Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/10/21 9:17 p.m.

I'm never going back to flashlights. Headlamps free both hands. End of story. 

This is the rechargeable headlight I use at home. There's a bunch of identical ones online with various branding. It has a spotlight in the center, two floodlights on the outside. I've replaced the batteries once. 

Spotlight only. 

Spotlight and floodlights combined. 

This is my surgical headlamp. I paid $2500 for it used. Note the cooling fan. It's the best tool I've ever owned. 

The surgical light doesn't have a floodlight setting, this is wide angle within the available range. 
It's not intended for outside work, but for surgery, dentistry, etc.

It would be even brighter if I narrowed the beam. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/10/21 9:20 p.m.

Both, but I prefer the headlights that clip to your hat brim. Perfect for fishing at night.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
11/11/21 6:10 a.m.

Headlamp for working around the house and in the yard. Flashlight in my pocket when out and about.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
11/11/21 6:50 a.m.

I don't know, I used a clip on desk lamp replacing my transmission....

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
11/11/21 7:31 a.m.

Flashlight for me for daily use. They are easier to carry in a belt clip. I use a Streamlight ProTac HL.

If I'm out camping I have a headlamp around my neck if I'm by myself. If you are with a crowd, the headlamps suck because you end up blinding everyone you look at. 

If I'm working on a car, I use one of these. 

STINGER SWITCHBLADE® LED LIGHT BAR

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/11/21 10:06 p.m.

Headlamp.

Its always shining where i'm looking, and both my hands are free.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/12/21 7:37 a.m.

Best ever use of headlamp:   My two teenage sons shooting pool during a power outage. 

I recognize the utility, but I am not a headlamp user.  Old school flashlight for me.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
11/12/21 7:55 a.m.

Streamlight microstream in pocket and basically never use a head lamp. 

Folgers
Folgers New Reader
11/12/21 6:10 p.m.

Stream light stylus pro.  I probably have ten of them. 

The only time I don’t have one on me, is in bed. When I fly I ship one to my destination before hand. I feel naked without one in my pocket. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
11/13/21 8:59 a.m.

Flashlights are great for quick use, inspection, and navigation.

Headlamps are great for tasks where you need both hands or tasks where the additional time of setup is worth it (longer tasks).  

In my job I use both quite frequently as I often find myself working in dark and dusty areas on intricate pieces of machinery.  

Few weeks ago was in a big steel mill during a full outage - so all power including lights out, light towers only.  I was really thankful for my headlamp.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/14/21 6:29 p.m.

I use my flashlight starting around 4pm because LED Lenser cannot make a head light battery that lasts a full work day.

noodle
noodle Reader
11/15/21 8:35 a.m.

I love a good headlamp, but carrying around one at work/home is a pain in the ass. I wear a ball cap 99 percent of the time and have found that this little gem works the best...bight, lite, fits in my pocket and clips on my cap.  The base is also magnetic. Works great lasts a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/OLIGHT-Ultra-compact-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Mountaineering/dp/B08R66DKYS?th=1

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
11/15/21 11:21 a.m.

Somewhere in my collection of junk is a chest lamp.  Basically a headlamp but sits flat against my chest.  Great for running.  Unfortunately they didn't do anything to adjust the beam or output so it's kind of annoying for people I am facing.  It's a nice concept though and I imagine if the price was double the $40 or so I paid it could be made to be really nice.

I don't really like headlamps unless I'm walking or standing still.  Running I prefer flashlights.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7AvYvAbT9526mE7MyYUUqXUVvW0lhWhBR0P4bJXg54QxE19zr7F0XTuUuMewWTgg