2 3 4
slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
12/25/20 8:07 a.m.

Last-minute Christmas train.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/26/20 7:09 p.m.

I've been buying too much stuff also.  In part due to the enablement on GRM, I have decided I need a permanent place to run trains.  So...I decided the barn has space and started some bench work for a mostly-shelf-style layout.  In HO (even though when I was a kid I set my sights on N scale).  

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
12/26/20 11:13 p.m.
ClemSparks said:

I've been buying too much stuff also.  In part due to the enablement on GRM, I have decided I need a permanent place to run trains.  So...I decided the barn has space and started some bench work for a mostly-shelf-style layout.  In HO (even though when I was a kid I set my sights on N scale).  

Welcome to the club...

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/27/20 7:33 a.m.
slowbird said:

There are 4 locomotives in the lot. The best of the bunch is this Kato SD90/43MAC.

I only have 2 N scale locomotives in my collection (until another one comes in the mail tomorrow wink).  One is the Bachmann F unit that came with my starter set when I was, like, 12.  The other is a Kato that I got on clearance at a hobby shop I worked at in high school.  The difference in quality is staggering.  The Kato is SO smooth and just glides.  I bet you're going to love that UP SD!

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
12/31/20 9:52 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

It's true. Everyone talks up Kato and I think it's justified. I'm stoked to try more of their stuff in the future.

What, it's new year's eve already? I promised layout building before 2021! Welp...I found a tape measure, and marked a piece of wood for cutting. I found a rusty hacksaw and plugged in the cordless drill to charge. That's good enough for tonight, I'll do more tomorrow. Probably.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/31/20 10:52 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Check out the cheap Facebook RR thread.  I posted some very cheap, at the moment, brass HO imports. I know you'd dig them.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/5/21 9:20 p.m.
slowbird said:

In reply to ClemSparks :

It's true. Everyone talks up Kato and I think it's justified. I'm stoked to try more of their stuff in the future.

What, it's new year's eve already? I promised layout building before 2021! Welp...I found a tape measure, and marked a piece of wood for cutting. I found a rusty hacksaw and plugged in the cordless drill to charge. That's good enough for tonight, I'll do more tomorrow. Probably.

Apologies for taking so long, but you have a box of 1/87 scale goodies headed your way. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/6/21 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Thank you, that's very kind of you! smiley

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/8/21 6:27 p.m.

Thanks again, Recon1342! Your package got here today. I opened it to find a very nice surprise:

That's right, a cute little 0-4-0 tank engine (one of my favorite types of steam locos), and a Santa Fe F7 A-B pair in the lovely blue and yellow colors. All look to be in very good condition as well. I really like these and I'm very grateful.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/8/21 9:18 p.m.
slowbird said:

Thanks again, Recon1342! Your package got here today. I opened it to find a very nice surprise:

That's right, a cute little 0-4-0 tank engine (one of my favorite types of steam locos), and a Santa Fe F7 A-B pair in the lovely blue and yellow colors. All look to be in very good condition as well. I really like these and I'm very grateful.

That 0-4-0 is one of my favorites. Every HO scale layout I've ever had had one. B and O livery.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/8/21 9:25 p.m.
slowbird said:

Those Athearn F7s have DCC decoders in them. The address is the three digit number written on the box. I believe they are dual-mode, and so should run on DC as well. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/8/21 9:35 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I did peek under the shell and see those. I'm planning on getting a DCC system in a few months so that will be really cool to have some locos ready to go laugh

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PF0qDWIeesqtQdpn43P34e7bw59QOQvLLfyc3z44Cq0ePj7Tsoj6yw354dqmYkMI