8 9 10 11 12
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/29/20 7:55 a.m.

Why didn't I take a picture?  

When it's too damn hot to cook.  Two 8" plates in the freezer.  Later put down a bed of lettuce, chunks of watermelon, hand melon, peach slices and fresh picked strawberries and blueberries.  Top with a small scoop of orange sherbert and one of salty caramel gelato.  That was last night, quite filling.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
8/2/20 1:36 p.m.

I have absolutely no clue what they use this for in Filipino cooking, but by gods it is good as a marinade.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/10/20 1:03 p.m.

Salmon steak ready to be blackened, skewers with scallops, shrimp, red onion and peppers.  (1/2 jalapeno' on each stick).

BTW:  Spend the money, get good stainless steel skewers, you won't look back.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
8/10/20 1:18 p.m.

Quiche Lorraine for brunch the other day.  

Fresh blueberry pie for desert.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
8/10/20 1:20 p.m.

Spicy Thai green curry soup with shrimp and a side dish of potstickers.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
10/12/20 2:41 p.m.

fried and steamed Chinese pork buns. 

Should have made them a little spicier, but I already ate 1/3 of them, so clearly not a deal breaker. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
11/4/20 10:23 p.m.

Kind of a cross over with this thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/the-stress-of-the-election/178275/page1/

Needed a nice dinner to ground myself and the wife.  Followed Alton Brown's recipe from the Good Eats episode "Immersion Therapy" and sous vided an eye round.  Made french dips.  God damn it was good.  Consider us solidly grounded.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/4/20 11:21 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

SWMBO Won't let me in the kitchen except the refrigerator, the microwave,  and my pizza oven. I may have built it but I did to her specs. so it belongs to her ( and she's a fantastic cook) 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
11/4/20 11:22 p.m.

Neither of us are slouches in the kitchen.  I do have a propensity to overcomplicate my recipes though

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/5/20 1:22 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I hope you brought enough to share with the whole class. cheeky

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
11/5/20 5:14 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

We are new to Sous Vide cooking - so far it's been awesome but searing on a cast iron skillet in grape seed oil makes a huge mess of my kitchen.

What's you go-to technique after cooking in the SV? Grill? Cast iron skillet? Just ignore the weird meat color and eat?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
11/5/20 9:48 a.m.

Latest incarnation of my sourdough crust pizza.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/5/20 9:58 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

We are new to Sous Vide cooking - so far it's been awesome but searing on a cast iron skillet in grape seed oil makes a huge mess of my kitchen.

What's you go-to technique after cooking in the SV? Grill? Cast iron skillet? Just ignore the weird meat color and eat?

I prefer the grill or charcoal chimney to sear but since I don't have a gas grill I usually don't feel like lighting charcoal just to sear. 

I have mostly been doing chicken lately and one lamb shank. I just sear in a cast iron pan with a small amount of oil, usually olive since that is what is handy. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
11/5/20 11:37 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Kind of depends on what we are making, generally its a cast iron skillet though.  Definitely can't just ignore the weird color and eat.  Grosses the wife out, I can't even let her see it in that state or her appetite is gone.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
11/5/20 11:56 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
OHSCrifle said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Kind of depends on what we are making, generally its a cast iron skillet though.  Definitely can't just ignore the weird color and eat.  Grosses the wife out, I can't even let her see it in that state or her appetite is gone.

Totally understand that. Thanks. 

..we've been (gas) grilling about 20% and pan searing the rest. So good regardless. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/6/20 7:25 a.m.

Beef Tips Bourgognone.

2 lbs beef ( I used flank steak but stew beef works fine)

Roll in flour, salt & pepper mixture

In a Dutch Oven, brown in oil.

Add 1 small onion, slivered

Add about 20 mushrooms (1 pint?) washed and sliced

1 1/2 cups red wine; Cab or Burgandy work well

Lower heat and cover.  Stir very often as the brown bits will stick to the bottom and the flour will thicken the whole thing up. 

You're going to have to add water as it cooks.  Some people add bacon, garlic and spice bags; use your tastes.  Restaurants serve it over linguini, I used rice as it sucks up the gravy better.  I've seen it over mashed potatoes also.

The bread is Honey Wheat biscuits I made a few days ago so I sliced them, covered in butter and broiled them brown.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/23/20 6:41 p.m.

Visually, it's not much. But a simple change to the just beer to finish and cook through sausage to finish them is to add butter and cold brew coffee to the beer. The fat from the butter renders and grabs the sugars from the beer, and the acidity from the coffee balance out the sweet malt and sugars. 

It's always amazing how much sugar in the beer the butter finds to caramelize with...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/27/20 8:29 a.m.

thanksgiving edition. 

Prime rib sous vide overnight with a rub of mesquite smoked salt and black pepper. Pulled after about 14 hours at 127*, rested and then coated with about 2lbs of amish butter compounded with rosemary sage thyme and garlic, back into the oven for 15min at 475*. 

Purple cauliflower puree mixed with horseradish sauce and british sharp cheddar. 

Turnips au gratin with sliced portabellos, a mix of asiago fresco and pecorino romano cheese in the bechamel, with more melty goodness thrown on top.

Dessert was a homemade fruit crisp of pears and dried sour cherries. Orange infused walnut and vietnamese cinnamon streusel, basic ass home made whipped cream. 

This is the first time since my whole hospital E36 M3 that I've really flexed my cooking skills. I'm really trying to avoid sugar and fat and carbs and salt which means I eat a berkeleypile of salads and basic vegetables. It's not doing me any good, but I'm trying. It did feel good to get all the kitchen gadgets out tho. Kitchen aid, sous vide stick, spice grinder....made a giant mess. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
11/27/20 9:51 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/27/20 10:28 a.m.

Today I'm making cornbread crusted pot pie out of turkey bits.  One day next week though, I want to attempt making Tourtiere - French Canadian Meat Pie.  Trish grew up on the Border and after midnight mass on Christmas Eve her family would sit down to these.  There are many recipes, but none of them say to put the meat in a food processor or blender to make it finer.  That's how it was done up north.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
11/27/20 7:54 p.m.

Turkey Day 2.0.   And an obligatory pie-stravaganza.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
12/20/20 3:05 p.m.

The wife and I's friends have a bi-monthly zoom dinner.  We all choose a recipe (apps, entree, drink, dessert) and we all make the same thing.  As we eat we fire up zoom and BS with each other and get a little drunk.  As a substitute for actual human interaction its a bit like kissing your sister, but the food is good.

Last night's dinner:

https://www.julieseatsandtreats.com/jalapeno-popper-dip/

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pork-wellington-recipe-1917666

https://www.theendlessmeal.com/christmas-cranberry-margarita/

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/frozen-peppermint-delight/  (recommend using peppermint bark instead of the crushed candies the recipe calls for.)

This glorious bastard is getting put in semi-permanent rotation.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
12/20/20 4:09 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

The wife and I's friends have a bi-monthly zoom dinner.  We all choose a recipe (apps, entree, drink, dessert) and we all make the same thing.  As we eat we fire up zoom and BS with each other and get a little drunk.  As a substitute for actual human interaction its a bit like kissing your sister, but the food is good.

Last night's dinner:

https://www.julieseatsandtreats.com/jalapeno-popper-dip/

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pork-wellington-recipe-1917666

https://www.theendlessmeal.com/christmas-cranberry-margarita/

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/frozen-peppermint-delight/  (recommend using peppermint bark instead of the crushed candies the recipe calls for.)

This glorious bastard is getting put in semi-permanent rotation.

That looks delicious.  It's on my list of recipes to figure out.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
12/20/20 4:14 p.m.

Made a nice reverse sear ribeye and scratch made rolls the other night along with a nice blueberry pie.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
12/22/20 10:06 a.m.

so is a little premature...

8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
krutIf7WEVnhfVVaUget2ghKPLTHbiooCJN6nHObu4fl1YodUkgscYMAYAnwyDJK