3 4 5
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
9/22/14 1:18 p.m.

BTW Angry, are you doing it as light relief from your marathons?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
9/22/14 7:45 p.m.

IDK if i'm running the 5k or the 10k yet. i'm going to try to con my daughter into running the 10k but i'm not sure we'll be able to get our schedules together enough to actually train for it. 10k is a non-trivial distance.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
11/22/15 6:28 p.m.

So, a couple of weeks ago I was in Chicago with a friend, and on the Sunday his daughter ran a 5K. That got me thinking and ruminating. I figure that despite not having run at all in well over a year, any un-fit fat arse can run 5K, let's face it, that's only 3.1 miles and I at least walk much more than that on an average day. So after hemming and hawing I entered the Thanksgiving day 5K down in Detroit.

I tried to talk my wife and daughter into it, and they were at least thinking about walking it (my wife is very fit, but knows too many people who have needed new knees after running so refuses to run, as she literally walks for a living) until I mentioned that we would need to be down in Detroit before 7:00am. At that point that they lost all interest.

So I'm heading down with a friend on my wife's who's going to do the 1 mile walk and I'll do the 5K to earn my turkey dinner.

So Angry or anyone else going down?

The spousal unit and offspring will come down later for the Parade.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
11/22/15 7:01 p.m.

My family voted Lions game over Turkey Trot, so I will be downtown for the parade (4th level northeast corner of the parking garage behind Hockeytown Cafe) and then over to Ford Field. Good luck with the run!

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
11/24/15 11:28 p.m.

I'll be running my now-traditional morning turkey day 5k loop around my neighborhood. There won't be any fireplace smells, as it will be 60 degrees that day, but it'll still be nice to smell the birds in the ovens exhausting out into the neighborhood.

Since the weather got cooler, I've been running a lot more (in addition to being on the bike--been doing some cyclocross). My only issue is new, in that my heels are really getting banged-up despite really cush shoes and gel inserts. This wasn't happening last year.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
3/3/18 2:12 p.m.

Threadsurection!

OK, so it turns out it's been 5 years since I did the 10K Turkey trot in 2013, then I did the 5K in 2014.  2016 saw back surgery and now two years later I feel I'm ready to start running again.

First goal is simple.  There's the 'Stroh's beer Legends run' in Cork town on MAy 19th, that's the weekend prior to the Memorial day weekend.  I've got my youngest daughter who turns 17 this coming week to agree to join me.  So, having been through back surgery and not run for a couple of years, plus my daughter has never run before we actually went to a real running store today, not just a generic shoe store.  Wow, I really should have done that years ago as some people suggested.  MAn, they talked to us, found out our history, issues, watched us walk and squat etc. then chose a selection of shoes for us to try on.  I bought some shoes I've never heard of before, Diadora from ITaly and she got some proper Nike's with an orthotic insole.  I've never put anything on my feet before that felt so natural.

Next step, they have a running workshop there in a week and a half that we've signed up for.  They will video us running, talk to us about how to run correctly, proper strike etc.  So I hope to start this up again properly, not injure myself or aggravate my back etc.

Let's see how it goes this time around.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
3/3/18 7:55 p.m.

Good luck Adrian. Good form will make everything feel good. That's the biggest thing that got me into running longer distances. 

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WgUbv1UFR9MWBiGffT281knjb6MV16kTykNV4IL2IaXYxrP3D7IePZpH95qtX6W8