1 2 3
aircooled
aircooled Dork
1/14/09 12:44 p.m.

You know you want one:

M41-A Pulse Rifle

Along similar lines, in reference to Starship Troopers, which used a similar weapon I found this rather accurate:

First, if Paul Verhoeven [the director of Starship Troopers] learned anything during his stint in the Dutch marines, exposure to Hollywood has since leached it from his mind. Verhoeven et al decided to leave out the powered armor, turning the MI into a fairly conventional force, recognizable to any member of today's armed forces -- except of, course, for the complete lack of artillery, mechanized transport, armored fighting vehicles, squad-level automatic weapons and indirect fire weapons such as mortars, other squad-level support systems, or combat medical units. Tactics consist of running towards the enemy in a big mob, running away from the enemy in a big mob, and walking from point A to point B in a big mob. (I especially like the scene where the MIs form a big circle around a Bug, with fellow troopers in their line of fire, and shoot at the Bug in the center -- I guess they are not as picky about friendly fire casualties in the 22nd century.) A supposedly elite unit, the MIs would have a hard time defeating a unit of Campfire Girls, let alone the Bugs.

Second, the Navy isn't any smarter -- they appear to be fundamentally incapable of preventing their ships from running into each other. On more than one occasion we see ships packed in such tight formations that when a ship is hit and falls out of its assigned spot, the result is the space fleet equivalent of a multi-car pileup. Wet Navy folk are traditionally very concerned with running their ships into things -- especially each other -- and spend a lot of time practicing so that it doesn't happen. It still occasionally does happen, but they take great pains to minimize the likelihood, in part by spreading the formation out sufficiently. I can't think of any reason why their 22nd century space Navy descendants would view things any differently. Depicting them in a formation guaranteed to cause collisions is, at best, sloppy and lazy, and at worst stupid in the extreme.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
1/14/09 12:48 p.m.

I have mentioned the same things to my wife... she told me to shut up and stop spoiling the movie.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
1/14/09 12:58 p.m.

Nice. Add Robocop's Auto-9 pistol and prepare for the Zombiepocalypse

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
1/14/09 1:09 p.m.

Rambo took on half the Vietnamese Army with a crossbow. By that standard, the Starship Troopers shouldn't need much more than a couple of cans of Raid.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/14/09 1:12 p.m.

Aliens was great SF.

"Starship Troopers" was worse SF than Super Troopers. I love the Heinlein novel. As near as I can tell, the only thing the movie took from the book were names.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/14/09 1:13 p.m.

I don't watch any Paul Verhoven movies anymore. You wanna see The Worst Movie Ever? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081547/

And with the bugs, what, no one remembers Chloradane or DDT in the 22nd century? Instead you shoot 22's at elephants and wonder why it takes so many hits? And don't even get me started on the failures of the movie as compared to the book.

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
1/14/09 1:13 p.m.
John Brown wrote: I have mentioned the same things to my wife... she told me to shut up and stop spoiling the movie.

That could be said for just about any sci-fi battle-scene... given that current targeting systems pretty much allow a naval ship to drop conventional ordinance onto a dingy from many, many miles away (like past the curvature of the Earth), there is no doubt that space-bourne targeting systems would be even more accurate from even greater distances. And we're not even talking about laser guided missles systems.

Over the years, I've learned to ignore my naval history education when watching sci-fi...

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/14/09 1:17 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Aliens was great SF. "Starship Troopers" was worse SF than Super Troopers. I love the Heinlein novel. As near as I can tell, the only thing the movie took from the book were names.

You're dead to me.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
1/14/09 1:21 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I don't watch any Paul Verhoven movies anymore.....

I just looked up his other work, he did do Total Recal and Robocop, both pretty good. That does make me understand a lot on why Starship Troopers was done like it was.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/14/09 1:29 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Salanis wrote: "Starship Troopers" was worse SF than Super Troopers. I love the Heinlein novel. As near as I can tell, the only thing the movie took from the book were names.
You're dead to me.

Huh? For thinking the "Starship Troopers" movie was utter crap, particularly in light of how great the book was?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
1/14/09 1:34 p.m.
aircooled wrote: ...It still occasionally does happen, but they take great pains to minimize the likelihood, in part by spreading the formation out sufficiently.

Mmm, no. The ships run very close to each other on a near daily basis for refueling and replenishment. If you look at any Navy ship, you'll see it's well dented on the sides.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x HalfDork
1/14/09 2:45 p.m.

I have to agree with Starship Troopers being a disappointment especially considering the depth of the book. Also, that actress had the worst set I've seen in a movie in a long time. I remember when she whipped out those sweater puppies for the second time in, oh, 15 minutes and someone in the theater said "Not again!"

Aliens and Blade Runner were both good sci-fi. Blade Runner especially from being based on the book "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?" I'd have to say the book was even bleaker than the movie.

I'm really, really hoping that Watchmen meets the expectations set by the hype.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
1/14/09 3:02 p.m.

Back more or less on subject

I love this website: IMFDB

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/14/09 3:43 p.m.

Why did "Starship Troopers" not suck?

Four words: Co-ed sho-wers.

jg

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
1/14/09 4:07 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
Salanis wrote: "Starship Troopers" was worse SF than Super Troopers. I love the Heinlein novel. As near as I can tell, the only thing the movie took from the book were names.
You're dead to me.
Huh? For thinking the "Starship Troopers" movie was utter crap, particularly in light of how great the book was?

For dirtying Super Troopers name by mentioning it in the same sentence as Starship Troopers.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan New Reader
1/14/09 4:26 p.m.

I just finished reading Starship Troopers. Remarkable sci-fi for 1959, not terribly dated. The movie was cartoonish, and enjoyable for all of that. Catch-22 is the only movie/novel combo that seems faithful that I've seen/read so far. Heinlein is a little cynical, but hey, we're not gonna be around to see the things he predicts, thankfully. Although 2009, did pop up as a random number in the text, number of initial enlistees, I think?

aircooled
aircooled Dork
1/14/09 4:40 p.m.
nutherjrfan wrote: ...Catch-22 is the only movie/novel combo that seems faithful that I've seen/read so far...

Shawshank Redemption is almost EXACTLY like the book. Of course it was a short story, which are far better as movies. BTW 3 of the 4 stories from that book (Different Seasons) where made into movies, can anyone name them (without looking of course).

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/14/09 4:54 p.m.

Old Man and the Sea was dead accurate. It seemed that the narrator was reading verbaitim from the book 99% of the time.

Back on topic, I'm already wanting to watch the new star trec movie and bitch about inacuracies

Will
Will Reader
1/14/09 5:04 p.m.

I've not read Starship Troopers, but the movie stands on its own as an immensely fun take on old newsreels and films like Sands of Iwo Jima. In fact the movie is pretty much perfect when you realize that it's really just a parody of a Grade B WWII propoganda flick like something with Van Johnson in it.

JoshC
JoshC New Reader
1/14/09 5:25 p.m.
Snowdoggie wrote: Rambo took on half the Vietnamese Army with a crossbow. By that standard, the Starship Troopers shouldn't need much more than a couple of cans of Raid.

It was actually a compound bow and effectively launched my desire to have one as a youth. Never could find the explosive arrow heads though.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
1/14/09 5:53 p.m.

Non working "Nemo gun" . I'm sure you could make a working model pretty easily.

Check this guy's site out though.. http://www.vulcaniasubmarine.com/

Keith
Keith SuperDork
1/14/09 6:18 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
nutherjrfan wrote: ...Catch-22 is the only movie/novel combo that seems faithful that I've seen/read so far...
Shawshank Redemption is almost EXACTLY like the book. Of course it was a short story, which are far better as movies. BTW 3 of the 4 stories from that book (Different Seasons) where made into movies, can anyone name them (without looking of course).

Stand By Me, Shawshank Redemption and Apt Pupil. I always thought the latter was one of King's best works, although I've not seen the movie.

I enjoyed reading Starship Troopers as a kid, when I read it as action sci-fi and not as a political novel. I did not enjoy it as much later in life. I did enjoy Dina Meyer in the movie, however.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
1/15/09 12:59 a.m.

Mother night was pretty faithful to the book.

Joey

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
1/15/09 1:41 a.m.
Keith wrote: Apt Pupil. I always thought the latter was one of King's best works, although I've not seen the movie.

havent read the book, used the movie for a film report thing in freshman comp and found it really good.

bad book to film? Eragon. the book is awesome, the movie UTTER E36 M3E dont get me started.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/15/09 10:44 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: bad book to film? Eragon. the book is awesome, the movie UTTER E36 M3E dont get me started.

What are you talking about? The book was crap too. I figured it would make a decent film, since it was a blatant repackaging of Star Wars.

[Princess steals something from evil emperor guy. Just before getting captured, she sends it out randomly. It comes into the possession of a young farm-boy who is being raised by his uncle. Because the empire is hunting him, it leads him to be mentored by an old man who is the last member of an ancient order of mystic knights who used to guard the realm, and who the evil emperor was once a member. He discovers the farm boy has the same powers of these mystic knights and begins to train him in them (the boys father was a member of this order). The old knight gives him a special blue-bladed sword... I'll stop. I can do this for the entire book.] I lol'ed in the movie when Eragon has a vision of the princess, and she says the phrase "You're my only hope."

1 2 3
Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
gXrIfTMPTBB7GN1rvNNvFnOJGWt7xXB9ittNcXYgbzoXdI8nsUq7NONAiQZbdT20