psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/14/22 3:10 p.m.

I've been hunting for the best price on a new 20v DeWalt trim router.  Stores seem to be about $170, Amazon is $165, multiple sellers on FB have it for ~$120-$130 shipped.  When I look at the profiles, the sellers all seem to be legit - lots of reviews (that seem to not be rote copies of each other), lots of different stuff for sale, and they actually do have profiles that appear to be real people.  The one I'm looking at has a ton of good (but not fantastic) prices on DeWalt tools posted.  All of them say they're NIB, and there are pictures of the new-appearing tool next to a box.

So what's the deal?  Are they selling knockoffs?  Is it just a well-contstructed scam and I won't get anything if I order?  Or are these legit?  Curious if anyone has any direct or secondhand experience.  My only other thought is that they  might be factory seconds.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/14/22 3:51 p.m.

A lot of those guy are watching the Lowes/HD/Walmart clearance pages and reselling tools.

I watch the HotDeals section of GarageJournal and have been able to snag some good tools for personal use.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/14/22 6:50 p.m.

I'm betting they're buying package deals from Home Depot etc and selling  the tools off individually. Probably only making like $20 but it's something. 

obsolete
obsolete HalfDork
1/14/22 9:27 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/14/22 10:58 p.m.

Yeah I always wonder if it's stolen. Why would a regular joe be reselling a new in box tool? Return it if you don't need it, use it if you do.

If you have a company that sells tools, then why are you using your personal FB page to sell?

Same thing for anything else that comes in a box.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/14/22 11:00 p.m.
dculberson said:

I'm betting they're buying package deals from Home Depot etc and selling  the tools off individually. Probably only making like $20 but it's something. 

At least for Ryobi which is the system I have and therefore pay more attention to, the kit tools are the crummy versions of each offering. Ie the individually wrapped drill is a much better tool than the kit drill. I'd be mega pissed if I paid for the individual drill and got the kit one.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/15/22 7:17 a.m.

I've heard of a number of cases where someone paid for one of those deals and then never got the tool.  Like you said, if it's too good to be true...

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/15/22 7:51 a.m.

I have happened to be at the right place/right time like when the home depot guy was putting $49 stickers on the dewalt impact driver and battery set at HD and bought a dozen of them before he could even tag the boxes.  Resold on ebay for $119 each after keeping 1 for me.  Made a lot of $ for not a lot of time.  

i have a feeling my pawn shop in reno selling on ebay new dewalt 1/2" impact was probably shoplifted from HD and then taken to them where they gave out $50 then sold online for $50 under what it cost at the store to make a quick 200% profit

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
1/15/22 7:56 a.m.

Have Wondered the same about people selling HF or Honda generators. 

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/15/22 12:35 p.m.
Patrick said:

I have happened to be at the right place/right time like when the home depot guy was putting $49 stickers on the dewalt impact driver and battery set at HD and bought a dozen of them before he could even tag the boxes.  Resold on ebay for $119 each after keeping 1 for me.  Made a lot of $ for not a lot of time.  

i have a feeling my pawn shop in reno selling on ebay new dewalt 1/2" impact was probably shoplifted from HD and then taken to them where they gave out $50 then sold online for $50 under what it cost at the store to make a quick 200% profit

You also sold a couple on here for $90...because I bought one, and that's how I got on the whole DeWalt battery ecosystem in the first place!  (It's been bombproof).

I found one of the FB sellers nearby that they say I can pick up from directly (but it still seems to be a big reseller). I'm gonna ask them where they get their stuff.  If it appears to be above-board, I'll probably go for it. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/15/22 4:37 p.m.

HD has two types of Milwaukee deals - hackable and unhackable. With the hackable deals, you can return the extra tool for a pro-rated credit. In the second scenario, you can only return the whole order, and they won't let you return an individual tool for the credit. Those are the scenarios where I'll sell a new-in-box tool. I let the buyer open it, and have a spare charged battery to demonstrate that the tool works.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iVe9KkntNCvwFSUW9s7K3VgC42Rh5Q0J8kRZ3WfkZmjelBGATus7IdFfhNUWCTuY