobody wants that poured down a drain. I'm also unsure what *could* break down an industrial-grade epoxy, not the basic box mart crap.

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
9/25/20 11:35 a.m.
Wayslow said:

In reply to Scott_H :

The flooring contractor is on site. They had no suggestions.

Not the contractor, the company that makes the epoxy material. 

But, I think a concrete saw is in your future.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/25/20 12:24 p.m.

I was wondering if a dry ice approach might crack the epoxy. Concern would be that it if did the clog might just move further downstream.

But seriously, if the entire P trap is full of epoxy, it ain't gonna come out of there.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/25/20 12:36 p.m.

Found this: How NOT to break your epoxy.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/25/20 12:41 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

For those unfamiliar with that substance, this may be the greatest write-up on chlorine triflouride ever.

Sand Won't Save You This Time

It's capable of chemically removing epoxy, PCV, concrete, and sand.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/25/20 12:57 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

For those unfamiliar with that substance, this may be the greatest write-up on chlorine triflouride ever.

Sand Won't Save You This Time

It's capable of chemically removing epoxy, PCV, concrete, and sand.

Oh man, I've read every single entry of his "Things I Won't Work With" section: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/category/things-i-wont-work-with

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
9/28/20 7:52 a.m.

Floor slab is being removed today.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/28/20 8:09 a.m.
Wayslow said:

Floor slab is being removed today.

Sounds like flooring subs aren't getting paid for this one

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/28/20 8:51 a.m.

I've been told muriatic acid will disolve flooring epoxy but I have no first hand knowledge

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/28/20 9:46 a.m.

I'd love to have heard that inital conversation.  

"WTF you mean you poured the epoxy down the drains?"

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/28/20 10:58 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

I'd love to have heard that inital conversation.  

"WTF you mean you poured the epoxy down the drains?"

I'd make sure to have them deduct the volume of epoxy in the drain instead of coating the floor. I bet they were going to charge for the materials, including the gallons they dumped down the drains.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
10/1/20 5:59 a.m.

Just to give this thread some closure.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P5dpnNiOYXbm2UrlVSui1BmVG6AAw42xsZow36NdruPe3ds8V0q6mFv5V4rYQEs3