1 2
Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
6/15/13 4:07 p.m.

I have just bought my first rotary car! Its a 1984 gsl-se. It has a newer paint job, but the car could use work here and there mechanically. It has 153,000 miles, and mostly sat for two years before i picked it up. It seems to run well, but might have a miss at idle, however i dont know rotaries well enough to say.

I have changed all the fluids in the car, and was planning on doing spark plugs and a fuel filter as well.

Questions: Should i attempt a de-carbonization as preventative maintenance? What is the best method to use? What are some easy upgrades i can do? Any mods every rx7 should have?

Thanks!

Obligitory pics:

photo null_zps62ea2b8a.jpg  photo null_zpsf178318c.jpg  photo null_zps950421f2.jpg  photo null_zpsad7b60f1-1_zpsd3a6e740.jpg

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
6/15/13 4:44 p.m.

What are those wheels? They don't look like any I have seen on a -SE.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
6/15/13 6:36 p.m.

I'm sorry, is that a Legnum VR4? Why would you think we'd be interested in a 7 when you throw that beauty into a shot?

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
6/15/13 6:59 p.m.

Ah yes that is one of my other cars. Its a 280hp Awd 5speed Beast. Probably the best car i have ever owned.

photo null_zpsab5f8cc7.jpg

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
6/15/13 8:22 p.m.

Ah yes, "280" hp.

Nice job on the FB. Looks to be in good shape.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
6/15/13 8:41 p.m.

Take your FB.

Wind it out to redline in gears 1, 2 and 3. Slow down. Do it again. Wind it out to redline some more. Leave it there for a few minutes. Bounce of fuel cut a bit.

Don't try to lug the engine, redline makes it happy.

Decarbonization done.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Mazda has ended factory parts production for all FB parts now.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
6/15/13 9:20 p.m.

What Brett said, although it might be worth adding some synthetic two stroke oil to the fuel. I'd use something that you can mix at 1:100. A lot of these contain additional detergents to decarbonize ultra-high performance strokers.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/15/13 10:37 p.m.

I don't have your answer, but GREAT lookin car, man!!!

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
6/15/13 11:41 p.m.

Aren't those mustang wheels? They look cool on there.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
6/16/13 7:17 a.m.

Nice score!

Seafoam is another option for decarbonizing the motor; expect it to really fog up your driveway.

I'm guessing they're some sort of aftermarket wheels, but they look period correct for this car.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
6/16/13 8:11 a.m.

114.3 x 4 wheels mean many options are available for wheels on a GSL-SE.

Nice score, are you keeping it stock, mild mods for better street performance or going nuts on it?

What goals do you have for the car?

I am wondering what advice you are seeking.

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
6/16/13 8:46 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Bounce of fuel cut a bit.

GSL-SE don't have fuel cut.

Not that it matters, since a rev limiter is the easiest way to blow up a rotary. They don't take kindly to the load reversals.

Neither do piston engines, for that matter, it just takes a little longer.

My advice is to just drive the damn thing and don't worry about it!

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
6/16/13 9:09 a.m.

As others have said, Love the 7! Diggin' the wagon as well.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
6/16/13 11:46 a.m.

Looks amazing! Like everyone said so far, drive the hell out of it, the more revs the better!

Keep up on the ignition system and plugs and you will have a dead nuts reliable motor.

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
6/16/13 11:55 a.m.

Mo' revs is mo' better!!!

Also, make sure the cooling system is up to snuff.

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
6/16/13 12:08 p.m.

Why more revs? It's got the big engine in it. More revs and light load makes carbon worse. Lug the sucker.

Well, not really "lug" since it's got that intake manifold with the loooong and small-diameter, velocity-inducing runners, and a really conservative ignition timing curve, so it's perfectly happy pulling the load at 2500 or so.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/16/13 6:59 p.m.

I would do a first gen 7 in a heart beat.. and no, I would not mod it (much)

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
6/17/13 3:05 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: 114.3 x 4 wheels mean many options are available for wheels on a GSL-SE. Nice score, are you keeping it stock, mild mods for better street performance or going nuts on it? What goals do you have for the car? I am wondering what advice you are seeking.

I would like to do mild fairly easy mods for better street performance. Whats the hot suspension setup for these? Any easy power adders?

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
6/17/13 3:07 p.m.

Here is a better picture of the wheels

photo null_zps1ba20c5d.jpg

But i am taking them off to swap for these on some 195/60/14

photo null_zps03fc4c0d.jpg

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr HalfDork
6/17/13 3:14 p.m.

A nice engine back exhaust will make a pretty big difference if it still has the big reactor thingy exhaust on it.

Remind me, is an 84 a 13b fuel injected, carbd or a 12a still?

Thanks!

Rob R.

crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
6/17/13 4:04 p.m.

Id hold off on Seafoam but I would do an ashless 2 cycle oil pre-mix and rag it out for about an hour.

And great looking cars!

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
6/17/13 4:17 p.m.

Nice start for rallycross!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/17/13 4:27 p.m.

Nice car! GSL-SE cars were all FI 13B's, the GS and GSL were carbed 12A's.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
6/17/13 6:18 p.m.

Thought I would throw together a useful flow chart for rotary newbies

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/17/13 6:20 p.m.

You forgot 'dump ATF in the intake'.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L52iyCKBDiobXqJcI1Jc0lCMYrFaxdvfJMjSUsjDUVDd5wdCp4Mheq4n23vF5FTD