3 4 5
Duke
Duke SuperDork
10/4/10 2:12 p.m.
NOSLO6 wrote: Haven't seen George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones series (Songs of Fire and Ice) mentioned here. Outstanding fantasy with great politics and Machiavellian diplomacy mixed in.

My wife read all those and liked them a lot. I read one and, basically, every likable character got brutally killed off or maimed in the first book, so I never read the others. It was pretty well written, though.

tjthom
tjthom New Reader
10/4/10 4:17 p.m.

In reply to Salanis:

You mean like the chapter almost completely devoted to the proper way to prep and eat Captain Crunch?

I can't imagine what goes on in his head. I'm just glad he writes some of it down.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg Reader
10/4/10 9:59 p.m.

I'm not a terribly big reader, but I did decide to give The Art of Racing in the Rain a read my sophomore year and it was a damn fine read, in fact I'm having pangs to try and find it and pick it up again. this year, I've read Brave New World, and while the ending was a bit anticlimactic and left way too many plot lines unfinished, overall it was a good read that was hard to put down. it almost seemed like Huxley was going to write a 19th chapter, but then realized there was a really good sandwich shop across the street and submitted chapters 1-18 to his editor/publisher and had himself a nice ham and cheese sandwich

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
10/5/10 12:55 a.m.

Bad as it sounds, still waiting for Inheritance book 4...

At least there is a release date for the next Tom Clancy novel...

nickel_dime
nickel_dime Dork
10/5/10 10:20 a.m.

I just got the 200mph Steamroller.

akamcfly
akamcfly Reader
10/5/10 5:33 p.m.
Luke wrote:
Keith wrote: Neal Stephenson. Every time I want a great read, I go back to Crytonomicon.
I'm going to read that next. 'Snow Crash' and 'Zodiac' were equally brilliant, but I really struggled to get into 'The Diamond Age'.

Just finished Quicksilver last night and I have The Confusion ready to roll in my ebook reader. Pretty hard slog - lots of details...

Before i get to that, I've already started The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest. That's a fun series.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
10/5/10 6:13 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
tjthom wrote: Neal Stephenson Cyptonomicon is amazing, but the Baroque Cycle is out of this world!
I couldn't get through Cryptonomicon; he went off on too many tangents. Got the sense that he had too many "clever" ideas that he felt he couldn't leave out, even though they didn't advance the storyline. I stopped reading when I got to the multi-page passage that was just the excerpt from an inconsequential characters online diary rambling about... I think the topic was perverted sexual fantasies/practices, but it was a couple years back.

I am currently in the middle of cryptonomicon, have been for months, should probably pick it up again one of these days... Its never really "hooked" me like other books have...

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y5u1x7DaM2k4iYdq1jLBbiprMYvlpdwMcatuqF7RvOr27keUTIjUue6QeIr9RDbC