1 2
PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
3/21/13 8:37 a.m.

http://www.laferrari.com/en

To start off, it's awesome. The sky is blue. The moon is white. These are all expected things.

One thing that really got me though was how BAD the intro video is.

To me, a car is not just how that car performs on a track, it's how it feels in its surroundings. The video goes from cool subdued music and still shots to full on high definition WAILING of the engine. You don't get to hear it at 3,000 rpm. You barely to get hear it at idle. In this intro video, you only get to hear the car between 9,000rpm and redline.

You don't get to see it leisurely cruising the Italian countryside. There is no woman in the red dress.

It's a video I'd expect from Chevy for the Corvette, or Camaro, or Mustang, but not really Ferrari.

Maybe Top-Gear will test one and do a better job of illustrating the cars emotion.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
3/21/13 8:45 a.m.

I don't see anything wrong with the video. It actually reminds me of some Audi videos the way it shows some of the new technology.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
3/21/13 9:00 a.m.

Yea, I'm more or less being picky. I can't fault the car in any way, so I'll just nitpick the video.

petegossett
petegossett UberDork
3/21/13 9:06 a.m.

That's the first Ferarri I've liked the looks of since the Enzo.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
3/21/13 9:28 a.m.
petegossett wrote: That's the first Ferarri I've liked the looks of since the Enzo.

Wow... You liked how the Enzo looks?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
3/21/13 9:39 a.m.

Yeah it looks pretty good, I'm just not sure about that inverted boomerang thing in the nose, seems like it was shoehorned into the design. I actually think they should have had two supports going down to the splitter, like an Enzo, which would be a cool throwback.

Otherwise the only thing I don't like about it is all the Apple integration, I don't want any of their toy computers.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
3/21/13 10:20 a.m.

All these years, they --- just ---- keep---- doing---- it.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/21/13 11:35 a.m.

the last good looking Ferrari Supercar was the F40

petegossett
petegossett UberDork
3/21/13 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

Honestly, its the only one I wouldn't kick out of the garage since the F40, but I wouldn't really say I like it.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
3/21/13 12:15 p.m.

Seems like the rear inlet would be sucking directly on whatever hot crap is extracted by the front ones. Regardless, its stunning.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
3/21/13 12:18 p.m.

Hard to believe that anyone considers it ugly. Not one's cup of tea? Understandable. But unattractive? It reminds me of people who dislike pizza; I'm not convinced that it's possible.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
3/21/13 12:21 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Seems like the rear inlet would be sucking directly on whatever hot crap is extracted by the front ones.

Yep it's a tough problem to get around on any design where there are exhaust vents for the front wheel wells and inlets ahead of the rear wheels, although it looks like they're really not trying on this design. The heat will dissipate a good bit between the two but I imagine they're going to be washing brake dust out of whatever's open to that vent.

ransom
ransom UltraDork
3/21/13 12:28 p.m.

I'm just baffled by the name... I must be missing something.

Enyar
Enyar Reader
3/21/13 12:34 p.m.
Mitchell wrote: Hard to believe that anyone considers it ugly. Not one's cup of tea? Understandable. But unattractive? It reminds me of people who dislike pizza; I'm not convinced that it's possible.

Agreed, I love it, except the name. If only I could get the darn sound to work on this computer.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
3/21/13 12:35 p.m.
ransom wrote: I'm just baffled by the name... I must be missing something.

Sounds like they are saying, "This is the one."

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
3/21/13 12:43 p.m.
Mitchell wrote: Hard to believe that anyone considers it ugly. Not one's cup of tea? Understandable. But unattractive? It reminds me of people who dislike pizza; I'm not convinced that it's possible.

To me it looks awesome from about the headlights back. That elongated twin-level beak is hideous though. Throw a 360-style grille treatment on there and it would be beautiful.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/21/13 12:45 p.m.

I still think the last great looking Ferrari was the 288 GTO or 328.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
3/21/13 1:18 p.m.

Whoa do you know what I just noticed? This is a car that has had a list-minute rhinoplasty.

It was originally going to have a nose sort of like a Tesla Roadster, and then they grafted on a pointy beak at the last minute. Can anybody else see it?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
3/21/13 1:32 p.m.

I didn't buy an F40 or an F50 or an Enzo, and I am not buying one of these.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/21/13 2:04 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: the last good looking Ferrari Supercar was the F40

Plus eleventy billion. When it doesn't include a radio and there's no way Paris Hilton could drive it, that's my ideal supercar.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
3/21/13 2:11 p.m.

Looks-wise I like the F40, the F50 embodies everything that was wrong with '90s car styling, the Enzo just looks OK and I think this one's pretty good...but there is something special and appealing about how unkind the F40 is to celebrities who just want a boulevard cruiser.

It says "this is not for transporting you up and down Rodeo Drive you plastic-faced airhead! Oh you really want to drive me on the street? OK fine, let the suffering begin! I think I'll have a turbo overheat now, that should make you look really cool and trendy!"

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/21/13 3:05 p.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to Maroon92: Honestly, its the only one I wouldn't kick out of the garage since the F40, but I wouldn't really say I *like* it.

Wait, you'd kick every Ferrari since the F40 out of your garage?

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
3/21/13 4:06 p.m.

I consider it too conservative for Ferrari's flagship megacar. It's pretty, but you could have told me that this was the 458's replacement and I'd say "nice". That's what it looks like.'

The technology is awesome--no doubt. I just don't see it as an inspired-enough design.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/21/13 4:07 p.m.

Although I love the look of the 458 Italia, and this new creation is pretty wild, I can't get all that excited about any new Ferrari.

Once they abandoned the gated shifter and went to two pedals I lost interest.

That and I'll never be able to afford even an oil change on one of these----

I'll take a carbed 308 please.....in black, or maybe Navy blue. Then I'll wear Hawaiian shirts, have a buddy that owns a nightclub and get to fly around in my other pal's chopper!

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
3/21/13 4:11 p.m.

Having driven an F430 in race mode in moderate aggression, I can say that the paddles are pretty damn exhilarating when contained in that screaming, shrieking, warp factor 9 can of rape.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
Lot6WMCcMnLWHRd4dSjupvytVCD9LENoysK5PeFrcmhrTuI7A6HR40zMBFSNojbn