fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
8/5/13 10:09 a.m.

I will be flying to Texas later this week, going to visit some family, then driving my grandfathers truck back home with my mother. 1992 Chevy 3/4 ton with a new engine ~10k ago. I believe it is a single cab, long bed, stick shift.

Anyway it is about 16 hours from outside of Austin to my hometown Urbana, IL. I think we will do I30 to Memphis then I57 straight up, which puts us through Austin, Dallas, Texarkana, Little Rock, Memphis to Urbana.

If anyone knows some good places to eat along that route, in a nearby city or town let me know. There have been a lot of suggestions in other threads for BBQ in Memphis, so I should be covered there.

nocones
nocones Dork
8/5/13 10:53 a.m.

Hickory river should be on your route home unless you get off on Curtis road

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/5/13 11:39 a.m.

At least you have Papa Dell's when you get home!

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
8/5/13 11:51 a.m.

Should be a Waffle House somewhere along the way

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing New Reader
8/5/13 1:10 p.m.

In reply to fritzsch:

About 45 minutes from Austin you have the town of Lockhart with some of the best BBQ in Texas, try Smitty's or Black's. Or both. Very good brisket, ribs, sausage, smoked pork chops. Different ambiance and both very rustic, as in no plates or utensils in Smitty's, i always bring a pocket knife to cut sausages etc.

A plus is that there is a new toll road from Austin through Lockhart with an 85mph limit.

In Austin there is plenty of good tex mex (Chuy's is commercial but still good) and now tons of food trucks.

In Dallas Cuquitas in a few locations is great Mexican. Use yelp to find it or another wiith good reviews.

Good luck on the drive.

curtis73
curtis73 UltraDork
8/5/13 6:31 p.m.

Rudy's BBQ is a chain in central TX. Great brisket, and the creamed corn is a MUST.

Salt Lick opened a satellite restaurant in Round Rock that is 90% as good as the original

There is a good BBQ joint on I-30 in Sulfur Springs. Can't remember the name, but its at the Rt 19 exit on the north frontage road of 30.

Can you tell I'm partial to BBQ?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
8/5/13 6:34 p.m.

If you were on I55, I'd suggest Lambert's in Sikeston, MO.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
8/5/13 6:37 p.m.

Pretty sure you're going I40 to Memphis? If so you'll have to take I55 up to I57. It's worth it to go to Lambert's. I make that I55-I57 run at least once a year.

btp76
btp76 Reader
8/5/13 6:52 p.m.

No Brakes is right. Curtis is wrong. Smitty's BBQ is my favorite, as Clarkson says, in the world. I've been to all the famous BBQ places in Memphis, and I don't like any of them. There is a good home cooking place and a good fried chicken place near downtown Memphis. Mia's is my favorite mexican in Dallas, but I can give you a recommendation for any food in the Dallas area. You can stop for a snack of kolaches in West. I can't help between Dallas and Memphis.

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
8/5/13 7:10 p.m.

In reply to everyone:

Thanks for the tips/recommendations. I will be doing I40 -> I55 -> I57 I just didn't want to write all that out. Ill have to check into Lamberts, thanks! We aren't looking soley for BBQ so btp76 what are the places you know of in Memphis?

btp76
btp76 Reader
8/5/13 7:34 p.m.

The Cupboard for home cooking, Gus's fried chicken.

psteav
psteav Dork
8/5/13 7:35 p.m.

Mean Pig in Cabot, AR (just east of Little Rock). Tasty, tasty BBQ. And Lambert's is awesome. Don't eat breakfast before you go, and expect to wait a while for a table.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
8/5/13 8:02 p.m.

For Lambert's if it isn't lunch time or the weekend the wait isn't bad. As for BBQ the crappier the place looks the better the food. Go to Top's, other than that hit Beale st. and go to BB King's for some good blues.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
8/6/13 1:33 a.m.

Big Os in Waco, colaches in between, Rudy's where you can find it, bodacious BBQ in east tx, what's burger at least once, fried pies in arkadelphia/caddy valley ar, there's a great Indian place in little rock, BBQ again in Russellville. Past there I've got nothing.

petegossett
petegossett UberDork
8/6/13 5:37 a.m.

There's a big-ass truck stop just on the MO side of the IL state line...Boom City or something similar? Yeah, that's definitely worth the stop. Lots of good food, entertaining environment, and a massive store as well.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/6/13 7:34 a.m.
mtn wrote: Should be a Waffle House somewhere along the way

Jesus, no. What is wrong with you people? Ate there with some friends late Saturday after doing a bit of boozing........food wasn't bad, but the next 36 hours were less comfortable for my insides.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
8/6/13 11:51 a.m.

Forgot one, does eat place in little rock.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
8/6/13 11:54 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
mtn wrote: Should be a Waffle House somewhere along the way
Jesus, no. What is wrong with you people? Ate there with some friends late Saturday after doing a bit of boozing........food wasn't bad, but the next 36 hours were less comfortable for my insides.

I have never had this issue before with Waffle House. White Castle on the other hand... Which reminds me, I need to go eat some white castle

nocones
nocones Dork
8/6/13 12:04 p.m.

MMMM white castle. Is there one in Blo-no?

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
8/6/13 1:20 p.m.
nocones wrote: MMMM white castle. Is there one in Blo-no?

Sadly, no. I think that Dave (Dnace) looked into opening one in BloNo, but the logistics don't work out with food distributors and whatnot.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
9/2/21 10:25 a.m.

When traveling through Texas, make sure to stop at at least one Buc-ee's.  Tons of good food options (many made to order), snacks, drinks, bbq pits, shirts, shorts, camping equipment, etc.  They're an adventure in themselves.  However, keep an eye on gas prices.  Buc-ee's is always 10-20 cents more than other stations.

-Rob

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/2/21 12:49 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

I hope he's back by now.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
9/2/21 1:53 p.m.
Cooter said:

In reply to rob_lewis :

I hope he's back by now.

Ooops, I guess a zombie thread popped it back up and I missed the date.....

-Rob

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KkdxZOcGkjTDqXSPSbvikwElFwzrlHol6VXiDWnQnjjDWkuLvqEkBS0HnbB224kA