Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/18/21 2:41 p.m.

I have become addicted to crossword puzzles. This is only a problem because I get hyperfocused.....

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/18/21 3:03 p.m.

It took me six separate trips, 20 miles each way, to Bass Pro Shop to get a background check done as the queue was always 2-6 hours.  Finally managed it by being there at 9:00am when they opened.  Yeah for first world working conditions where I can come and go as I like.  

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/18/21 4:14 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

I have become addicted to crossword puzzles. This is only a problem because I get hyperfocused.....

#7 Down is "Yule"

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/19/21 7:37 p.m.

We're going camping this weekend. I do not want to go camping this weekend.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/20/21 7:12 p.m.
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) said:

We're going camping this weekend. I do not want to go camping this weekend.

Ok so I was wrong about this. We rented a yurt in a state park in Napa, currently tasting wine in our campsite. A+ do recommend.

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
3/24/21 4:54 p.m.

I owe more taxes this year than I ever have before, because I sold a bunch of stock (company I work for benefited from the pandemic). 

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
3/24/21 5:25 p.m.
LifeIsStout said:

I owe more taxes this year than I ever have before, because I sold a bunch of stock (company I work for benefited from the pandemic). 

In the beginning of my career I hung out with a bunch of guys from work one of whom was the recruiter/head hunter. He came from money. His dad was a state senator or something. He went to a big Ivy League school, etc. He brought up the fact that he was going to owe $XX,XXX in taxes this year and how terrible it was. I politely told him that was roughly double was I MADE last year and asked if he'd like to trade salaries. Needless to say he didn't.  ;^)

 

He's a CTO at a huge nationally known company now. I make a lot more money but I'm sure it's still less than he pays in taxes.

 

It truly is a good problem to have.

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
3/30/21 11:00 a.m.

Just found out that Monster Garage has been rebooted. I'm sure it's a reality show dumpster fire, but I would at least watch a little for some childhood nostalgia... Except it's only on Discovery plus or whatever they call their paid streaming service. Why then does Discovery own MotorTrend On Demand if they're not going to put their automotive content on it?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/4/21 9:59 p.m.

My senior in high school looked up her class rank and she's at the 14.6% spot.  All her top 10% friends were all surprised she wasn't in the top 10% of her class so she was bummed.  

The schools don't post your class rank to be so PC but the counselor will tell you where you stand.  

I told her in college I was part of the "C's get degrees"group.  You'll make it. 

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
5/4/21 10:20 p.m.

In reply to newrider3 :

I can hear the theme song now. 

"MONSTER, MONSTER GARAGE! MONSTER, MONSTER GARAGE!" 

That is actually bollocks that even though Discovery owns MotorTrend On Demand, they don't put auto content on there. I believe it's because MToD has been out for a while, and Discovery Plus is new, so they're trying to get more people on Discovery Plus, and potentially get subscribers to MToD to Discovery Plus.

Hey there's something to rant about, why the berkeley are there so many streaming services??? The original intent was to cut the cord, but now it seems way cheaper to just pay for cable instead of all these different streaming services. Easier to keep track of, too.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/5/21 10:08 a.m.

I stopped to pick up a couple new ties and the shop I like is closed and only selling online.  

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/5/21 10:50 a.m.

Double FWP today.  First I hear from my wife that Whole Foods can't deliver our groceries until 7:00pm with things I was hoping for for dinner tonight.  Then I brought her car to work to swap brake pads at lunch time and I find out that the hoist is in use with a test vehicle so I'll have to do it in the driveway at home.  It's a tough world lads and lassies!!

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/18/21 1:25 a.m.

We just booked our trip.

 

To Hawaii.

 

For five people.

 

My Visa card just cried a little.  One challenge car per person. cool

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/18/21 5:30 a.m.

I'm not ready to deal with traffic again 

 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/18/21 6:48 a.m.
hunter47 said:

In reply to newrider3 :

Hey there's something to rant about, why the berkeley are there so many streaming services??? The original intent was to cut the cord, but now it seems way cheaper to just pay for cable instead of all these different streaming services. Easier to keep track of, too.

I've said it before - I refuse to pay for more than 1 streaming service on top of my cable package. So you can either get a little of my money through the cable, or you can get none of it. Figure it out.

 

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
5/18/21 7:47 a.m.
hunter47 said:

Hey there's something to rant about, why the berkeley are there so many streaming services??? The original intent was to cut the cord, but now it seems way cheaper to just pay for cable instead of all these different streaming services. Easier to keep track of, too.

If networks make it simple and easy to follow the rules, people tend to do so.  If they make it impossible and irritating, well, don't be surprised when people find other options.  

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/18/21 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Flynlow (FS) :

It's the industries own fault. They just refuse to accept that the internet connects the entire world instantly, and are still trying to milk their regional exclusivity for all it's worth based on their antiquated and frankly draconian copyright laws. 

Of course with the quality of everything sinking faster than a lead balloon, it's hard finding things to watch worth the 5 minutes they take to download.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/18/21 9:14 a.m.

Each service seems to have a single show I want it for. Prime has Grand Tour - and that isn't enough to make me subscribe, though I have the subscription just becasue I have Prime. Netflix has The Crown and Stranger Things. Neither combined are enough to get me to pay for it - I just use my parents login. Dad keeps saying he won't renew, and if he doesn't, then I guess I don't get to find out what happens in Hawkins. Disney has the Star Wars things going. That is pretty huge. But not enough to make me go with it. 

 

I don't see myself without at least one of them, because I like having something to watch and I don't even have OTA TV otherwise, but I'm a fickle user for sure and it'll be the cheapest option. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/18/21 9:24 a.m.

I just bought an e-bike.  If I had trusted myself three years ago and bought the bike I wanted from a newly-formed company, I would have been able to buy it for $800.  But, typical me... I didn't trust that a wet-behind-the-ears company would know how to make a good e-bike.  Fast forward to today, it is one of the highest-rated e-bike companies, and the current version of that bike is $1800 and sold out.

First world problem... I didn't purchase when the market was favorable and now I paid more than twice as much for a bike that won't even ship until June.

https://kapwi.ng/c/JziSfrF9

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/25/21 11:39 a.m.

Needing to understand and researching capitol gains tax law is my first world problem of the day.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
5/25/21 11:46 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Flynlow (FS) :

It's the industries own fault. They just refuse to accept that the internet connects the entire world instantly, and are still trying to milk their regional exclusivity for all it's worth based on their antiquated and frankly draconian copyright laws. 

Of course with the quality of everything sinking faster than a lead balloon, it's hard finding things to watch worth the 5 minutes they take to download.

I've been ranting about this for years and get shot down every time I do

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/9/21 11:05 a.m.

My lifelong fear ALMOST came true yesterday.  Even as a kid mowing other people's lawns I was always afraid of the mower blade breaking off and and helicoptering through my ankles.

We went away for the weekend so the lawn was tall and thick upon return, so I removed the chute cover for mulching and cut it down.  I left hay rows all over.  Yesterday SWMBO got tired of looking at them so she ran over them with the mower.  I got home, she says the mower is making a noise.

I got it out and pulled the cord, sounded just like a crank bearing slap.   Rats.  I flipped it up to wiggle the shaft and the blade was about 3 turns loose!   Holy carp!

Tightened the heck out of it, fear gone.

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
6/9/21 11:32 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

My senior in high school looked up her class rank and she's at the 14.6% spot.  All her top 10% friends were all surprised she wasn't in the top 10% of her class so she was bummed.  

The schools don't post your class rank to be so PC but the counselor will tell you where you stand.  

I told her in college I was part of the "C's get degrees"group.  You'll make it. 

If my high school had a "Sweat Hogs' category I would have been in it.  My college counselor told me I would never get an engineering degree going by my high school record.   Well guess what? I have an Engineering Degree and I passed the Professional Engineering License test - so people who worry about grades are worrying about the wrong thing.  They need to just decide to buckle down and study for what they want. 

My favorite quote, the one that that got me through engineering school, was from Little Orphan Annie:

"If you keep the destination firmly in mind, and  the desire to get there is great enough, you can usually get to where you want to go." Daddy Warbucks .

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
6/9/21 12:22 p.m.
jharry3 said:
Datsun310Guy said:

My senior in high school looked up her class rank and she's at the 14.6% spot.  All her top 10% friends were all surprised she wasn't in the top 10% of her class so she was bummed.  

The schools don't post your class rank to be so PC but the counselor will tell you where you stand.  

I told her in college I was part of the "C's get degrees"group.  You'll make it. 

If my high school had a "Sweat Hogs' category I would have been in it.  My college counselor told me I would never get an engineering degree going by my high school record.   Well guess what? I have an Engineering Degree and I passed the Professional Engineering License test - so people who worry about grades are worrying about the wrong thing.  They need to just decide to buckle down and study for what they want. 

My favorite quote, the one that that got me through engineering school, was from Little Orphan Annie:

"If you keep the destination firmly in mind, and  the desire to get there is great enough, you can usually get to where you want to go." Daddy Warbucks .

I had mediocre grades in middle school and high school. I went into the USAF because I thought there was NO berkeleying Way I would make it though college. A lot of that was due to familial stress though. After I got out of the military I got an AS from a technical school as the quickest possible way to get the berkeley out of my parent's house again. I was offered and accepted an engineering management promotion at work a couple months. That isn't public yet but I've already gotten a bit of satisfaction knowing that one of the people I'll be managing has a degree from UC Berkley.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/9/21 12:54 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:

We just booked our trip.

 

To Hawaii.

 

For five people.

 

My Visa card just cried a little.  One challenge car per person. cool

Yeah.  BTDT.  Wife just started a new job and won't have vacation for a year, so no big vacations this year.  Hopefully I can use that time to heal the wounds of our cards.

BTW, know anyone that might want to rent our timeshares in Maui in December?  :)  

Our Preferred Partners
bubThbIGQwuJSSfPrjHjrTTebnijtwEJLqfhD8eWQdxZ1wsEiNEe9jaYO6v4QnEV