1 2
cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/18/10 8:49 a.m.

This stuff has been getting a lot of press lately, mostly bad. Naturally that made me curious. Went to the C store last night a bought a can for a scientific experiment. Sat down in my Lazy Boy and took a good swig. That stuff is HORRID! Bitter, you can tast the caffine. No redeeming virtues at all. OK, at 12% alcohol you'll get hammered quickly, but I poured out almost a full can. Red Bull I can handle, but never again this stuff. Anybody else have any experience with Four Loco, or are you too embarrased to admit it?

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
11/18/10 9:01 a.m.

I've tried Sparks, same idea, also horrid.

Not sure why they're banning the alcohol/caffeine combo just because a few people went overboard drinlking the stuff.

EvanB
EvanB Dork
11/18/10 9:05 a.m.

My roommates drink it all the time. I tried a sip once and almost spit it out.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
11/18/10 9:06 a.m.

All flavors are horrid, certain flavors are less horrid than others.

PubBurgers wrote: Not sure why they're banning the alcohol/caffeine combo just because a few people went overboard drinlking the stuff.

Because you don't feel the grogginess from being drunk. You're drunk, you act drunk, you look drunk, but you don't really feel it even though you know it. Besides that, I can barely taste the alcohol in it.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/18/10 9:07 a.m.

The kids will drink anything if there's alcohol in it.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
11/18/10 9:08 a.m.

I'll stick to redbull and Jaegermeister thanks.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/18/10 9:30 a.m.

I don't get it. Why would you want something that tastes awful just to get hammered?

The liquor store is already full of distilled spirits that pack a bigger wallop. If you accidentally bought something with a 100 proof that didn't taste horrible - you could always mix it with Red Bull to ruin it.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
11/18/10 9:31 a.m.

I don't really understand why they want to ban it either. Jager bombs have been around as long as Red Bull and Jager were in the same room, and I don't really see how these are any different. It's like trying to make selling a peanut butter and jelly sandwich illegal. Even if they did, people are still going to make them.

That being said, about two weeks ago a friend of mine slammed two of them in rapid succession, and didn't remember the last two hours or so of his night.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
11/18/10 9:35 a.m.

It's because apparently young adults don't realize how bad it is to drink THAT much caffeine with alcohol.

I read the the FourLoko's have the equivalent of three cups of coffee along with the Taurine and such.

Alcohol raises your blood pressure as once you get to around the legal limit your body is literally in fight-or-flight mode (your body reacts to alcohol like the POISON that it is). Add in 3, 6, 9+ cups of coffee worth of caffeine and you can see how people start getting palpitations and such.

I'll stick to good beer and Vodka, I'll pass on the uppers while drinking.

Waiting for the good doc to post.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
11/18/10 9:38 a.m.
mtn wrote: All flavors are horrid, certain flavors are less horrid than others.
PubBurgers wrote: Not sure why they're banning the alcohol/caffeine combo just because a few people went overboard drinlking the stuff.
Because you don't feel the grogginess from being drunk. You're drunk, you act drunk, you look drunk, but you don't really feel it even though you know it. Besides that, I can barely taste the alcohol in it.

Red Bull and Vodka accomplishes the same thing without tasting like ass.

11/18/10 9:45 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Red Bull and Vodka accomplishes the same thing without tasting like ass.

I'll have to disagree with you there. With all of the fine things you can do to vodka like olives and vermouth... Red Bull is right between furniture polish and drain cleaner on the list.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
11/18/10 9:49 a.m.

And I equate olives with pine-sol, so I guess it's different strokes. But with the possible ban- I see someone with a roomy hatchback and a little discretionary income being able to make a few bucks... silly college kids. Reports are already coming in of kids on campuses selling at 15$/CAN.....

Except I'd not do that. Cause that's illegal and stuff.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
11/18/10 9:51 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Red Bull and Vodka accomplishes the same thing without tasting like ass.

And how exactly do you know what ass tastes like? On second thought, nevermind.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
11/18/10 9:57 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I'll have to disagree with you there. With all of the fine things you can do to vodka like olives and vermouth... Red Bull is right between furniture polish and drain cleaner on the list.

I don't know, some times a little OE is ok, I prefer the lemon flavor. Never tried drain cleaner.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
11/18/10 10:07 a.m.

http://www.bumwine.com/
Here are some other high class alternatives, just substiute the caffeine buzz for a sugar buzz.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
11/18/10 10:10 a.m.

They are banning it at Boston College due to the dangers it poses to your health. So naturally, kids are stocking up and having "RIP FourLoco" parties. Who wants to bet some schmuck dies while protesting the college's decision...perfectly proving their point?

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
11/18/10 10:19 a.m.

I believe New York has already banned the stuff.

I have a tough time thinking banning the stuff is the right course of action. May make it more attractive. Probably would have been just another fad to come and go had they left it alone. Now the stuff will reach cult status.

11/18/10 10:20 a.m.

The BAN is the is the best marketing tool ever to kids. It is brilliant - telling someone they cannot have this terrible, foul swill is a guarantee they will stock-pile it. I'm pretty sure cocaine and marijuana are banned too. A bottle of grain is more nasty and 10x more dangerous but it's far too common and not even slightly banned.

As an aside - I always laugh when I hear institutions with zero authority "banning" things. From the Catlicks with birth control all the way down to PSU and throwing snowballs. Its less effective than silence.

Gimp
Gimp Dork
11/18/10 10:29 a.m.

My brother and I drink it when he comes into town. Think of it as a more adult version of "who can punch the hardest".

Recently, in MD, there was a very sad story about a 95lb girl who slammed two and then got in a truck, drove into a pole, and died. They are blaming the booze and trying to get it banned. So much for personal responsibility. I wonder if it would be such news if she had slammed two of anything else...

The FourLoco didn't kill her, driving drunk did.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
11/18/10 10:39 a.m.

First they came for my FourLoko and I didn't say anything because I was smashed. Then they came for my...wait, I don't remember this bit...

Jay
Jay Dork
11/18/10 10:52 a.m.

This is what you get when you make the drinking age dumb-frat-boy-living-away-from-momma-for-the-first-time age. My parents let me have wine and beer when I was like 14 and I think I developed a smarter attitude toward booze than anyone who drinks that E36 M3.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
11/18/10 11:00 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
mtn wrote: All flavors are horrid, certain flavors are less horrid than others.
Red Bull and Vodka accomplishes the same thing without tasting like ass.

Ah, but Red Bull does taste like ass. And I can't take any vodka. I can taste vodka in anything. Bad memories are invoked.

In any case, I'll stick with my beer, whiskey, and kahluah on a cold morning if I'm not doing anything that day.

triumph5
triumph5 HalfDork
11/18/10 11:23 a.m.

one thing to remember in this discussion: it's convenient. No mixing X+Y in a glass. Just walk into the store, pays your money, walk out, and start drinking. Looks like an energy drink to the casual observer.

Before the party and way over-indulgence by 9 attendees, I bet most people could sit down at lunch, in their company's cafeteria, McDonalds, etc, and drink it--and nothing would be said. .

integraguy
integraguy Dork
11/18/10 12:12 p.m.

It made the newspaper here, tho I didn't bother to read the story. I don't think it's the matter of the alcohol-caffeine mix, so much as it's appearance as a "harmless" can of soda.

I sure hope Drew Carey was able to get a few bucks out of this idea....remember when he came up with BUZZ beer?

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
11/18/10 1:35 p.m.

Oh no! My precious little child never would have gotten drunk if it wasn't for this vile evil drink that was created to kill people!

Some college kids went ape-E36 M3 stupid and drank to much. What else is new? This is just an easy target, because the caffeine masks the alcohol.

Personal responsibility people!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2WGiZJlAn5DCzf4r626miBlhyZ1YqW1WI3NYa6fet6BhtIhc266V5MJubLMajFpW