3 4 5 6 7
Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/18/15 11:26 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I only buy PBR when it's the only thing the gas station has in cheap tallboys that's better than Busch.
PBR better than Busch? Them's fightin' words!

Busch quality depends entirely on the plant it comes from. STL Busch from the home plant ain't bad for what it is. NNJ Busch from the Newark NJ plant is terrible.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
8/18/15 11:32 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

I never knew that. Perks of living in the beer capitol.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/18/15 11:55 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Anyone who would suggest that Yuengling is "cheap" beer should re-acquaint themselves with a dictionary.

Well, it's fairly cheap here in eastern PA/NJ (near the home breweries) and is often lumped in with other discount "happy hour" domestic beers. The Porter and Black & Tan aren't bad, although I rarely drink them anymore. The ex's parent's used to keep a few of them on hand.

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
8/19/15 12:07 p.m.

In reply to bluebarchetta: (re: Some of the most thoughtful, nuanced political discussions I've read on the Web were right here at GRM Off-Topic. (No, I'm not kidding.) I'll miss that.)

Agreed. I used to frequent some other discussion boards focused on politics, but really enjoyed the insight and different perspectives here, probably because a lot of the political discussion forums elsewhere are "self-selecting" for similar mindset. There's some value in those, but the broader perspectives here provided insights I wouldn't get elsewhere.

I'd be in favor of a separate politics forum with the base rules of "keep it civil". Just a thought.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/19/15 1:57 p.m.

a separate political page isn't likely to ever happen here … Margie has spoken (and with good reason)

there's no reason we can't have thoughtful, nuanced political discussions on here … the problem is … they don't stay that way … and end up getting locked ..or worse deleted completely

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/19/15 3:34 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: On a completely back on topic note, I have felt a much more positive vibe throughout the forumsince maMargie slapped us all. Good show guys.

Meh.

Public silence does not equate to agreeability or compliance.

My private inbox has been jammed with messages from folks on this board since, mostly negative. From my seat, seems like like folks are just venting in a different way. I don't mind the private conversations, but I think the collective input from the hive can be much more valuable than what I have to offer.

Public conversation just seems stifled.

There is always gonna be an ebb and flow. It will come back. It's really not a bad thing if we don't over react. Knee jerk reactions produce knee jerk results.

The beauty of it is that if you treat it with patience, it pretty much always fixes itself.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
8/19/15 4:28 p.m.
Duke wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I only buy PBR when it's the only thing the gas station has in cheap tallboys that's better than Busch.
PBR better than Busch? Them's fightin' words!
Busch quality depends *entirely* on the plant it comes from. STL Busch from the home plant ain't bad for what it is. NNJ Busch from the Newark NJ plant is terrible.

Perhaps I'll have to revisit it. I've only had it a couple times and didn't read the can that closely. I do remember it being the safety orange hunting season can design though, those guys really know their market. I just remember is being a pretty generic AAL with some off flavors different from PBR's off flavors, maybe just a little skunky.

I do recall the Busch Copper Lager being terrible though.

monknomo
monknomo New Reader
8/19/15 5:39 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Yeah, it's not the cheapest beer, but it's only like ~$.65/bottle with PA's normal "buy it by the case, you DRUNK" rules. Not an expensive beer by any means

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
8/19/15 6:05 p.m.

In reply to monknomo:

Yeah, Yuengling is more than that outside of PA, like $1/bottle the last time I was in Ohio and bought a 12 pack at the Meijer on the border. It's well worth the money though, if you have it.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy PowerDork
8/19/15 6:19 p.m.

$1 per beer? Our duhmestic beers are running close to $3 a beer

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/19/15 9:12 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote: Anyone who would suggest that Yuengling is "cheap" beer should re-acquaint themselves with a dictionary.
Well, it's fairly cheap here in eastern PA/NJ (near the home breweries) and is often lumped in with other discount "happy hour" domestic beers. The Porter and Black & Tan aren't bad, although I rarely drink them anymore. The ex's parent's used to keep a few of them on hand.

I can get yeungling for Bud prices in DC

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
8/21/15 8:30 p.m.

I want to buy all of the Suddards who are of age the drink of their choice if I ever meet them for putting up with all of the crap that this forum causes them. I am pretty sure it is not a revenue stream for for the business, but they keep it going and have only really gotten involved when some rogue elements consistently went beyond the pale.

I have learned a ton of E36 M3 on these forums and feel comfortable asking questions that get responses of "search, noob!" on other forums. From a purely selfish standpoint, I hope that they take whatever steps they have to in order to keep them going.

bgkast
bgkast UberDork
8/21/15 8:34 p.m.

I beg to differ about not a revenue source. Myself and I am sure numerous others have subscribed after being introduced to GRM by this forum.

It is one of the best places on the net though.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/24/15 11:30 a.m.

I took the summer off from the two web boards I frequented daily (GRM being one of them). The negativity was really starting to get to me. Good move with this, Margie.

Any place where commenting is an option will be rendered intolerable in the coming presidential election. Between politics and a rash of shootings that apparently had nothing to do with guns, I wanted no part of even reading peoples angry thoughts. The comments on just about anything public on facebook have made me deduce that most of the country is literally insane.

The GRM always was a respite from the rest of the internet. I'll have to start coming back here now.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/24/15 12:47 p.m.

Thanks, and thanks everybody for responding to the request for a more positive environment with a minimum of negativity.

Margie

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/24/15 12:54 p.m.

I was a little too negative there, wasn't I?

I've been in a fairly negative headspace lately, so I guess that makes sense.

bgkast wrote: I beg to differ about not a revenue source. Myself and I am sure numerous others have subscribed after being introduced to GRM by this forum. It is one of the best places on the net though.

Agreed. In this era where no one wants to pay for intellectual property anymore (music, print media, anything), I feel very compelled to compensate content providers.

If I use this web board and listen to the occasional GRM podcast, then the least I can do is pay for my GRM subscription. Well, the least I could do is nothing, but I'd prefer to raise the bar a bit.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/24/15 1:02 p.m.

In reply to gamby:

No! Not you--I just meant overall, there was a minimum of kvetching about my momming.

Margie

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/24/15 1:13 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard:

I couldn't kvetch about enhanced civility.

G. P. Snorklewacker
G. P. Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/24/15 2:13 p.m.

Everytime this thread pops up to the top I get "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to..." stuck in my head for half the day.

Can we rename it to a less catchy Lesley Gore tune? Maybe Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows?

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/24/15 2:45 p.m.

Well, Margie's gonna make it a lot more "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows" around here from now on.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/24/15 3:02 p.m.
G. P. Snorklewacker wrote: Everytime this thread pops up to the top I get "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to..." stuck in my head for half the day. Can we rename it to a less catchy Lesley Gore tune? Maybe Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows?

I remember dancing to that in Jr. High

joey48442
joey48442 UberDork
8/25/15 10:10 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Thanks, and thanks everybody for responding to the request for a more positive environment with a minimum of negativity. Margie

I've come back to the board since you laid down the law. I've been a member of the forum since at least 2001... But I bailed being a constant reader of the forum a year or two ago, mostly due to a few people's in particulars atitude. And I don't really care if there is a problem with the silence, the lack of discussion. I think if we think of the GRM forum as "polite company", and remember there are some conversations you don't have in "polite company", we will do well. I learned a while back that I won't discuss politics unless it's in person (and I rarely do that). I wish others would do the same!

Joey

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/25/15 11:48 a.m.

Joey … welcome back … that said, I find it easy enough to generally ignore those that cause me problems … though as a mod. I do keep an out on the threads that I see as having the potential for getting out of hand .. and pretty much know ahead of time who's going to take which position … and who's going to react with large amts. of negativity …

but ignoring what you don't like is the easy button

joey48442
joey48442 UberDork
8/25/15 4:21 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

True. My issue was that you never knew where the douchebaggery would pop up, and it was just easier to avoid the forum in general

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock PowerDork
8/25/15 4:33 p.m.

From my perspective the problem threads where few and far between. I hadn't noticed the negative tones that everyone is talking about. At least no where near as bad as the last time Margie laid down the law and purged a few people.

I haven't really noticed a huge change after either. Meh...

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WxTtH7n7N8BP0gh0x7JgxKLAwpVIvL7WASvHksGRNSzUgwAZd9k0ZN3N2sWKLjpH