Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
4/18/12 9:27 p.m.

About 10 years ago, a sales rep gave me a 2-ton Lincoln floor jack. This one is made in USA, and if you haven't shopped for floor jacks lately, not many are made in USA. The equivalent, new version is Hein Warner, part HW93642, for sale at Northern Tool for $389 plus truck freight.

Anyway, this jack leaks all its oil out in a day or two, so I took it to VAMACO in Indianapolis to be repaired. It will cost me $167 to have it rebuilt. I hemmed and hawwed because I've got two NAPA Balkamp 3-ton quick lift (made in China by Omega) jacks that are great.

Would you have paid $167 to have this jack rebuilt?

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
4/18/12 9:33 p.m.

Yes I would.

jimbbski
jimbbski Reader
4/18/12 9:46 p.m.
MG Bryan wrote: Yes I would.

I second the motion!

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
4/18/12 9:50 p.m.

There's a guy named "Hiball" at the Garage Journal who rebuilds jacks. I think he sells parts or will even do the work for you if required. Here's one of his tutorials:

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51105

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
4/18/12 9:53 p.m.

Me too. I spend ridiculous amounts of money (at least in comparison to the chinese stuff) for professional grade equipment.

This:

is a Lincoln suction gun. It costs a certain amount of money. It also creates suction when you pull the handle, and pressure when you push it- unlike the chinese copies that will suck up nothing, then blow it down your arm when you push. There is no tool more expensive than the one you throw away when you have to replace it with one that works.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
4/18/12 10:00 p.m.

When did you move to avon? We must hang out!

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
4/19/12 7:16 a.m.

I'm spending the dough. Now I'll have three floor jacks, but that's a tool that you can never have enough of (aren't they all?).

92Celica, I just moved back to Indy from Michigan. My Miata is still in storage for a few more weeks, and a new baby (human, not auto,) is preventing me from going HPDEing. I may autocross with CSCC some this summer if I get new tires. if you need help with something car related, let me know.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
4/19/12 7:25 a.m.

In reply to Kramer:

I would. In fact, I hesitate more than ever to replace things anymore, because most of the time the new one isn't as good as the old one. And if the new one is made in China, I am all the more inclined to fix the old one. While some chinese made products are decent and some not, I'd rather not give my money to a country that has all but taken over ours.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
4/19/12 7:30 a.m.
Kramer wrote: I'm spending the dough. Now I'll have three floor jacks, but that's a tool that you can never have enough of (aren't they all?). 92Celica, I just moved back to Indy from Michigan. My Miata is still in storage for a few more weeks, and a new baby (human, not auto,) is preventing me from going HPDEing. I may autocross with CSCC some this summer if I get new tires. if you need help with something car related, let me know.

Cool! Well i'm always wrenching on something every weekend, so help is always appreciated. I supply beer!

Check out the IndySCCA schedule, it's a cool group of people and the turnouts are usually pretty good.

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
4/19/12 7:36 a.m.

I have an oldish craftsman jack (circa 1992) that is at the point where it lifts to half it's maximum height and then mostly gives up. I still use it out of necessity, but I really want to rebuild it. This thread is relevant to my interests...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
4/19/12 8:08 a.m.

In reply to Taiden:

It needs oil. If its aslow leak use 80/90 gear oil to top it off. Gear is a great quick fix for a jack with a slow leak.

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
4/19/12 8:14 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: In reply to Taiden: It needs oil. If its aslow leak use 80/90 gear oil to top it off. Gear is a great quick fix for a jack with a slow leak.

My Craftsmen does that AND the handle doesn't really lock or unlock right anymore. I am hoping that I can afford something good soon.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
4/19/12 8:22 a.m.
Kramer wrote: Would you have paid $167 to have this jack rebuilt?

I have a USA made Matco jack from the 1960s that started leaking from the pump seal. When I took it to get repaired the owner at the hydraulics place said they used to make a kit that fit pretty much all jacks of that type and said if I could find one he could fix it for $30, otherwise he would have to spend his time chasing parts and charge me accordingly. The jack is sitting in my garage, leaky, next to a new HF jack that set me back $110 with 20% coupon and 2yr no-questions warranty. It does the job - but not even in the same ballpark when it comes to fine movement. You can lift/drop a car but I'm not sure I could easily line up a motor mount bolt hole. The old one was brilliant for that sort of thing.

This thread reminds me that I need to look for the o-ring/seal kit or pay up. I absolutely would pay $167 to have my kick-ass 50yr old jack back as good as new but I'll try to pay less first.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UberDork
4/19/12 8:28 a.m.
mikeatrpi wrote: There's a guy named "Hiball" at the Garage Journal who rebuilds jacks. I think he sells parts or will even do the work for you if required. Here's one of his tutorials: http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51105

He seems to be a pretty good authority on old hydraulic jacks, and can supply parts for just about any US jack ever made.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
4/19/12 1:51 p.m.

Does anyone have a way to contact outside of the garage forum? I have three jacks that all need rebuilding...

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/19/12 2:19 p.m.

I would pay the money in a heartbeat.. and I do not have much cash to toss around much now

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
4/19/12 3:13 p.m.

Stump, I sent him a PM on garage journal asking for contact info to make the connection.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
4/19/12 6:24 p.m.
mikeatrpi wrote: Stump, I sent him a PM on garage journal asking for contact info to make the connection.

I guess I'll be joining yet another forum...

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
4/19/12 6:53 p.m.

Stump, I just sent you a "message" on this site. The other guy replied to me with his email and tel#. I hope this helps

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
4/20/12 9:39 a.m.
mikeatrpi wrote: Stump, I just sent you a "message" on this site. The other guy replied to me with his email and tel#. I hope this helps

Thanks! Go GRM!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tyJv7iMfKL9dmfCNHCOlfHGDlcvownviwWTqmmRCnOEZPEX3sQ6p1IFp9S1PzEiA