John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/20/18 9:25 a.m.

I am a Sirius/XM subscriber.  I am in the car enough to justify the expense.  

Overheard on the waves...This is a free radio week/weekend.  If you have a car that is equipped to receive Sirius/XM then you will get free service this holiday weekend.  I think they said it also is free if you just download the app.  This would then give you road tunes through BT or 3.5mm jack.  

I thought you might like to know and would like to have some tunes if you're on the road, headed over the hill and through the woods this holiday weekend.  

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/20/18 9:26 a.m.

ah, that explains why I actually had Sirius working in the Fiat.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
11/20/18 9:36 a.m.

I enjoy sirius,   just not enough for $10 a month plus the $40? year maint fee.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
11/20/18 9:45 a.m.
Grtechguy said:

I enjoy sirius,   just not enough for $10 a month plus the $40? year maint fee.

It's a bit of a pain, but if you call before the end of your promotional period, they'll give you a new one and you can avoid some of that crap.  We have it in both of our cars, as I enjoy it.  I'm not really into podcasts., there's only one I listen to (EveryoneRacers, it's awesome), and I hate regular FM radio.  I don't recall what I pay exactly, but it's something around $8-$10/month all in.  For me, it's money well spent, as I'm in the car a lot.  I actually need to call them today, as one of my cars is up in early December.  I may cough up the extra money to be able to download it on my phone.

No Time
No Time Dork
11/20/18 10:00 a.m.

I just checked, the last deal I got was $34/car for 6 months.

I did that on both cars and have streaming as part of it. 

I may cancel when it’s up in December and go to the Amazon Music Unlimited family plan and just stream.

It’s a little more $ than the XM promo rates, but I can pick artists, songs, or stations to listen to, and have multiple users stream at the same time.  

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/20/18 10:16 a.m.

The last time mine ran out I called and complained about the price and also got 6months at $34.  I need it because the local stations are terrible. Not one of them plays any polka. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/20/18 10:43 a.m.

Here's the way to get it for cheap. I paid for it for years because it's great for cross-country towing in the empty Southwest.

- set an alarm in your phone to call and cancel a week before the promotion runs out

- call to cancel. They will bargain with you, but the first offer will be high. Stick it out until you get to the $5/month level. They will give you a prorated credit for that final week

- repeat

If you do let it expire, they will send you increasingly hysterical emails and letters to get you back online at $5/month. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
11/20/18 12:19 p.m.

I just bought a ,"home" Sirius  new in the box  at the swap meet for $1 , can I use it on my brother's car account ?

If not what is the cheapest way to get it working ,  as I really don't know if I will even like it or use it much , 

And are they only good in the 48 USA states ?

Thanks for the info

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
11/20/18 5:58 p.m.

It makes the 80 mile/day drive bearable. 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/20/18 6:00 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

I needed a sub for each radio.  If you get one turned on though you can stream anywhere through a phone app or a computer when you’re away from the radio.

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
11/20/18 6:03 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I just bought a ,"home" Sirius  new in the box  at the swap meet for $1 , can I use it on my brother's car account ?

If not what is the cheapest way to get it working ,  as I really don't know if I will even like it or use it much , 

And are they only good in the 48 USA states ?

Thanks for the info

It works where I live in the 49th state. Not enough value for me to buy it.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/20/18 6:07 p.m.

It also works in most of Canada. It keeps me from killing people during my commute.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
11/20/18 6:29 p.m.

Thanks,  I can see it being good for long commutes or cross country , but Sirius started out before internet streaming  so not as needed now , 

I am sure there are come channels that are Sirius only and that may be worth it ......

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nQTfAxJzCnqGNgUflaSkbWfBPr5915IQgmCral7BUw1uW77O6PTykwon828xAa0x