Cummings
Cummings New Reader
6/19/19 6:32 a.m.

Hello everybody. I have a quick question. I was reading up on [Canoe Farming] and my fishing rod broke down and I am building a new one. I would like to know what reel should I set up? Hopefully, there are some fishermen out there. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
6/19/19 8:22 a.m.

It's really a matter of personal preference, target species, and the location from which you will be fishing.  For instance, if I'm fishing from my canoe, I would likely choose a spincast reel.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/19/19 8:38 a.m.

2nd post.. joined recently,.... smells canoey

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/19/19 8:42 a.m.

Funny, I just spent the last week fishing out of a canoe...

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
6/19/19 8:48 a.m.
mtn said:

And I'm heading out for the weekend starting tomorrow!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/19/19 8:57 a.m.
Robbie said:
mtn said:

And I'm heading out for the weekend starting tomorrow!

Nice! Bass were on their beds, hitting like crazy. Bigger lakes they were deeper than expected. I had a TON of success with a purple spinner bait and every color of Big-O that I tried; for the deeper water I was doing well with a Flicker Minnow size 9. 

Unfortunately, the walleye bite was proving tough, but some of that was due to the wind that we had to deal with meant that we couldn't really hold the canoe where we wanted.

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
6/19/19 9:35 a.m.

In all honesty, I do fish from a canoe and use the cheapest spincast that feels nice.  Because, being in a canoe, there is a high risk of bashing it on the side or dropping it in the water.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/19/19 10:50 a.m.
(not) WilD (Matt) said:

In all honesty, I do fish from a canoe and use the cheapest spincast that feels nice.  Because, being in a canoe, there is a high risk of bashing it on the side or dropping it in the water.

I fish with my good stuff. Cheap stuff makes me frustrated. In a canoe, I'll carry a Pflueger Trion combo and a Daiwa Fuego baitcaster with a Berkley Cherrwood rod (which is actually very inexpensive). I wasn't thinking this trip and grabbed my 7' Poles, should have used some 6 or 6'6", just for space.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
6/19/19 11:36 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Noted! We're generally not very good at fishing, so I will see what we come up with.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/19/19 11:45 a.m.

You're staying in MN, right? If so, live bait! We're not allowed to use that in Quetico, but in the BWCA I'd be using it almost exclusively. 

That said, I'd still have a tackle box with about 5 Big-O's, 3-5 spinner baits, way more Rapalas than is reasonable, same with Flicker Minnows (especially if you're fishing deep water), a few topwater baits (I like Pop-R's),  and, if you're weird and like catching Northerns, spoons. If you want to go for Lake Trout, try some Little Cleos or whatever dives deep. 

Know where to look for the fish. Find structure, drop offs, reefs, and flats. Tree down in the water? There will be a bass there.  Underneath pines is a good spot. Look in protected coves for bass. Running water is good--try the mouths of streams--especially as it gets warmer.

If you want to borrow a tackle box, I can set you up. Just let me know.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
6/19/19 7:05 p.m.

Penn or pflueger spinning reels are my favorite reels. I have them in sizes from ultralight to big game saltwater. I also like the old Mitchell spinning reels. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/19/19 7:11 p.m.
pilotbraden said:

Penn or pflueger spinning reels are my favorite reels. I have them in sizes from ultralight to big game saltwater. I also like the old Mitchell spinning reels. 

Haha, my uncle who was in the same canoe as me was using a 50 year old Mitchell. Performed as well as my.... Pfleuger. 

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
6/20/19 8:53 a.m.

I just switched my favorite from Shimano to Pfluger.  Shimano is still great stuff, but they haven't really improved as quickly as others have innovated.

I love Penn and Diawa, but I'm a cheapskate.

failboat
failboat UberDork
6/20/19 9:06 a.m.

Guys you got it all wrong, this guy was asking about Phishing reels. 

Ill see myself out. 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
6/20/19 9:48 a.m.

In reply to Curtis :

I have a penn rod and reel combo I picked up earlier this month for 15 bucks at goodwill. A long beach 3360c. Shame it was the only rod there that wasn't broken.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
6/20/19 10:46 a.m.

Years ago I bought a B&B Binns Brothers fishing rod at a sport show.  It is bloody fantastic.  It's a 5'8" medium light spinning rod and I have a Pfluger reel on it.  It is a jigging walleye killer.  I love that rod.  Sadly, I can't find any information on the company anymore or I would buy more.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
6/20/19 11:12 a.m.
Curtis said:

Years ago I bought a B&B Binns Brothers fishing rod at a sport show.  It is bloody fantastic.  It's a 5'8" medium light spinning rod and I have a Pfluger reel on it.  It is a jigging walleye killer.  I love that rod.  Sadly, I can't find any information on the company anymore or I would buy more.

Interesting.  Being an avid googler, I googled.

https://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threads/binns-bros-rod-co.301653/

I suspect they are no longer in business, but who knows?

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
6/20/19 12:00 p.m.

My "creek rod" is a 5' ultra light no-name thing that was probably the cheapest combo I could find at Walmart when I bought it 5-6 years ago. While no one would ever mistake it for a high dollar setup, it's been a perfectly functional and reliable rig. If/when it ever breaks, maybe I'll upgrade to something nicer now that I have been fishing a lot more the past few years, but I feel no burning desire to do anything about it until then.

Last year I did actually decide to spend some decent money on a Penn Fierce reel for my surf rod and that was definitely worthwhile. Cheap reels just don't seem to function right beyond the first day in surf conditions.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
7/23/19 5:38 p.m.

I almost miss my canoe. It was a real beater but I got it for free and traded it for a SOG Seal Pup, after putting a hole in it. 

My rod and reel is a cheap Walmart combo from 20 years ago. It’s always worked well on my parent’s pond stocked with large mouth, sunnies, and cats. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TLwgociPyVMIdnGelW8cvwfL0VtJLoJ5HsPPbkuu6H9nB5aAASo9818XyhiDHLku