1 2 3
Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
12/26/13 4:32 p.m.

I got a badass bottle of Burbon from someone and I'd love to enjoy it, but I'm not manly enough to drink it straight. Anyone care to share a good burbon cocktail recipe with me that won't kill the taste of this stuff?

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
12/26/13 4:34 p.m.

make it into food like bourbon balls.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/26/13 4:46 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote: I got a badass bottle of Burbon from someone and I'd love to enjoy it, but I'm not manly enough to drink it straight.

Add ice. It's really the only ingredient that won't ruin it.

If you want to make a manly drink with bourbon... and have a sort of proper holiday feel with it then:

Get a glass like this:

Set about making a Manhattan.
- Get good bourbon... Maker's is fine. Put 4oz in a shaker.
- Add in 1oz of sweet dark vermouth (Italian)
- Add in 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
- Stir
- Add ice to the glass
- pour entire contents of shaker in to glass over ice
- Put 1 Maraschino cherry impaled on a stick into the glass (two makes you ghey but if you want you can dribble a little cherry juice into the glass)

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
12/26/13 4:51 p.m.

Depending on how "badass" this bourbon is that you got, you really should learn to enjoy it straight, with a splash of water, or just a little ice. You can use some pretty average bourbon to make a good manhattan.

EDIT: For reference, I'll drink Jim Beam (the regular old white label stuff) with a few cubes of ice and I'm happy. There's people that turn up their nose to that pretty hard, but there's probably folks out there that think I'm living a life of luxury with that drink.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
12/26/13 4:52 p.m.

This is what I got.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
12/26/13 4:52 p.m.

I use rye whiskey to make my Manhattans but bourbon is just fine in them. I don't put cherries in them though. That's about the only mixed drink ill make with whiskey, 90% of the time I drink it straight or if its scotch or Irish whiskey ill put a couple ice cubes in it.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
12/26/13 4:53 p.m.

Oh lord don't mix that. That's a nice bourbon, get to know the power of just a little ice.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
12/26/13 4:53 p.m.

Water - or ice - leave it around the color of iced tea. Keep at it until taste acquired.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/26/13 5:05 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Oh lord don't mix that. That's a nice bourbon, get to know the power of just a little ice.

Plus juan.

That ain't for mixers.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
12/26/13 5:08 p.m.

I know. I tried it the other night and good Gawd. I love the flavor, it's just stout as hell. Maybe some ginger ale or sprite to tone it down a touch?

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
12/26/13 5:09 p.m.

pIn reply to pres589:

Agree, I started my reply before picture was posted.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/26/13 5:12 p.m.

Make my special egg nog. Pour 2oz bourbon into a low ball. Add ice cubes. Drink til happy.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
12/26/13 5:12 p.m.

In reply to Conquest351:

If you want to learn what kind of whiskey-based mixed drinks you enjoy, go buy a bottle of something like Jim Beam or Canadian Club, and leave this in that pretty box alone. Somewhere safe. Somewhere that it won't be molested by Sprite.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/26/13 5:16 p.m.

I do like a good old fashioned occasionally too.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
12/26/13 5:19 p.m.

OK. I'll put it back in the pantry. I'd sure love to drink on it though...

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
12/26/13 5:27 p.m.

Highball glass, add three ice cubes, fill with favorite bourbon.

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
12/26/13 5:57 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Oh lord don't mix that. That's a nice bourbon, get to know the power of just a little ice.

Agreed... Learn to enjoy it for what it is, and don't waste it by mixing it when a lesser bottle would do.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
12/26/13 5:58 p.m.

You might be able to get away with a Mint Julep with that nice bottle. Make some symple syrup using just water and sugar - heat the water first to help the sugar dissolve. You can get fresh mint in any grocery's produce section, including Wal Mart.

Muddle a sprig or two of mint in the botom of a double old fashioned glass, being sure to smear the mint all over the inside of the glass to coat with the mint essence. The back of a spoon will do if you don't have a muddling stick. Fill the glass as full as possible with (preferably crushed) ice. Add three ounces or so of bourbon and a little, maybe 3/4 of an ounce, simple syrup. Garmish with a small sprig of mint. Let the drink chill - the glass may frost over - then enjoy. How sweet you make the syrup is up to you and there are plenty of recipes on teh internets.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
12/26/13 6:29 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Plus juan. That ain't for mixers.

Plus another one. That is some nice bourbon.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
12/26/13 6:38 p.m.

Sippin Whiskey, take a sip,allow your tongue to taste as your saliva dilutes.Swish in your mouth and swallow.Follow with a sip of water if you must.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
12/26/13 6:41 p.m.

old fashioned is my go to. Or you could try the revolver:

2 parts bourbon.
1 part coffee liqueur.
dash of bitters

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
12/26/13 6:51 p.m.

I just recently got into really dirty martinis.I don't care if they aren't pure or mature,I like olives and I like them washed down with either wine or vodka.

Thing is, I cant get a consistent flavor. Nor can I seem to dial in the smoothness with just the right amount of "dirty".

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
12/26/13 7:23 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote: I got a badass bottle of Burbon from someone and I'd love to enjoy it, but I'm not manly enough to drink it straight. Anyone care to share a good burbon cocktail recipe with me that won't kill the taste of this stuff?

My favorite recipe for Knob Creek is this:

Take one glass of water, pour in an amount of bourbon, and drink it.

OTOH, stomach issues meant that for the longest time, I couldn't have anything other than mixed drinks - anything over about 10%ABV would make my stomach not churn, but go numb and stop doing anything. Then it would just sit in there until I hurled. After years of careful training, I can drink straight bourbon and sometimes vodka.

But not rum.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
12/26/13 7:27 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Make my special egg nog. Pour 2oz bourbon into a low ball. Add ice cubes. Drink til happy.

That sounds like Fry's dad's eggnog!

After reading thread further, no don't mix it! I'm not you, but if I were, I'd get some other, cheaper bourbon (I do recommend Knob Creek as it's smooth. Same with Maker's Mark) to train your palette. Don't worry about rushing into things - as others have said, cheap spirits are for mixers, good spirits are for enjoying neat.

Gawd, I sound like the old farts who like Scotch.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
12/26/13 7:35 p.m.

Old farts who savor a fine single malt meticulously.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rThUphPQe0fZaFWzZL9JCjaVzKxXk94BVk1Y84kCGYZQPE4Ck5VRKK056aca012u