1 2 3 4 5
Floating Doc
Floating Doc HalfDork
8/28/18 9:25 p.m.

Wild salmon, green beans, roast potatoes.

Still experimenting with sourdough. Sourdough maple pecan bread. Major success.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
9/10/18 9:08 p.m.

something for those who enjoy heat...

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
9/11/18 12:05 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Where have you been learning/how did you get started with sour dough?

I really want to do it, but dealing with starters and such seems overwhelming. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
9/11/18 2:15 p.m.

Pork tenderloin on the Weber Charcoal

daeman
daeman Dork
9/11/18 5:56 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Don't be daunted man, it's only flour, water and patience. Even if you manage to lose your starter, you're not out much (hint, I've killed several over the last few years)

Here's the method I started with, it was easy enough. You should be able to find a video of it too if you learn better by watching as opposed to reading.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc HalfDork
9/12/18 6:56 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Floating Doc :

Where have you been learning/how did you get started with sour dough?

I really want to do it, but dealing with starters and such seems overwhelming. 

Mine came from a family member, who bought it from King Arthur Flour after she killed her own. 

It's easy to care for.

burning_ac1d
burning_ac1d New Reader
9/12/18 10:59 p.m.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
9/14/18 8:14 p.m.
burning_ac1d said:

Nice wings...

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
9/22/18 6:31 p.m.

So a bit of a promotion celebration.  Rounded up some nice filets, baked potatoes, salad, hollandaise sauce, and fresh baked bread.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
9/23/18 7:02 p.m.

Bkueberry topped nyc cheesecake

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
10/13/18 3:55 p.m.

My very first homemade ham. Still has 20 degrees to go. 17 days brined, coming up on 5 hours in an apple smoked BBQ. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
10/13/18 7:30 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Nice!

I need to do one of those!

Looks like a very well used smoker too! The best kind. Looks like my Brinkman.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
10/16/18 6:14 p.m.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
10/28/18 7:10 p.m.

did something slightly different with the chicken thighs this week. They were brined, hard flash fried for 2 minutes per a side, then smoked for 6 hours. Then tossed in dogpound sauce and served over long grain rice. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
10/29/18 4:17 p.m.

I was trimming up a brisket Friday night and chopped off about a pound and a half of the flat, ground it up and made some green chili smash burgers on the griddle.

Mrs Salty said they were the best ones she's ever had.

Hers are the ones without Chili's and onions.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
10/29/18 4:44 p.m.

I reached my full culinary potential a few weeks ago.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/11/18 1:07 p.m.

biscuits and gravy, with a pair of fried eggs and a crispy chicken strip thrown in. Yes, home made.

daeman
daeman Dork
11/15/18 2:51 p.m.

Crispy skin duck breast with thyme, sour cream mashed potato, wilted broccolini with garlic.

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
11/15/18 4:27 p.m.

I admit, brown plate isn't the most photographic creation. Until you realize that is a homemade mozzarella slice next to chick filet seasoned pork belly. Sweet baby rays with Frank's red hot for the sauce.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/16/18 7:13 p.m.

lobster and sweet corn chowder with bacon, roasted red potatoes, and parrano cheese- rosemary and garlic crusty bread nubs. 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
11/17/18 12:26 p.m.
Mndsm said:

lobster and sweet corn chowder with bacon, roasted red potatoes, and parrano cheese- rosemary and garlic crusty bread nubs. 

That looks fantastic - have a recipe you can share?

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
11/18/18 3:49 p.m.

On my third attempt now. Sticky Chinese pork belly with Meinfun noodles cooked in duck stock. 

Too much ginger for me, but good none the less

daeman
daeman Dork
11/19/18 2:50 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Crispy or braised belly? I love pork belly, it's such fatty, delicious goodness.

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
11/19/18 12:16 p.m.

In reply to daeman :

Braised for 2 hours in duck stock, then pan fried in toasted sesame oil before being hit with the glaze. Drained the stock from the pork to cook the noodles in.

The last time I tried this, I accidentally used turkey gravy instead of stock. Still a decent meal, but a strange combination. 

I blame my camera, the pork is actually red and sticky from the glaze, but my lighting is terrible. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/22/18 7:05 p.m.
84FSP said:
Mndsm said:

That looks fantastic - have a recipe you can share?

Yes and no. Yes, because I can tell you how to make it, no, because I have no idea on any of the measurements. 

Basics are-

Bacon. 

3 whole lobsters (I get them for about 5 bucks each)  

Red potatoes  

Corn. 

Milk. 

Heavy cream  

Seafood stock 

Carrots/onions/celery- also known as mirepoix. 

Various spices- rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, onion powder...probably other stuff. 

Start by rendering off cubed up bacon in stock pot, till well crispy. Once crispy, add in in mirepoix (should be equal amounts fine diced carrots onions and celery) cook until onions are translucent and soft. Add flour to form a roux, cook til golden. 

On the side, remove meats from lobsters. See Gordon Ramsey in YouTube for how. Mine come cooked- so I get to skip that step. Set aside. 

Potatoes- dice to about...dice sized. However big that is. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, rosemary. Stick in 400* oven til soft and starting to brown. Feel free to roast the corn in the same oven. I used frozen bag corn, you can use cob corn. 

Back to the soup part- once roux is sufficiently cooked, (should be the consistency of a soft paste, almost pancake syrup) add in seafood stock. I used bar harbor lobster stock, you probably cant get that unless you're in florida. Stir til smooth and soup like. Add heavy cream, slowly. Once potatoes are done, add. Corn, same thing. If on cob, remove from cob. Season to taste, allow to simmer until desired thickness. 2-3min before serving,  add lobster. Once lobster is warm, serve with crusty bread. 

Crusty bread was a small baguette I cut on the bias, buttered, seasoned with garlic and rosemary. 

EDIT- I forgot the damn cheese. Parrano cheese. Gouda family, smells and tastes a lot like a good robust parmesan or Romano, but soft. Grate a good handful or two, and pitch in the soup when the cream has started to do hot soup stuff. Simmer? Simmer. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TTNomaXt4rEhKyB035Sjt579p5bBy08UtHayJBT9h7fStYdpcYZxBD57LGMv1LcZ