itsarebuild
itsarebuild HalfDork
5/14/13 8:35 a.m.

So I am in the market for an electric shaver so the GF will be free of my stubble burn. I've never had good luck with electrics and dont know where to start. since the collective seems yo have recomendations on nearly everything, does Anyone have one they like for less than a hundred bucks!

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
5/14/13 9:01 a.m.

I like my Braun Series 5 quite a bit. I've had it more than a year, less than 2. It's more than $100, but I spent perhaps $125 on it at Costco. Looks more or less like this and came with the cleaning/charging stand and a few cleaner refills.

I also use a pre-shave for electric razors, which does seem to let me get the old mug a bit smoother.

Replacement foils are about $35-45, depending on where you buy them. I haven't needed one yet. I haven't really ever shaved daily, because my wife actually likes a little stubble on me.

curtis73
curtis73 UltraDork
5/14/13 9:30 a.m.

I have tried all kinds of electrics. None of them work for me. My facial hair is very coarse. Half of it won't fit in the openings, 45% of it gets yanked instead of cut, and the remaining 5% will actually stall most battery operated shavers.

For me, it has to have blade that scrapes over my skin.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
5/14/13 9:41 a.m.

Get a rotary with multiple cutting "circles". There are at least 3 "circles" on most rotary heads, but the cheaper ones only cut on the outside circle. The more circles that cut the more expensive the razor, but the better the cut. I use Norelco.

The rotaries give less razor burn and cut closer than the buzzers.

But to stop the stubble burn follow up your electric cut with a quickie blade scrape. The 2 together is much better than either alone. It's much more comfortable and less chance of razor burn.

An electric razor will give you razor burn just like a blade as you rub & rub & rub to get the last of the beard off so don't go that far.

Chop it down with the electric and then finish it off with the blade. That way both ways are comfortable and your skin will love you for it. It also helps make both blades last longer, but comfort is the main reason to do it that way.

You also don't need to make as big a production about shaving with the blade and needing special lubricants or anything. Just finish it off in the shower with soap.

Alternatively shave a couple of times a day with just the electric.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
5/14/13 10:24 a.m.

Or just grow a beard.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
5/14/13 11:20 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: I have tried all kinds of electrics. None of them work for me. My facial hair is very coarse. Half of it won't fit in the openings, 45% of it gets yanked instead of cut, and the remaining 5% will actually stall most battery operated shavers. For me, it has to have blade that scrapes over my skin.

+1.

One of the reasons I asked for a Merkur a couple years ago. 10 minutes of time to use the Merkur or 45+ with an electric attempting to do 1/3 of the job.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
5/14/13 12:06 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: I have tried all kinds of electrics. None of them work for me. My facial hair is very coarse. Half of it won't fit in the openings, 45% of it gets yanked instead of cut, and the remaining 5% will actually stall most battery operated shavers. For me, it has to have blade that scrapes over my skin.

+1, unfortunately.

I am thinking about getting one for my head though.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
5/14/13 12:23 p.m.

Don't get a cheap one. And don't use it on your hootus.

t25torx
t25torx New Reader
5/14/13 12:39 p.m.

Save money and grow a beard.. like a man.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
5/14/13 1:28 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Don't get a cheap one. And don't use it on your hootus.

I'm afraid to ask.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
3/31/20 2:24 a.m.

thread has been zombie canoed.

torpedoes have found their mark.  etc

MattGent
MattGent HalfDork
4/12/22 8:48 a.m.

Canoe aside, I prefer the Panasonic foil shavers. They can be used wet, and more often than not I shave in the shower. I find it's a closer shave wet with cream (Nivea gel) than dry. I also like the beard/ sideburn trimmer on the back. 

Replacement foils are 30-50% of the cost of the unit. It shaves way better on a fresh foil. 

I get much less irritation than with a blade. However the process to a clean shave is slower than I'd like. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6UtmaXT0VjxgcYX5lLn0dHALjTbUfeA5EuV6swTpdC8I8DNXFpFM8D3qLxooRZEb