3 4 5 6 7
Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/11/20 2:26 a.m.

Finally caught up on The Mandolorian, last 2 episodes we're exponentially better

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/11/20 9:30 a.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I suppose if Mr. Lucas' writing and directing can make Natalie Portman look bad, I can allow that Hayden may have acting talent. I've not seen any indication of it, but I guess we'll see. 

I have to disagree. I think hayden played a spoiled, talented angsty teen quite well. While I did not like the character, I think his portrayal was great. Cocky, whiny and never patient enough to work things out. 

Then again, I have no problem with Jar-Jar or any of the prequels.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
12/11/20 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Really?

If Boba Fett was such a badass that he could take on all those stormtroopers by himself, why didn't he just take his armour back from the town marshal / used car salesman a few episodes back?

It feels like they're making it up as they go along.

It's like oh, we need a character. We killed this one a while ago but we can bring her back now because the force / wizards / boba fett. 

The stormtroopers normally can't hit the broad side of a barn but when Mando shows up in his gear, every shot lands on target.  He needs to ditch that magnetic armour.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/11/20 9:36 a.m.
pheller said:

The Mandolorian has saved Star Wars. Episodic story telling suits its universe much better. Rebels, Clone Wars, etc. All so much better than the "core" movies. Even Solo and Rogue One were far better.

One of the things that frustrated me was that the Skywalker Saga was just that, Anakin, Luke, Leia. It wasn't, nor did it need to be about Palpatine, but that's what it became. We literally got "The Palpatine Saga". 

Now, maybe thats what they are aiming for, because having a bad guy that lasts for a century requires a few generations of good guys to end his reign.

is there anyway to watch the mandalorian without disney+?

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
12/11/20 9:51 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Nope. It is a Disney creation. I mean, there is probably somewhere to pirate it but much less effort to just pay the mouse. They may even be running a free month trial... wait till season two is finished and sign up with a dummy email. Or drive out to Utah and you can use my tv/account. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
12/11/20 9:54 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

I disagree. Fett was always a badass, but Lucas tried to off the character unceremoniously so he could concentrate more on his Ewoks. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/11/20 9:57 a.m.
bobzilla said:
pheller said:

The Mandolorian has saved Star Wars. Episodic story telling suits its universe much better. Rebels, Clone Wars, etc. All so much better than the "core" movies. Even Solo and Rogue One were far better.

One of the things that frustrated me was that the Skywalker Saga was just that, Anakin, Luke, Leia. It wasn't, nor did it need to be about Palpatine, but that's what it became. We literally got "The Palpatine Saga". 

Now, maybe thats what they are aiming for, because having a bad guy that lasts for a century requires a few generations of good guys to end his reign.

Ask around, find a friend or family member that has it and ask for the login in trade for a case of beer. I'd give you mine, but I use my buddies login already.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/11/20 9:59 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Nope. It is a Disney creation. I mean, there is probably somewhere to pirate it but much less effort to just pay the mouse. They may even be running a free month trial... wait till season two is finished and sign up with a dummy email. Or drive out to Utah and you can use my tv/account. 

wife refuses to pay for TV. so we won't be paying the mouse or anyone else. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/11/20 10:07 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

[...], and still pissed at the lame ass Han stepping on Jabba's tail too.  JAbba would absolutely have had Han blasted for that.  [...]

That scene was filmed back in the day with some guy standing and walking around with Han. Maybe they didnt know Jabba would turn into a giant slug at that point, but they had the footage of Han walking around the guys back. It bugs me every time I see that odd jump in Hans gate. [Condescending movie nerd] Its soooo C.G. [/Condescending movie nerd]

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
12/11/20 10:14 a.m.
bobzilla said:

We got it through my Mother In Law.  She got it through some bonus Verizon gave her for being a customer.  You might be able to find some way to get it without paying the Mouse directly

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
12/11/20 10:50 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Never said he wasn't, just wondering why he could beat a unit of stormtroopers by himself but couldn't get his stuff back himself from one self-appointed hick sheriff.

The character they magically brought back was the imperial sharpshooter from a few episodes back. She was shot and left to die in the desert and now she's back as a cyborg thanks to Boba Fett. There's no more explanation than that.

Tattooine is the most survivable desert anywhere apparently.

12/11/20 12:04 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Really?

If Boba Fett was such a badass that he could take on all those stormtroopers by himself, why didn't he just take his armour back from the town marshal / used car salesman a few episodes back?

It feels like they're making it up as they go along.

It's like oh, we need a character. We killed this one a while ago but we can bring her back now because the force / wizards / boba fett. 

The stormtroopers normally can't hit the broad side of a barn but when Mando shows up in his gear, every shot lands on target.  He needs to ditch that magnetic armour.

All valid points, but "better" is a sliding scale. I admit I'm not exactly head over heels for The Mandolorian, it's not bad but I wouldn't say I love it.

The last 2 episodes were better than any other episodes

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/11/20 12:44 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I have to disagree. I think hayden played a spoiled, talented angsty teen quite well. While I did not like the character, I think his portrayal was great. Cocky, whiny and never patient enough to work things out. 

I think you are correct.  He did a good job of portraying an unlikable character (at least to me and many others).  A similar thing could be said of Natalie Portman.  Apparently (I am no expert) they way she talked (I think the most irritating thing about the character) was supposed to be how the character talked (very flat and unemotional), but it did come off as very bad acting.

Then again, I have no problem with Jar-Jar or any of the prequels.

You sir, have issues you really need to work out with yourself!!!   cheeky

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/11/20 12:49 p.m.

Oh, I wanted to give a tip for Sci-Fi fans:  If you like The Mandolorian and it's western style, you should check out Serenity if you don't know about it.  Not the StarWars universe, but very much in the western style of Sci-Fi and some very good characters (which is important).

barefootskater (Shaun)
12/11/20 12:54 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Isn't that the movie follow-up to the firefly series? I tried firefly and couldn't get into it. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/11/20 12:58 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Isn't that the movie follow-up to the firefly series? I tried firefly and couldn't get into it. 

Yes, it is.  Firefly got canceled and the fans were in tears because there was another season planned and there were a lot of loose ends.  Whedon rustled up enough money to basically condense the unmade season into a movie (Serenity), and give them some closure.

I never watched it in first run but I became quite a fan of Firefly after trying it much later.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/11/20 1:05 p.m.

Sorry, yes, Firefly is the series, Serenity is the movie.   The movie is very well done also.  The government guy (with the sword) is a particularly interesting character.  

One of my favorite lines from the show:  "Me tolerating you, is quickly coming to a middle"

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
12/11/20 1:15 p.m.
ShawnG said:

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Never said he wasn't, just wondering why he could beat a unit of stormtroopers by himself but couldn't get his stuff back himself from one self-appointed hick sheriff.

The character they magically brought back was the imperial sharpshooter from a few episodes back. She was shot and left to die in the desert and now she's back as a cyborg thanks to Boba Fett. There's no more explanation than that.

Tattooine is the most survivable desert anywhere apparently.

They did show a shadowy figure showing up to help her after she was left for dead.  That plus the follow up in the recent episode is kind of all the explanation you need, right?

barefootskater (Shaun)
12/11/20 1:20 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I'll have to try it again. I know it had a rather dedicated fan base. 

12/11/20 1:25 p.m.

Firefly is massively better than The Mandolorian.

barefootskater (Shaun)
12/11/20 1:49 p.m.

Finally, someone came here to FIGHT!

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
12/11/20 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Forgot about the shadowy figure at the end. Makes more sense now.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/11/20 2:02 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Firefly is massively better than The Mandolorian.

Ohhhh

Well, the Mandolorian clearly has the advantage in effects, although the movie (Serenity) was quite good in that department.

I would say the characters in Firefly are more interesting though. Firefly does not have as much of a canon (backstory) as SW or course.  Firefly is a bit more "gritty" (blood / death etc) even though it was a TV show.  Serenity is VERY "gritty" (being a movie)

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
12/11/20 2:22 p.m.

The sad thing about big corporations like Disney and CBS is that they are going to continue to remake Star Wars and Star Trek ad infinitum instead of taking a chance on new science fiction concepts like the Firefly/Serenity universe. Playing to an established fan base is the safe choice. 

I really like The Mandolorian but the last three movies in the series not so much, and they really have done Star Trek to death. How many different Spocks do we really need? 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/11/20 2:27 p.m.

firefly was silly to the edge of stupid. Serenity was much better IMO. Serenity is what got me to watch Firefly but I preferred the movie over the series.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YUeBewhsgvE6VaHgDhfgXM35YamhdBpkfsoHuADyujXvMZX2TucAXLBe07YE6Mzl