1 2 3
gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/14/11 7:29 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I like to listen to Trip-Hop while driving... is this strange?

Not in the least. The wife and I usually have the Sirius Real Jazz on during road trips. IMHO, something pleasant and borderline ambient can be a nice backdrop to a good, long freeway cruise.

That said, something like Sparta--Assemble the Empire lends itself to a heavy foot.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/14/11 9:16 p.m.

My music comes from the tailpipe of a snapping and snarling V8 and I apologize to nobody for it....

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
4/14/11 9:27 p.m.

I've always enjoyed ZZ Top and the Gran Turismo 3 soundtrack.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
4/14/11 9:28 p.m.

"B-Movie Boxcar Blues" Delbert McClinton...or the cover by the Blues Brothers.

"Caught a ride into South Dakota With two girls in a light blue DeSoto One's name was Jane, the other was plain But they both had racing motors Next I caught a ride with a gamblers wife Lay down, she had a brand new Rambler She parked on the other side of town She layed the Rambler down She said she could dig if I'd knew her..."

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Reader
4/14/11 9:45 p.m.

I listen to "Haulass Hyena" before every rallycross run. I turn the stereo off during runs, since the engine note is also my tachometer. I'm too busy looking ahead and dodging cones to bother with the other one.

Click the link.

I was going to put in an obscure car fact, but I'll skip it and post it as a riddle.

Outside of that, I listen to whatever happens to have my fancy at the moment most other times.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
4/14/11 10:06 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: The biggest iPod in the world can't hold enough driving music (at decent quality anyway) for my music tastes. I want to add that the entire Initial D sound track has good music.

Gotta admit..when one of my anime buddies showed me Initial D for the first time, I was actually surprised at how good the thing was (except for Tokyopop's failure in captioning.."70s tires"? I saw that they were 70 series tires, just because of how it was drawn. Stu Levy shoulda had someone to translate the car stuff, as well as the Japanese stuff). I was so tired of failed explanations of our sport & culture that I didn't care if they were "street racers". Hey, it was a work of fiction in the first place, right?

Anyhoo..I still enjoy the "unmixed", edited version of MOVE's opening theme to the first series! Every time I hear it, it gives good memory feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BBTthCY-Q8

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo SuperDork
4/14/11 10:29 p.m.

Ace of Spades
One
Crazy Train
Back in Black
Breaking the Law
Radar Love - has to be on any driving song list by default
. . .

I recently decided to listed to everything on my pod in alphabetical order, I have 4216 items on my pod including some tutorials on beekeeping and photoshop, along with some NPR shows I like; Wait wait don't tell me, Splendid Table, etc. I wanted to see how long I could go before I couldn't stand it and either skipped a song or found a new playlist. I leave my pod in the car so that's the only time I was listening to it, it took about 7 months to listen to all of it.

Now I am listening to the Albums in alphabetical order. Yes, I know there is something wrong with me.

TuffWork
TuffWork Reader
4/14/11 10:56 p.m.

Don't get much fun driving unless you include weaving a trailer full of mowers through traffic. However, one of my favorite riding bands is Bullet For My Valentine.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
4/14/11 11:29 p.m.

-"Turbo Lover" and "Freewheel Burning" by Judas Priest
-"The Distance" by Cake
-"Jerry Was A Race Car Driver" by Primus
-"Blood and Thunder" by Mastodon
-"Black Label" by Lamb of God
-"Jesus Built My Hotrod" by Ministry
-"Destruction Overdrive" by Black Label Society
-Various songs from the Gran Tursimo 2/3/4/5Prologue soundtracks (GT5 is too emo)
-Anything by Daisuke Ishiwatari. He is the composer for the Guilty Gear and BlazBlue fighting game series and makes some berkeleying awesome instrumental rock and metal tracks

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/15/11 6:24 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: In no certain order: - Heaven & Hell, Black Sabbath - Die With Your Boots On, Iron Maiden - King Nothing, Metallica - Hero of the Day, Metallica - The Ledo Shuffle, Boz Scaggs - Whiskey in the Jar, Metallica - Take the Long Way Home, Supertramp - Fire Woman, The Cult - Over the Mountain, Ozzy - Honky Tonk Woman, The Rolling Stones - Midnight Rambler, The Stones - Bron Y Aur Stomp, Led Zeppelin

I forgot...

• Bawitdaba, Kid Rock
  • Cowboy, Kid Rock
  • I am the Bull God, Kid Rock

It could have just been the weather yesterday or getting the 911 out of hibernation or both... but there was some flat six music mixed with Kid Rock causing triple digit speeds enroute to fill the LP bottle for the grill.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
4/15/11 6:49 a.m.

It's true that songs about cars/driving tend to make for the best driving music. I'll add:

'Thunder Express' - The MC5

'Roadrunner' - The Modern Lovers

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
4/15/11 9:17 a.m.

Man O War - Anything

Motorhead - Ace of Spades, Born to Raise Hell

Judas Priest - Turbo Lover, Electric Eye

Metallica - Wherever I May Roam

Sammy Hagar - I Can't Drive 55, Let Sally Drive

Cinderella - Gypsy Road, I'm Comin Home, The Last Mile

I'm sure there's more.

In my T/A the music is just a turbocharged V8 with open exhaust and a super T10 4-speed.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
4/15/11 12:34 p.m.

I have two CDs. One for driving fast and one for cruising around with the windows down.

GrantMLS
GrantMLS New Reader
4/15/11 12:38 p.m.

in my car - well dosn'thave a radio my truck - talk radio - I have become old.. If we are in my wife's car listening to music on the radio - i relize why i don't have a radio in my audi.

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
4/15/11 5:40 p.m.

This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgJA7lPkb1o is guaranteed to ad 20MPH to my speedo.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
4/15/11 5:46 p.m.

errrrrrrrr might be a wtf list but I listen to talk radio on long trip s ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, howard stern for the 4 hrs and maybe some tards on dr laura and when get tired playboy radio
OMG ,,,,,,,,, when that gets old I the hit the metal channel for the last push

friedgreencorrado
4/15/11 8:29 p.m.

Gotta admit..living with my little metalhead has opened some new understanding in my brain. Now that I finally get it, "GIMME FUEL, GIMME FIRE, GIMME THAT WHICH I DESIRE!!" Half the stuff she plays, I don't even know what it is. All I know is that it makes my right foot heavy.

Aside to ECM: Another "Splendid Table" fan here..love it that Lynne calls it a show for people who "love to eat" rather than love to cook.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
4/15/11 8:34 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Wow, no punk/new wave love.

Bllroom Blitz, I wanna be sedated, and basically any Reverend Horton Heat song...there does that count?

Also - Pantera - Walk, Slayer - Expendable Youth, Sepultera - Chaos A.D., Anthrax covering The Smiths - London

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/15/11 8:44 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Gotta admit..living with my little metalhead has opened some new understanding in my brain. Now that I finally get it, "GIMME FUEL, GIMME FIRE, GIMME THAT WHICH I DESIRE!!" Half the stuff she plays, I don't even know what it is. All I know is that it makes my right foot heavy.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Reader
4/15/11 9:49 p.m.

The Beach Boys 50's and 60's Upbeat Oldies ZZ Top

There's more, but I can't think of them

NickF40
NickF40 Dork
4/15/11 9:52 p.m.

anything that's on my Classic lol

"east bound and down" and "salt shaker"...LOL what a combo!!

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
4/16/11 12:55 a.m.

Drove SWMBO's car tonite for hte first time in a month and was able to actually listen to music.

Wire's 1977 album "Pink Flag"

3 girl rhumba into ex-lion tamer makes a GREAT driving combo

friedgreencorrado
4/16/11 1:28 a.m.

In reply to gamby:

Yeah, I'm looking for the "thumbs up" icon for that..

friedgreencorrado
4/16/11 1:32 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: Wow, no punk/new wave love.
Bllroom Blitz, I wanna be sedated, and basically any Reverend Horton Heat song...there does that count?

Yes. Yes, it does. Especially if you're taking out the Galaxie 500 for a lil' excercise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb_juTPQJUc

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
4/16/11 5:55 a.m.

For me, pretty much anything by Pantera
Space Truckin' - Deep Purple
A few Sound Garden tracks, like from the album Bad Motor Finger
Buck Cherry's song Lit up
Grand Funk Railroad's Come Tumblin is one I like to drive to as well
Led Zeppelin - We're gonna groove
a few tracks from Rage Against the Machine like Vietnow, Down Rodeo

If I feel like Kareoke night in my truck, it's songs from the Beach Boys, Beatles, Dave Clark 5, CSN&Y, and Smashing Pumpkins.

And for times when I'm just going through town, songs like Dr. Dre's Let me ride is always a good cruising tune.

That's not all, but it should give you a good idea.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vKEbzr4FJspS2hQsyWwOhv5wlkr8fxc2UyVklVtCxtKKGyc2HMKJC2mUruJtz1co