pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
3/16/20 10:46 a.m.

Saw this on Ebay motors:

at the bottom it says this:

Yep, I was interested in a 400+ HP Nationally-competitive XP car, but that 2003 Corolla CE is equally interesting to me. NOT.

adam525i
adam525i HalfDork
3/16/20 11:06 a.m.

Yeah, I can't believe they aren't showing you all the other race prepared Corolla's they have available right now!

Floating Doc
Floating Doc UltraDork
3/16/20 11:50 a.m.

How about a Vibe GT?

Curtis73
Curtis73 MegaDork
3/16/20 12:09 p.m.

With all the strange things I shop for at the theater, Amazon has some really wild recommendations for me.

I have shopped for bulk condoms (we put mic transmitters in them so sweaty actors don't kill them), dildos, severed heads, glass bongs, fake vomit, taxidermy poodles, and light sabers.

So far, I've been able to keep the algorithm completely confused and it keeps suggesting things that have nothing to do with any of the above.  Yesterday I got a recommendation for a shovel.  Sometimes I search for completely random things if the algorithm starts getting close.  If I start getting suggestions for LED strip lights again, I might throw in a search for Abe Vigoda, pasta sauce, and microbiotics textbooks.  Even better, maybe a search for Abe+Vigoda+Pasta+Microbiotics+Textbook.

Somewhere at Amazon, a processor overclocks.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/16/20 12:13 p.m.
Curtis73 said:

With all the strange things I shop for at the theater, Amazon has some really wild recommendations for me.

I have shopped for bulk condoms (we put mic transmitters in them so sweaty actors don't kill them), dildos, severed heads, glass bongs, fake vomit, taxidermy poodles, and light sabers.

So far, I've been able to keep the algorithm completely confused and it keeps suggesting things that have nothing to do with any of the above.  Yesterday I got a recommendation for a shovel. 

A shovel seems fairly related to me. Surely you need to bury a body by now.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/16/20 12:21 p.m.

They don't call it "artificial" intelligence for nothing.

Curtis73
Curtis73 MegaDork
3/16/20 12:22 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
Curtis73 said:

So far, I've been able to keep the algorithm completely confused and it keeps suggesting things that have nothing to do with any of the above.  Yesterday I got a recommendation for a shovel. 

A shovel seems fairly related to me. Surely you need to bury a body by now.

Shhh.  The AI is listening.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/16/20 12:23 p.m.
Curtis73 said:

I'm trying to concoct a scenario in which all those items are used on stage all at once. What I've come up with is ludicrous.  And glorious. 

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/16/20 2:48 p.m.

I occasionally buy vinyl LPs on Ebay, and lately the algorithm decided that I should be interested in Japanese cheesecake records with topless ladies on the covers. They stay on the splash page for weeks on end, preventing me from looking at Ebay with my wife or kids in the room. And there is no way to make them go away. It's quite annoying that I can't mouse over these things and select "not interested." (I mean, I am, to a degree...But there doesn't need to be non-dismissable un-censored breasts on the Ebay front page.)

Will
Will UltraDork
3/16/20 3:14 p.m.

Somewhere I have a screen shot of Amazon recommending me three pairs of Saucony shoes and a pharaoh costume.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iWWN4tO0OhWyALcsfiggvV1pqrdxd6XUovkPrvTQNJNtd8JHqQyvR7d8XXttR730