1 2
Gary
Gary UberDork
4/30/22 7:12 p.m.

Annie and I have a lot of evening snacks. But one I just stumbled back on was buttered Saltine crackers. In the fifties my Mon gave me these after school (among other great things). We were talking to a bar friend at Bill's tonight and he had the same. That's what we're snacking on tonight. What's your favorite?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/30/22 7:29 p.m.

For some reason this reminded me of my grandfather on my mom's side.  When I was little he would treat me to a slice of bread broken up by hand and syrup poured over it.  I never thought of it as a kid because it was good.  As an adult I thought what a strange treat.  As I pondered it more I realized that he had grown up in the Great Depression in a very poor family of 11 kids.  A piece of bread with syrup would have been the best treat ever when he was a kid.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
4/30/22 7:34 p.m.

Graham crackers and peanut butter , .plus if it's cinnamon graham crackers....

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/30/22 7:56 p.m.

I'm old enough to have fond memories of Roger's Golden Syrup on toast.  Or, heavily buttered toast with white sugar and cinamon...or more heavily buttered toast with brown sugar.

It's a shock that I'm overweight...

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/30/22 8:07 p.m.

We had peanut butter on crackers for snacks after school.  

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/30/22 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

My old man used to mix butter & Karo syrup to dunk bread into. I never tried it, but he seemed to really enjoy it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/30/22 9:53 p.m.

I'm enjoying a multi grain distillate over chilled water. 

Whiskey. I'm having whiskey. 

Lobsterpennies
Lobsterpennies Reader
4/30/22 10:07 p.m.

How did I forget about Karo syrup? Light and dark were a pantry staple growing up. Ate plenty of syrup and bread. Also a lot of bread butter cinnamon sugar. Also eggs in a skillet stirred with pinched apart bread. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/30/22 10:11 p.m.

I'm a tortilla chip guy  - Costco is my favorite.  My wife says my belly is too big so she cuts me off.

For 35 years now we have one pan to make popcorn on our stove - always smells and tastes good.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/30/22 11:08 p.m.

I still remember coming home from school just as my mother was pulling freshly baked buns out of the oven...having one of those, still warm with butter melting on it, was the best.

grover
grover Dork
5/1/22 12:24 a.m.

Sounds really odd- but I love those small chocolate rice cakes and I put peanut butter on them. Weird but amazing.  
Also, Tostitos bowl looking chips. The ones in the big bag from Costco are the best.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/1/22 12:29 a.m.

When I was a kid it was Lebanon Balogna and peanut butter.  Sounds odd, but it's SO good.

These days I get the Costco-sized bag of Blue Diamond Almonds to keep around.  Usually either Wasabi Soy, Habanero BBQ, or Smokehouse.  Those things are like crack.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/1/22 10:32 a.m.

We would get cottage cheese with sugar sprinkled on it at my mom's parents house.  I still have it once in a while, but have never run into another person that has tried it.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/1/22 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Meeeee!  I always did that when we ran out of apple butter.

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
5/1/22 11:22 a.m.

Two chocolate chip cookies (PC Decadent) and a glass of chocolate milk for the last 20+ years now. smiley

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/1/22 11:30 a.m.

Ritz crackers, add sliced cheese, run one cycle in the toaster oven. 

Waffle iron grilled cheese is quickly taking up slack though.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/1/22 11:55 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Genius.  That's lunch today.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/1/22 11:59 a.m.

Since im trying to be not fat anymore, my go to has been a few of the peanut butter filled pretzels, you know, the square ones. Helps kick the need for a full bag of tater chips. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/1/22 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Try the almond butter filled ones from Aldi.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/1/22 12:11 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

When I was a kid it was Lebanon Balogna and peanut butter.  Sounds odd, but it's SO good.

These days I get the Costco-sized bag of Blue Diamond Almonds to keep around.  Usually either Wasabi Soy, Habanero BBQ, or Smokehouse.  Those things are like crack.

If you're a fan of a bit of heat, get you some of the Thai chili lime almonds from Trader joes. They will change your life. The cashews are even better, but not quite as good for you. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/1/22 12:20 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Will do. The ones I mentioned are actually from Aldi. It's our go to grocer. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/1/22 3:45 p.m.

Animal crackers and a container of the cake frosting you like best.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/1/22 4:10 p.m.
Aaron_King said:

We would get cottage cheese with sugar sprinkled on it at my mom's parents house.  I still have it once in a while, but have never run into another person that has tried it.

Haven't heard that one before, but honey on cottage cheese is very good.

Another one I just remembered:  an old roommate liked to snack on a bowl of Grape-Nuts and yogurt.  The yogurt would soften up the Grape-Nuts so  you wouldn't break any teeth while eating it.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
5/1/22 5:21 p.m.

I usually try to go with something with some fat and protein, and very little sugar, right before bed. I like triacuits with cream cheese and some kimchi or other fermented topping. I used to have a glass of red wine with that but lately I've been enjoying a cup of Elderberry tea (no caffeine) and just a half a teaspoon of molasses in the tea. The magnesium in the molasses is a great relaxer. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
5/1/22 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

Grandpop would put butter on everything.
Toast and all the normal stuff, but also saltines, fresh chocolate chip cookies still warm from the oven, pretty much anything starch based.

Dad and I both still put butter on our saltines when we have them with chili.  We scoop some of the chili out and eat it on the saltines

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AJGlkUFMzd8iCJ9ynYgf3I6TnLkHvGATMmNXREFV97jhHODyZhHPRMLrO9RxZs4X