1 2 3
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/6/18 2:40 p.m.

Anyone else watch this? 4 lane drag race. 3 "sleepers" and a supercar. Pretty hokey editing, but the cars are super neat. 

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
4/7/18 7:22 a.m.

I watched this last night. Not bad. The guy with the Pinto implied that he could buy junkyard parts and sell online. I wonder if that’s true. 

Also made me think why can’t GRM make a show out of the 2k challenge. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/7/18 7:48 a.m.
rustybugkiller said:

Good idea, just good selections of amateur footage (combined with what's already recorded for live streaming) and some narration could result in a nice little documentary from each year's event.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/7/18 7:53 a.m.

In reply to rustybugkiller :

I'd watch it. 

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
4/7/18 10:46 a.m.

We watched the first episode last night.  It was ok but not enough to get me hooked.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/7/18 11:12 a.m.
rustybugkiller said:

Pretty sure the answer to that is because they are busy making a magazine. 

But my son is a videographer.  Hmmm....

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/7/18 11:55 a.m.
Hungary Bill said:

We watched the first episode last night.  It was ok but not enough to get me hooked.

I wanted to see if they dredged up any other internet legends I was familiar with after the bisimoto van showed up in the first episode. I don't blame you though, the production is pretty bad. Fortunately there's not a lot of forced drama, and seeing folks like sammy maloof was cool. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/7/18 1:21 p.m.

I'd rather see honest, bad production vs forced, manufactured drama anyday. 

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
4/7/18 1:43 p.m.
SVreX said:
rustybugkiller said:

I have no idea how this stuff works but I would think the challenge would have more interest than a single drag race. Would a network like Netflix produce this themselves with GRM input? I’m thinking if a novelist writes a book and production co makes a movie, the writer doesn’t front the money for the production. Again, this is Way out of my knowledge base. Maybe your son can enlighten us/me. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/7/18 5:14 p.m.

I have no experience making a show. At all. But when the Roadkill guys showed up for One Lap they had a camera crew of four, their own van, and probably $100k in cameras. That's all just shooting raw footage. My friend just had Discovery shoot for a show at his rally school and he said the crew was about the same. Opened my eyes to the fact that what we're used to seeing on TV isn't just some dude with a handycam editing in his living room. 

But I do want to see a Challenge show. laugh

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/7/18 6:05 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I have no experience making a show. At all. But when the Roadkill guys showed up for One Lap they had a camera crew of four, their own van, and probably $100k in cameras. That's all just shooting raw footage. My friend just had Discovery shoot for a show at his rally school and he said the crew was about the same. Opened my eyes to the fact that what we're used to seeing on TV isn't just some dude with a handycam editing in his living room. 

But I do want to see a Challenge show. laugh

So, if 4 50k cameras works, surely a couple hundred cellphone cams should be fine. Same price and all. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
4/7/18 7:21 p.m.
rustybugkiller said:

I watched this last night. Not bad. The guy with the Pinto implied that he could buy junkyard parts and sell online. I wonder if that’s true. 

Actually the “pinto guy” does and makes some other handy turbo 2.3 parts.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/8/18 8:32 a.m.
rustybugkiller said:
SVreX said:
rustybugkiller said:

Maybe your son can enlighten us/me. 

His basic response was "Go pitch Discovery".  

Artists...

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
4/8/18 8:35 a.m.
SVreX said:
rustybugkiller said:
SVreX said:
rustybugkiller said:

Maybe your son can enlighten us/me. 

His basic response was "Go pitch Discovery".  

Artists...

That wouldn't do me any good. I don’t have cable! cheeky

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
4/8/18 8:46 a.m.

watched it all last night (230am yay?)

i liked the show.  something different.  broad spectrum of cars.  3 gbodies made me happy.

shame about the datsun and the rx2...probably the universally nicest all arounders on the show

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
4/8/18 12:02 p.m.

Thanks to this post I started watching it today. Not a bad show 

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
4/8/18 3:46 p.m.
malibuguy said:

shame about the datsun and the rx2...probably the universally nicest all arounders on the show

Yeah, after seeing the back story, I feel especially bad for him. Puts his family first and gets one day to get back into it the other guy crunches an original car. 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
4/8/18 8:42 p.m.

Watching episode one now. The Ford GT guy annoys me every time he speaks. I like most of this though. 

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
4/8/18 9:35 p.m.

If you think he’s annoying, wait till episode 4. 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
4/8/18 9:40 p.m.

I'm not sure I'm ready.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/8/18 9:41 p.m.
rustybugkiller said:

If you think he’s annoying, wait till episode 4. 

berkeley that guy. berkeley him so, so much. 

Run_Away
Run_Away HalfDork
4/8/18 10:13 p.m.

Episode 5 was dissapointing. Wish the 3rd gen Camaro had done it right on ep 4, it would have been a real contender. The DSM is awesome too though. Halfway through ep 6 now.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
4/8/18 10:23 p.m.

I just started episode 4. I definitely was not ready. He even stole Charlie Sheen's license plate. 

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
4/8/18 11:28 p.m.
Mndsm said:
Hungary Bill said:

I wanted to see if they dredged up any other internet legends I was familiar with after the bisimoto van showed up in the first episode. I don't blame you though, the production is pretty bad. Fortunately there's not a lot of forced drama, and seeing folks like sammy maloof was cool. 

I'm thinking I might give it another shot, maybe after a couple beers next Friday.  I loved that van and the old dodge.  I'm very happy that a dude like that won the race.  The Ford GT guy was terrible, but I guess you do need an antagonist.  I share Appleseed's sentiments.  Just show what there is to show and don't try to manufacture drama.  It's a car show, not a soap.

If they are going to dig up some more internet legends, I hope they snag Seth before that R63 sells cheeky  (wait, has it sold yet? are we too late?) 

pheller
pheller PowerDork
4/9/18 2:08 a.m.

Fun show. Quite a cast of characters, but how else do you sell it? With boring respectful and generally nice bankers driving supercars? Nah, find an over-the-top divorce attorney!

It is a bit ridiculous that these people are racing side by side with relatively little experience. 

I was pretty disappointed to see that Plasma Boy Racing and John Wyland havent tried to help out rotary tuning legend Abel Ibarra with the repair of his beloved RX2. 

I’d love to see the same format but like timetrial or something.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QFDB9ahU9Bv0NVlxLaKHN1Shd3JnqDWlWJGL7BnktJd0f7O2E4q0mzi7viVMGXNN