6 7 8 9 10
DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/28/08 1:01 p.m.
Josh wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
neon4891 wrote: any one got a solution for down under?
Yep. Down under in 3 pieces - http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=991760
Um, no, you've linked to some sort of truck device on "Junkyard". It must be a Jeep, because in addition to being unable to climb the hill, it spits out a random engine part in the process. *ducks*

Ooops. Wrong link. That was my friend's civic throwing a rod. He was more ammused with the animated version than the real version.

Down under in 3 - http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=961808

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
8/28/08 2:03 p.m.

God damn 2-piece box hidden level...

Finally got the victory.

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1001120

I really wanted to win with this one but I couldn't get it to finish the job.

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=995463

I want to see some more solutions to this one with the payload on the bottom

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
8/28/08 10:39 p.m.
Josh wrote: Damn you for posting this. I just spent the last couple hours trying to get this little fella to work. I'm really close. And hey, apparently there's a limit to the number of pieces you can use. This is actually a problem for me. http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=911230

fixed it, although it doesn't look like a chickendog now, which i guess was part of your goal

Josh
Josh Reader
8/28/08 11:11 p.m.

I have yet to see a functioning, goal-achieving four-legged stairwalker that doesn't "cheat", I.E., have a tail or snout that rolls along the ground to provide stability or additional motive force. So I'd really like to see a link to yours (not doubting, I just want to see how it works).

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Reader
8/29/08 12:33 a.m.
Josh wrote: I spent forever trying to make a conveyor belt work for Four Balls, but finally got it done with a much simpler flinger/ball return device. http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=956025

You mean like this?

Josh
Josh Reader
8/29/08 12:38 a.m.

I got Handling with 5 pieces:

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1027929

But now I just noticed Dilysi Dave has one with 4. I haven't looked at it yet, but I have an idea how it was done.

EDIT: Yup, just as I figured. Take a wheel off mine and tweak, the slower speed probably helps honestly.

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
8/29/08 12:55 a.m.

I have seen an absolutely sick 3 piece green champion handling... check the forums, it's pretty recent

Duke
Duke Dork
8/29/08 12:35 p.m.
CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer New Reader
8/29/08 12:47 p.m.

I tried the conveyeur belt but almost got it across. http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=782302

Sometimes the ball falls down though.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/29/08 3:22 p.m.

I cheated on that one. Hehe. You can bring in the second ball from the right.

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1053262

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
8/29/08 4:37 p.m.

more exploding machines, even better when they succeed. not mine though.

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1055950

EDIT: another one by the same guy, but not exploding

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1055760

geomiata
geomiata Reader
8/31/08 5:43 p.m.

i heart this game

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
9/5/08 3:26 p.m.

SUPER-BUMP (Because I don't just bump threads. I SUPER-BUMP them.)

I'm curious if you guys have made any glitchy or explody contraptions. Any that have sent pieces shooting through others, sent others flying at sub-light speeds into space, or even more that have just stressed so hard that they come apart at the seams.

Bonus points awarded if the machine gets the job done before it fails. Even more bonus points awarded if it doesn't, but instead goes down in a glorious explosion.

Related to this: anybody built anything interesting while sitting board at their computer? Uh, something that doesn't even attempt to get the pink thingey into the box thingey. Maybe a rube goldberg machine?

Duke
Duke Dork
9/6/08 3:33 p.m.

It seems if you make kind of arrowhead-like things by attaching one blue rod from side to side on a wheel, then from top to side to bottom, it wigs the physics out and things fly around like crazy.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
9/6/08 5:06 p.m.

I finaly got passed 4 balls on my own! now time for down under

PHeller
PHeller New Reader
9/6/08 7:46 p.m.

Have you guys seen the ones that launch the block/ball? What I cant figure out is that since the contraption requires connection to the ball/block in order to power the wheels, the only way you can launch the object is by using gravity, which, in some of the examples I've seen, seemed impossible.

dfddfd2
dfddfd2 None
9/6/08 10:41 p.m.

I think some of you guys are exploiting bugs in the Fantastic Contraption code. The way some of your machines just fly apart..........I'm lmao!

Cheers, Dave

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
9/7/08 1:54 p.m.
PHeller wrote: Have you guys seen the ones that launch the block/ball? What I cant figure out is that since the contraption requires connection to the ball/block in order to power the wheels, the only way you can launch the object is by using gravity, which, in some of the examples I've seen, seemed impossible.

Nope, you just build a framework that holds the wheels off the ground and link several powered wheels together to push a solid wooden rod. The basic catapults aren't too hard to make, although some of the more advanced ones can be pretty astounding. Like the guy who solved "Handling" with a catapult.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
9/7/08 3:45 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: SUPER-BUMP (Because I don't just bump threads. I SUPER-BUMP them.) I'm curious if you guys have made any glitchy or explody contraptions. Any that have sent pieces shooting through others, sent others flying at sub-light speeds into space, or even more that have just stressed so hard that they come apart at the seams. Bonus points awarded if the machine gets the job done before it fails. Even more bonus points awarded if it doesn't, but instead goes down in a glorious explosion.

It doesn't explode, but this effort I put into "Down Under" was too spectacular a failure to keep to myself:

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1414066

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
9/7/08 7:13 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
confuZion3 wrote: SUPER-BUMP (Because I don't just bump threads. I SUPER-BUMP them.) I'm curious if you guys have made any glitchy or explody contraptions. Any that have sent pieces shooting through others, sent others flying at sub-light speeds into space, or even more that have just stressed so hard that they come apart at the seams. Bonus points awarded if the machine gets the job done before it fails. Even more bonus points awarded if it doesn't, but instead goes down in a glorious explosion.
It doesn't explode, but this effort I put into "Down Under" was too spectacular a failure to keep to myself: http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1414066

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1422090

fixed it for you

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/7/08 8:40 p.m.

I would like to thank everyone on this thread for giving me yet ANOTHER way to kill time and keep me from doing productive things.

I showed it to my daughter; she is all fired up about it. That's a good thing.

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer New Reader
9/8/08 9:26 a.m.

Yeah i just showed this to my brother inlaw who is a math teacher and other brother inlaw who (thinks he's a computer wiz, but not).

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
9/9/08 8:50 a.m.

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1471010

Explody ferris wheel. No point. Just watch it. I wouldn't ride it.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
9/9/08 7:56 p.m.

OK, I'm late to this game but I'm hooked after 20 minutes. Here's one, inspired by the tumbler (Batmobile).

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1491719

Here's another-ah, force and simplicity, the hallmarks of "get 'er donedness".

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1491957

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Reader
9/10/08 2:23 a.m.

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1501212 Unpossible with many parts.

6 7 8 9 10
Our Preferred Partners
yu4uSTVICOlYle4YZNZGQgFhtryTZf0G7XNbvbMhQVql95g78dxL4q0A3YeX4t9s